Sampling youtube directly into bm3

I know there have been many discussions about this and I’ve searched but can’t seem to find them. I seem to remember someone mentioning being able to sample directly from YouTube into b3, and wondered how this was achieved ? Or if not the quickest easiest method.

Comments

• @MSandoval said:
    Maybe Guy Shaviv Beat Time! $5 plays YouTube videos in IAA?

You literally are becoming my new real life super hero. Do you shoot spider webs too?
    Thanking you :smile:

• Wow that's really cool!!!

• Is this available in the UK - I can only find it on the US App Store it seems. :neutral:

• You can always do a screen record and open it in audio share and transfer it to bm3 after converting it to wav....too many steps for me so I usually sample the audio out port with guitar rig, a headphone splitter and a loop cable..is this app easier? How does it load the YouTube vid in the iaa?

• @selfinflict3 said:
    You can always do a screen record and open it in audio share and transfer it to bm3 after converting it to wav....too many steps for me so I usually sample the audio out port with guitar rig, a headphone splitter and a loop cable..is this app easier? How does it load the YouTube vid in the iaa?

Holy freaking mother of moley, I never thought of that. I’m not sure what the sound quality is like of a screen record, but that’s not a bad idea. It’s a few more steps what with the video to audio convert, but in the whole scheme of things probably not that many more than opening up an IAA. Unless you’re audio recording lots of videos. Dam mr self inflicted you have some sneaky deaky skills.

• Beware audio captured via screen record.

It used to be (and probably still is) just the left audio channel, which is duplicated to the right, resulting in fake mono.

I reckon the IAA method is the cleanest, though YouTube audio can often be shitty to begin with :/

• @tk32 said:
    Beware audio captured via screen record.

It used to be (and probably still is) just the left audio channel, which is duplicated to the right, resulting in fake mono.

I reckon the IAA method is the cleanest, though YouTube audio can often be shitty to begin with :/

Ah i see I thought it was too good to be true. I wonder if iOS 12 changes anything though. I did a test and I couldn’t tell whether it was true stereo, as sound was coming out of both iPhone speakers, or if it was mono duplicated as you said. Kinda sounded ok though. I’m only looking for acapellas so It might be fine with some jiggery pockery. The thing I like is that it’s just so easy. Swipe down notification centre and hit screen record.

• Yeah, in most cases left channel contains everything you need for sampling purposes.

• Another option is to use one of those online YouTube to whatever converters... Beware the sketchiness of those sites but I've done it that way before too. Beat Time! Is definitely the only way I'll roll now since I've got it.

• @ronji said:
    Another option is to use one of those online YouTube to whatever converters... Beware the sketchiness of those sites but I've done it that way before too. Beat Time! Is definitely the only way I'll roll now since I've got it.

Yeah I’d rather keep it all iPad contained. Than go to my desktop which I rarely use now it’s crazy. Bm3 + egoist + model 15 = no more desktop.
    I’ll probably get beat time too

• I keep it iPad contained by visiting the sketchy site inside Documents by Readdle which will let you easily download the files that get served up from those sites. =) But yeah without Beat Time! Or the external interface trick, screen recording can be acceptable, depending on your needs.

• @ronji said:
    I keep it iPad contained by visiting the sketchy site inside Documents by Readdle which will let you easily download the files that get served up from those sites. =) But yeah without Beat Time! Or the external interface trick, screen recording can be acceptable, depending on your needs.

Ah yes of course I forgot about readdle. Thanks

• @tk32 said:

How well does this app work, how does it show up in iaa, just wondering, haven’t seen any pics or vids..

• @selfinflict3 said:

@tk32 said:

How well does this app work, how does it show up in iaa, just wondering, haven’t seen any pics or vids..

Beat Time! shows up at the bottom of my IAA list, under the dev's name. I start it before loading it into B3, start the pad sampling feature in the B3 keyboard view (set it to sample to pad 2 first), tap the Beat Time! icon to switch to it, tap the menu at top left, tap YouTube, tap a video in YouTube, instead of tapping the play button in YouTube, tap the Beat Time! icon next to the address bar, it prepares the video and loads it in the app, press play, and you've sampled into B3. It works pretty dang well.

• @ronji said:

@selfinflict3 said:

@tk32 said:

Beat Time! shows up at the bottom of my IAA list, under the dev's name. I start it before loading it into B3, start the pad sampling feature in the B3 keyboard view (set it to sample to pad 2 first), tap the Beat Time! icon to switch to it, tap the menu at top left, tap YouTube, tap a video in YouTube, instead of tapping the play button in YouTube, tap the Beat Time! icon next to the address bar, it prepares the video and loads it in the app, press play, and you've sampled into B3. It works pretty dang well.

Thank you.. this sounds like a lot less clutter then my loop cable..

• Sick...just got the app, it’s a little finicky but it works nice!!! Thanks y’all

• @ronji said:

@selfinflict3 said:

@tk32 said:

Nice I'm going to probably get this app too!!

• I sure hope the walls don't have ears. B*^t Time has been a well protected secret for a while.

• edited September 2018

The old adage still stands...

If you can play it - you can rip it

Like it or not, piracy always finds a way.

• I’m having hella issues with beat time, kinda wish I had not spent the 5.00... most videos I want to sample will not load up in the app when I press the beat time button, it just keeps saying preparing and hangs up, what’s the point? I don’t get what causes some videos to load up and others not, very disappointed... beware of this app y’all, it will let you down at some point..

• @selfinflict3 I haven't run into that yet, but I also haven't used it heavily. Care to mention any of the videos that didn't work, so I can test?

• edited September 2018

Find an old Android phone on Ebay, should be able to pick up some old brick for £5.
    Turn hotspot on whatever you are using, use the android to rip the audio from YouTube (no recording) pass it to Dropbox.

• What's the easiest technique you've found for ripping audio on android?

• The app i used to use was HD video down loader i think.

• So it’s just about everything I search for will not load up, screw beat time, it sucks, don’t waste the $$. Here try this one for example

• edited September 2018

On a more positive note - nice slab of Northern Soul. Thanks @selfinflict3

(Sorry I can't help with Beat Time! - I don't have it)

Can I politely suggest Soulseek may be a better place than YouTube to source music for sampling

• I dont think Soulseek works on IOS.

• I forgot that was part of the requirements. Doh

Still a good recommendation though.

• Btw, who poured treacle over these forums?

Today it's slower than surfing the www in 1993 on my 28k modem