Midi control of mute/unmute /volume ?

Hi,

It seems I can't control by a midi controller mute/unmute/volume on the mixer of BM3, not even the master volume !
Am I wrong ?
Could it be added in a future release ?

Comments

• I suspect it will come at some point, but because of the complexity of the pad/bank paradigm a good bit of thought will need to go in to it, simple MIDI control is one thing, but those controls are commonly feedback for touch and motor faders etc.

• Well, I agree, but at least for the master, that shouldn't change too much...
    With a good premix, and 2 midi controls on the master (volume - mute/unmute) that would cover 90% of my needs :)

I guess I might try to emulate this with an effect plugin...I can control the gain with perforator for instance, but it's not very clean and cpu consuming...

• If you are that desperate, double click the volume handle on the fader in the mixer, assign a macro to the control, assign MIDI controller to the macro, obviously that can only be done on 16 channels.

• edited July 2018

Oh oh !! Great tip, thanks !
    I've "migrate" one iPad from AUM+Modstep to BM3, that was my last issue...(I found a work around for the midi clock ATM...)
    Will see tomorrow if it's stable with all my midi exports and playing with knobs... :)

Then I'll "migrate" other iPads...niaaaark :D

• I perform live with BM3 and achieve full mixer MIDI control by hosting all my instruments inside a single bank and assigning macros.

• edited July 2018

@OscarSouth all your instruments in one bank ? You mean on each pad, one synth ? You may assign a different channel on each pad ?
    Or I just misanderstood? And it’s a session with as many banks as synths ?

• @OscarSouth said:
    I perform live with BM3 and achieve full mixer MIDI control by hosting all my instruments inside a single bank and assigning macros.

I still have nightmares about the first forum battle which was to use only one bank to contain everything. But I think I might be able to make that work now. Each pad can have a separate synth, with separate fx, and separate midi settings from the other pads in the bank. You just have to deal with only using one pattern at a time, with extensive use of that "keys" button in the pattern editor. And color code the pads to help keep them distinguished from one another.

• @ronji hmm...but why would you want such thing ? Can’t you just select the bank you want, and voilà ?

• Also, Remember you can layer patterns over each other Song mode.

But it's no fun.

• @tk32 said:
    Also, Remember you can layer patterns over each other Song mode.

But it's no fun.

So true! I want it to either work way better somehow, or I don't want it to be possible to lay patters over each other.

@crony I don't know, necessarily, beyond not having to switch banks to control the faders? @OscarSouth seems to be the main proponent of the one bank method, so perhaps they can elaborate.

• @ronji I'll describe how I've go tit set up a little:

Pads 1-8 host two 'custom' instruments that suited being split up across four pads each.

Pads 9-16 are are mix of (mainly) BM3 sampler instruments and a couple of AU instruments -- plus a few exceptions (see below).

Pads 17-32 hold some particularly layered drum samples (a subset from the BM3 IAP ones with all the effects ripped out). I'd actually like to consolidate these to less pads, but I don't think there's a way to copy sample layers from one pad to another.

(below) I have a few extra instruments and some bus send effects on my second iPad, and MIDI is coming into both from externally (variety of controllers and a sequencer). I have some pads in BM3 just holding a single silent sample (mapped to a note that's never going to be received) which listen for the same MIDI data that's going to the other device. All devices are synced with Link, so I can capture my entire session in MIDI as a BM3 pattern (theoretically -- I prepared it conceptually and played a little but never really use that functionality).

More usefully to me than recording the entire rig to a pattern with one button is that I don't ever need to touch the device in performance to have full control of the mixer -- its all logically grouped to macros and assigned to hardware faders, and as it's all in one back it's always all 'in focus'.

• @5pinlink tested, working, but just for volume as mute aren't midi controllable at all... :(

• @OscarSouth said:
    I perform live with BM3 and achieve full mixer MIDI control by hosting all my instruments inside a single bank and assigning macros.

Yeah, Oscar!
    +1 for the single bank workflow :)

• @DeanDaughters said:

@OscarSouth said:

Yeah, Oscar!
    +1 for the single bank workflow :)

Plus it’s so much fun to watch all your pads flashing as midi info comes in.

BM3 is rock solid for performance!

• @crony said:
    @5pinlink tested, working, but just for volume as mute aren't midi controllable at all... :(

If there is volume CC control then you can make a mute button, just set up your MIDI controller so that the button sends the same MIDI CC as the mixer channel volume, the button should send 0 or 127 value, in effect it becomes a MIDI mute without ever needing the mute in the software to be CCable.

Yes we need CC everywhere, but that will work you round for now.

• @5pinlink yeah...I know...hmm...need to set the volume of each synth also in that case...
    I guess I have no other choice atm right...

• I have no idea what you mean, i was just saying if you have MIDI volume then you have MIDI mute too.

All workarounds right now, but we cant have everything at once, unfortunately @mathieugarcia is only human and not yet cloned either, annoying but true.

• No mute is not volume.
    If you unmute at highest volume, you need to control the volume on the synth itself and indeed emulate mute/unmute by 0/127, that's what I wanted to avoid, because I have also a limited number of midi controls...
    Too bad to see that's just 1 developper for such a big (and great) software.
    Waited a long time before buying this app, to avoid such winning on forums...Anyway, I'll wait more... :)

• Your buttons on your controller should have an editor, i only said 0/127 to show they are absolute, but it is indeed Mute, I thought you wanted to do MIDI mute performances, not sure how anybody could find mutes useful on only 16 channels otherwise ? 16 mutes is not enough for setting up mutes for a mix controller.

Anyway there is anther workaround if you use the sampler, just mute the volume in the sampler rather than the mixer, that way the mute is a mute but you mixer volume will remain relative, if you are using synths or audio tracks this wont work, sorry.

• edited July 2018

Obviously, using synths...🤪
    I have editors for my controllers, just saying there’s a physical limitation ( regarding simply the total number of them...) and the ergonomy I’d like to achieve with them...
    Thanks anyway

• Unfortunately nothing is obviously, when questions are posted on forums, not all info is supplied so nothing is obvious, so posting workarounds is always ambiguous.

• That was a joke...As "obviously" I was in the case your trick couldn't be applied, and I knew it cos I knew this possible workaround already...Was making fun of my "No luck for me on this one" :)

• edited July 2018

@5pinlink hmm...Sorry but I tried out the Macro control to control the volume of the master into BM3...And it didn't work...
    I clicked on the volume, bind to macro 1, then going to midi list, assign macro 1 to a midi controller...It recognize it and save as the controller.
    Then, using it doesn't move nor have any action to the volume bar...
    The CC on the midi controller is a rotary, echoing 0 to 127 no problem...Works perfectly fine with AUM.
    Am I forgetting something ?

• Oh la la ...
    It seems the master track as to be selected to let activate the macro...
    Can't be that limited, right ??

• edited August 2018

Mouahaha...
    As I wanted to make a mute button by redirecting all my synths to an Aux, then assign a Macro 0 to 127 to this Aux, I'm facing 2 issues:
    1.As the Macro assigned need to be on the selected track, I can't control the master volume and get a mute/unmute at the same time.
    2.Sending to an Aux does not allow to get the synth track of the master ! So I still have the sound going to the master as well of the send...

Hmm...That's really not super cool at all...
    Unmute/unmute, that's okay, but the "Macro only active on selected track where the macro is set" is just very annoying...

• Now you know why it was suggested to use a single bank, so that that bank is selected.

• edited August 2018

I must admit that combine patterns and synths on the same bank just blows my mind at the moment...