Do we have this feature yet/When will we have it?

edited September 2018 in General

Can we record scenes into song mode yet? We are almost a year since Resident Advisor's very favourable review:

"Intua seems to have taken inspiration from Native Instruments Maschine, particularly in the sequencing workflow. As with the previous versions, you'll find a typical song-based linear sequencer and pattern editor. Now there is a Scene Mode that works very similarly to its counterpart in Maschine. Scene Mode helps you build a structure by selecting patterns for each track, with the goal in mind of developing a full song using these building blocks. Conceptually, this design is a great way to break through arrangement roadblocks. But in practice, this is one area where Beatmaker 3 feels a little rough around the edges. Creating patterns in Scene Mode takes multiple button presses, and there's no way to easily record a performance into Song Mode. " Full Review

Comments

• edited September 2018

Is this supposed to be a motivational post?

For what it's worth, I don't think trying to shame developers helps - in any way.

• Where was the shaming part?

• edited September 2018

Can we record scenes into song mode yet

Everyone knows the answer to this question already...

We are almost a year since

In other words, "hurry up, I expect this feature by now"

• Hurry up? :/

With the company itself saying frequently updated to bring more exciting features... and not hearing anything in many months, I don’t see this as futureaztec shaming them - in any way. Asking where a feature is after zero updates is just asking for a feature.

Hurry up? It’s been 8 months since a feature has been updated.

• edited September 2018

'Resident Advisor has issued feedback. Why has song mode recording protocol not been initiated? Are you not a productive team?'

• edited September 2018

@drez
    It's clear to all of us that @mathieugarcia has not given up working on BM3, nor has he given up keeping a very close supporting eye on this community.

It's clear to me that something pretty significant has affected the original development plans over the last 6 months. Either it's something personal - in which case none of our business - or else it's something majorly technical. in which case he has my full respect and patience to work through it accordingly. Whatever it was, I don't feel it's our right to demand a particular pace of updates. We're not paying subscribers, after all.

Please remember that most of these apps, and plugins, are being made by lone developers, most of whom only get paid on the initial purchase of an app. I paid £20 for BM3. I've had tons more value out of it than that already. whatever new features may (or may not) appear I see as a bonus. Free content.

• @tk32 said:
    It's clear to me that something pretty significant has affected the original development plans over the last 6 months.

Artists rendition...

• The company said Beatmaker was updated frequently at each update, the screengrab above proves that was correct at time of posting, it was the most frequently updated DAW on IOS.
    I dont think they have claimed it is frequently updated since the last update.
    So lets not bring that one up again.

That being said, we all want updates, we all want new features, we all want fixes.

Why the latest update hasn’t arrived is non of our business, we aren’t shareholders in the company, but yes we are all extremely passionate about B3 so these threads will keep popping up.

Rest assured i do chat to @mathieugarcia and he is even more passionate about B3 than any of us, we are just going to have to wait this one out until the next update arrives ;)

• Over the past nine months my experience using the app has really transformed and grown without updates. The more I use it the better it gets.

• I'm with @tk32 and @5pinlink . Would these features be welcome additions? Absolutely. My first post on this forum was a wish list. That being said, after using BM3 for a few months there's not been a single bug or missing feature that's stopped me from completing a piece of music. I understand people's frustrations with the wait time, but this is deja vu with Live 8-9 all over again. All that is good comes to those who wait.

• All I’m saying is shooting the original poster in the foot because he’s asked about an update to a feature that clearly wasn’t fleshed out when it came out after months of zero updates to a product that was said to be updated frequently doesn’t make sense. It’s a simple question. Is there a reason why it shouldn’t be asked? There used to be conversations about feature when the first updates up to and just after the last update, and discussions about when all the time. I didn’t see the outrage about such questions at that time. Now a guy asks “hey, do you think this feature might ever get improved on?” and it’s met with how dare you, good sir as if he’s demanding something. There was no such tone in the post.

I apologize @futureaztec I didn’t mean to derail your thread, but after the responses I’ve seen, I’m pretty sure it was going to go something like this regardless.

To answer your question based on what I have observed over the last several months, the feature may or may not be dealt with, but it is of my personal opinion that it probably will not be. The longer it takes to release software, the harder it is to ever do so, and even harder to release quality software or features that can be changed. You just can’t release software once a year and expect it to be effectively maintained. It can be updated but there are so many changes that have occurred over that time that it becomes unstable and unweildy. You can have the best handful of beta testers but it doesn’t beat quick releases with limited scope to the masses so that you can adjust quickly.

Hopefully it’s been a hiatus from Intua and not piling a shed load of features into a .5 release. But lack of communication doesn’t bring me confidence one way or another.

These are my personal opinions, nothing more.

• edited September 2018

@drez said:
    Now a guy asks “hey, do you think this feature might ever get improved on?” and it’s >met with how dare you, good sir as if he’s demanding something. There was no >such tone in the post

Source your quote please. ;)

(Ps. It seemed passive agressive to me as clearly the question was insincere in that they know the answer.)

• A little sarcastic questioning I think in which we all knew what the answer was.

I have seen way more outright shameful posts than this but I get it. It’s tuff to enjoy a product that we all paid for and it feels like it is forgotten. A couple updates of bug fixes here and there would prob go along way with quieting the crowds. I really have a hard time with scene modes when I can just do the same in the timeline with a loop so maybe that can fix the op problem. Just a suggestion, arrows down boys lol.

Truthfully maybe a post everyone once in a while from intua can help. That’s just the important part of business that can go a long way especially since these are there forums. I’ve learned to work around the crashes and sound freezes and the constant saving after every touch of the screen. We just want stability and confidence in knowing that there is a future in a product we all bleed for and care about.

