ERNs (v0.99 Preview Available Now!)

2»

Comments

• @mefisme said:

@aaronp said:
    @mefisme Just wanted to follow up that I've enjoyed what you've done here. I think I'll get a lot of use out of this with a little work. Looking forward to what comes next.

Appreciate this comment. Any questions so far?

I think I get it fine. Those parts I don't get seem to be unfinished, such as the empty patterns (which could be really useful for writing music based on unusual scales when BM3 implements note folding in the piano roll, btw).

The most confusing thing at first is that you want to assume that all 64 pads in the initial layout are to be played, whereas only the first 12 pads are really necessary to select. The rest are actually the exposed guts of your system. Not much you can do about this, I guess.

• @aaronp I appreciate the feedback here a lot. You’re the first. :)

I think I get it fine. Those parts I don't get seem to be unfinished, such as the empty patterns (which could be really useful for writing music based on unusual scales when BM3 implements note folding in the piano roll, btw).

The empty patterns in the next preview 1.0 will be fully functional and will make more sense. They are right now empty and only a visual representation of how this bank will use patterns for actual baked in interactivity right in BM3. This is why last 4 pads have x’s. You are also right on point that a current limitation of Beatmaker 3 is no ability to fold notes. Meaning things can get layered in the pattern editor if you aren’t careful

The most confusing thing at first is that you want to assume that all 64 pads in the initial layout are to be played, whereas only the first 12 pads are really necessary to select. The rest are actually the exposed guts of your system. Not much you can do about this, I guess.

:) That’s because it is playable and meant to be played if a user decides to. The first 12 pads are the major pentatonic scales. They are, just like the minor pentatonics, the most abused scales in music and great for improvisation over other musical pieces.

Also, The whole bank itself is a mutating instrument for your samples and plugins that can be played if users wish to use it this way. That’s why it’s tuned the way it is by default. Because the root note of each pad is playable when you tap a pad. It starts with C1 and ends on C6. But as you change scales around and modes, it becomes a different instrument outside of KEYS. Chords are fully playable as well. It’s super-polyphonic for lack of a better word.

This is part of a creative experiment involving making and playing music by evolution of extended use and for creating alternate perceptions. It’s an inspirational tool and helps with writers block. An idea house. You can in fact play outside of keys mode and inside keys mode with this and everything will get recorded if you wish to use it this way. Even as you change modes scales keys on any pad, the whole bank itself becomes this new weird instrument every time you change something.

The M1 was only included for three reasons. Training, layering, and to showcase this concept of making BM3 banks super instruments themselves and not just pads you have to go into to play. This thing also supports drumming and sequencing plugins. Beats gets really weird with this thing.

• Ok. Guess I need to go get my readers. The tiny text was lost on me, and the additional options. Lots to chew on. Thx

• @aaronp said:
    Ok. Guess I need to go get my readers. The tiny text was lost on me, and the additional options. Lots to chew on. Thx

I'm sorry I type so much text. Ive thrown a quick video together showing ERNs as a super instrument but with beats instead. I'll have it posted shortly.

• edited February 2018

Well I was tired enough at 4am and forgot to post the video. Wish I was speaking clearly in this, but I did this right before falling asleep. Sorry if there are poor word choices in my explanations. I am too tired to teach anything here for sure. If I sound stuffy, it's because Im sick. Lol.

EDIT: for higher-quality watch on an android device or in the YouTube app. Apparently my embed videos don’t play in HD.

• Requesting someone send me a ERNs rezip. I have unfortunately lost it. Does anyone have a copy they would be willing to upload? If so, PM me or reshare for all please and thank you!

• @mefisme said:
    Requesting someone send me a ERNs rezip. I have unfortunately lost it. Does anyone have a copy they would be willing to upload? If so, PM me or reshare for all please and thank you!

Here you go! https://www.dropbox.com/s/66xldllmfj9dvjw/ERNs v0_99 - Preview.zip?dl=0
    I added this to our Beatmaker 3 Dropbox repo, into the utilities folder. It might get reorganized at some point, so if someone tries this link in the future and it’s broken, look for a new link in this thread or in the resources forum.

• @ronji you are awesome! Thank you and internally grateful to you and that it’s archived.

• edited August 2018

@mefisme said:
    @ronji you are awesome! Thank you and internally grateful to you and that it’s archived.

This x10000
    Big ups to @ronji for hosting most of the forum resources ;)

• @mefisme Looking forward to V.1.

• As mentioned, I’m not sure what this does, but I’m curious, every link I’ve tried to get to DB, is not linking. I tried the APC link too, and nothing. If I can get the script, I’ll grab an old APC tonight :) (on a different thread) but same issue, dead links 🤷‍♂️
    I have a launchpad pro. Would love to see an implementation! If there is a place to start the programming,, I haven’t coded much, but a script to control BeatMaker 3 with LPP that would be slick. Very abletonlike, I’ve been mucking around for two days, and there are small details.... audio recording “clips” or “patterns” if I gather the terminology correct. I dig where music & technology are colliding these days 🎤🎸🎤🎼🎼🎼🍻

Thank you, I’m excited 🎉🎉🎉
    Stylie

My apologies, If I posted in the incorrect area.