BM3 Battle 12 - A Cappella Bel Canto Vocals Only (Deadline September 16th)

THE RULES:

VOCALS ONLY. This may include any choir samples, singing, vocal chants, hums, ethnic/tribal vocals. This may also include any beat boxing. Basically, ANY noises that can be made with the mouth!

Some iOS app suggestions are Jussi, iSymphonic (the choir packs), VoxSyn, iVoxel, and DerVoco.

Inspirational tracks include music by Boyz II Men, Pentatonix, Take 6, and Jacob Collier.

A recent track I’ve really been liking is “Boss” by Beyonce and Jay Z. Check out how the vocals are used in that (although this track does include drums and horns).

Submission deadline is MIDNIGHT September 16th (what time zone are we talking about? LOL).

(The below information has been copied from a previous battle post)

"How to submit an entry:

Don’t just post a Soundcloud link!! Submit your entry by PM'ing a download link to @5pinlink (Dropbox/WeTransfer/etc.)

@5pinlink will randomise the entries and obfuscate them by assigning a track number to each, then uploads to a forum SoundCloud account in bulk.

@tk32 will list all the anonymous tracks in the voting thread.

This has the added benefit of giving us access to high res original copies of all entries — not the ones mangled by SoundCloud — which could be used for mixtapes, compilations, or just for archiving."

Enjoy making some noises with your (or someone’s) mouths!

Comments

• Thanks @dafingaz

This one's gonna be interesting. I guess I better start humming :)

• @dafingaz do the sounds have to be recognizable?

• Gonna publicly throw my hat in the ring so that I actually participate in one of these for a change. Y'all can shame me later if I don't finish this one

• edited August 2018

Glad to have you onboard @XanderJames

:)

• edited August 2018

@XanderJames - Welcome to the Arena! B)

• @denx as long as the source is a vocal or mouth noise, we don’t have to recognize it. Feel free to chop up and sample any vocals you come across. FX are allowed also. Unless others disagree. Lol.

• For example, to create my "bass sound" - I might record some mouth noises into BM3, then zoom waaay in on them and try to find what looks like a single cycle sine wav... Loop that so it will sustain, and off I go.... ;)

• I kind of don't see the point of any of these rules if single cycles can be used, you could actually say "You can only use the sound of your finger tapping on a banana" and i'm pretty sure by zooming in and using normalise on certain parts of a single cycle i can make pretty much any shape i want.

Then again i don't actually take part, just seems like the rules are a bit pointless from the outside.

• Have to agree with 5p on this. I also love bananas.

• No offence Dean, but I agree with 5pin here.

If you're building a bass from your voice, I wanna hear you singing "bomm boom buh-boom" rather than a sine wave ;)

• @huphtur said:
    Have to agree with 5p on this. I also love bananas.

Only organic ones though, those generic supermarket ones are sludge.

• While I agree that it sort of nullifies the point of the rules, I think there's value in single cycle and resampling techniques. It helps people learn and experiment with different tools in BM3 and perhaps explore different forms of sound design that they'd otherwise look over. If someone used single cycle sounds for EVERY element of the challenge, then sure that could be seen as ignoring the rules. Ultimately it's up to the community to judge what is and what is not acceptable in regards to 'rule bending'.

It'll work itself out in the votes.

• It can't work itself out in the votes, the songs are anonymous, so even if somebody says how they made their song before the vote, you wont know which song it is.

• What I'm trying to say is if it sounds good, and you feel the song adheres to the rules close enough, it deserves your vote. Don't let the technique get in the way of your critique.

• Time for me to move on, ill just stick to doing the obfuscating hahaha.

• Whatever you all decide. I probably will not go the single cycle route, but @DeanDaughters maybe the forum will grant you a pass or a pardon? Lol.

Also, everyone feel fee to add me on social media. I’m @dafingaz everywhere (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).

• so we're not allowed to do sound design with mouth noises, just use raw mouth noises only.... i'm a little white dude... not bass mouth willie? :| :|

:D

• edited August 2018

If you asked me to make a sturdy pot out of clay, and I said "sure, but first I'm going to break this mud down into atomic particles and reconstitute the substance as titanium steel", you'd probably say "nice trick, but hey that's cheating!"

That's the problem with single cycles.

• edited August 2018

I personally do not agree if you make them from the allowed source material.
    It is sound design, which is kind of the point to these battles for me.

In the end, It's going to be horses for courses imho, just difference of personal opinion.

(+1 for good use of UK slang(?) at least? :D )

• edited August 2018

wouldn't it naturally come down then to having to make ALL YOUR OWN un-effected mouth noises?
    I can sample an outside mouth, but not sound design with my own.. ?

Seems kinda counter-intuitive to me...

I.E. if you used a choir sample, you didn't really use all that much creativity there....?

I'll do what's agreed on regardless... :) :)

• edited August 2018

FYI there is a ton of single cycles in resources, near enough all except the standard shapes are from vocals of one kind or another, so you can pretty much use all my single cycle synths from resources ;)
    https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/6502/synth-02-instruments-misc

• @DeanDaughters said:
    so we're not allowed to do sound design with mouth noises, just use raw mouth noises only.... i'm a little white dude... not bass mouth willie? :| :|

:D

But you can sample bmw and use that 😋

• @DeanDaughters said:
    I personally do not agree if you make them from the allowed source material.
    It is sound design, which is kind of the point to these battles for me.

I agree, as long as the battle master does not explicitly forbids it in the rules. I might try and make something without single cycle stuff for once, though, regardless 😎

• @tk32 said:

If you asked me to make a sturdy pot out of clay, and I said "sure, but first I'm going to break this mud down into atomic particles and reconstitute the substance as titanium steel", you'd probably say "nice trick, but hey that's cheating!"

That's the problem with single cycles.

Yes and no. My voice seldom contains a perfect sine wave 😉

• I have no problem with single cycles, mouth noises, and mouth sound design. As long as it comes from the mouth (pause). LOL. I'm not sure who the battle master is though. Hopefully not me. LOL...

Also, do I submit mine as an entry or just post it here on the forum?

• @dafingaz As an entry, cuz you might win again, and that's fine!

• I don't wanna get too specific, but do mouth powered instruments count? Or is that where we draw the line, cuz that's not a capella?

• 'Beautiful singing' - uh-oh.... Now I am realllly in trouble!!! :D

• I think that os just the title forthe comp/SC playlist ala 'woodrat' and 'one synth only vasily'
    Expecting beautiful singing is pushing it a bit far for most of the earths population lol.

• LOLOL. Doesn't have to be beautiful singing. But let's aim for no mouth instruments (maybe that can be an idea for a future contest?).