• @Audiogus said:

I stand corrected I didn’t see all that. Good looking out. My apologies

• Something is happen of course but why not give @mathieugarcia some confidence?
    I finally not using BM3 due my workflow and step up learning curve but I can see how the amazing work done worth the money expent.

C’mo guys the app isn’t broken or nothing similar. Just enjoy what you get and wait for new awesome updates. It’s just a matter of time...

• @stormywaterz said:
    It’s tuff to enjoy a product that we all paid for and it feels like it is forgotten.

To be fair, there are just as many, if not more users that didn't pay for the software ;)

• edited September 2018

I'll jump in on the hijack here.

I don't have any significant technical issues with BM3 myself and use it almost every day. I bought it on release day for a great price and I'm happy to have supported the developers of the software financially in doing so.

I don't mind the long delay since BM3 already does everything I need of it on a day to day basis. Of course I'm slightly impatient in anticipation of new things, but that's just part of the ride!

But.. I do have to say that the combination of giving away the app for free (which I don't mind independently as I paid a discounted price which bought me a lot more time to learn and use the app) and since then seeing complete silence in terms of a long anticipated update (with a lot of rumours swirling about beta versions expired etc.) HAS given me an irrational gut feeling that something not in my interest is going on. It's not a feeling that I want to put any trust in or to act on, and Mathieu has even personally responded to some enquiries I've made on the forum in that time (which has been much appreciated and highly re-assuring). BUT .. an irrational feeling is simply that, and I haven't been able to shake it.

To address that irrational feeling and put it into words:
    I do hope that the time that I've invested in working with BM3 has not been wasted -- I plan to use it for many years and while I don't need to be spoon fed new features, I do want to be confident that any future software issues will be addressed in a reliable manner (MIDI AU has been broken for a while now; I don't use it in BM3 but it is a signal) and BM3 also still has a little bit of progress to make before it achieves the 'vision' that early adopters (and late adopters!) invested in, both in terms of stability and features. I'd like to see it reach that point.

That's all I'm going to say on the issue other than that Intua has my full support and trust. I'll wait patiently and confidently -- lack of evidence is not evidence so I have no reason based on past actions to believe that both of these things won't come to pass.

• I posted a couple of paragraphs just now and after I edited it, it was deleted with "Your comment will appear after it is approved." appearing in the lower left corner of the screen.

• edited September 2018

Aaaah bummer, we have an ongoing issue with that with the latest forum update, will go and OK it now, sorry about that.

EDIt*
    I have verified you too @OscarSouth
    Shouldn't happen again ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    Aaaah bummer, we have an ongoing issue with that with the latest forum update, will go and OK it now, sorry about that.

EDIt*
    I have verified you too @OscarSouth
    Shouldn't happen again ;)

No worries, this has happened on the Audiobus forum in the past too. Cheers!

• Well said @OscarSouth and I'm glad you're having as much fun and productivity with the current version (3.0.10) as I clearly am :)

• I think it is fair to be concerned about the long silence. We’re all just being very supportive and keeping our fingers crossed which is cool. 🤞

• Purely speaking out of my ass here... I imagine that a somewhat sizeable gui/workflow refactoring was undertaken and it opened a big old can of worms 🐛 that 🐛 are now being stuffed 🐛 back into the can.

• @Audiogus said:
    Purely speaking out of my ass here... I imagine that a somewhat sizeable gui/workflow refactoring was undertaken and it opened a big old can of worms 🐛 that 🐛 are now being stuffed 🐛 back into the can.

Hope there is not that much changing. Maybe move a couple things here or there, get rid of those arrows in the midi window and couple a short cuts here and there and boom we got a masterpiece lol

• edited September 2018

My secret fear (if I speak it aloud) is that all these delays are just complications and fallout associated with trying to make the app universal and work on iPhones.

If so, I have always personally felt that this is/was an unneccessary complication and drain on already-limited development time. IMHO

• edited September 2018

@tk32 said:
    My secret fear (if I speak it aloud) is that all these delays are just complications and fallout associated with trying to make the app universal and work on iPhones.

If so, I have always personally felt that this is/was an unneccessary complication and drain on already-limited development time. IMHO

I think that this is just something that we have to accept as a necessity (if not this time then later) and deal with. It was promised and while it’s not something I need personally, fulfilling prior promises of functionality is a positive thing long term.

• edited September 2018

My biggest fear is that because it has been a while, users will imagine all sorts of huge changes to the software have been undertaken, build the release up to the maximum in their own imagination, then when the release happens and it is just another lineal release that was delayed for very mundane external unavoidable reasons, the disappointment kicks in and the blame game begins.
    (Total guesswork, but i have been around software development and real life a lot)

Lets take a breath, realise we have zero knowledge of who/why/what/when, and stop doing guesswork that is probably just annoying ourselves.

• @5pinlink said:
    My biggest fear is that because it has been a while, users will imagine all sorts of huge changes to the software have been undertaken, build the release up to the maximum in their own imagination, then when the release happens and it is just another lineal release that was delayed for very mundane external unavoidable reasons, the disappointment kicks in and the blame game begins.
    (Total guesswork, but i have been around software development and real life a lot)

Lets take a breath, realise we have zero knowledge of who/why/what/when, and stop doing guesswork that is probably just annoying ourselves.

I think as long as people don't get too caught up in the drama (ala football hooligans) to me it is just on the level of a soap opera for mobile music nerds. ;) A nice lineal release with a couple bug fixes sounds great to me. Also, have you ever seen Elon Musk and Mathieu Garcia in the same room?