Triplets!

edited August 2008 in General
This app is amazing, but the one thing that really bothers me is the lack of triplets. I make a lot of rock beats and then record real guitar and mix it all together on the computer, and I use triplet bass drum beats all the time. I need triplet support.

Comments

• edited 1:08PM
    It might be a bit tedious, but it can be done using the groove editor. Not exactly sure off hand what the settings would be, but I tell you it can be done.
  • I'd love to see triplet delay values too. 1/16t, 1/8t, etc.
    How do I use the groove editor to do this?
    I can get a triplet one time using groove and playing with tempo, but nothing useful to be able to get it at the right moment. The best Ive been able to do is adjust tempo. With the groove editor I just make the double bass the entire time, and mess with groove to get the triplet, rather than playing just 3 kicks I play 4. Again it not very useful for precision though, definitely would like this kind of feature, increase the resolution to allow faster kicks.
    Sorry if someone has already answered this but I haven't seen the answer. One approach is shown below. Sorry for the text.

| x x x x | x x x x | x x x x | x x x x | <--- BEAT POSITIONS: beats in a measure (16th notes)
    | x x = x | x x = x | x x = x | x x = x | <--- ACTUAL BEATS "x" means the hit is active on that beat; "=" means no hit on that beat

You now have 12 notes in the measure. Then we need to set the groove to put these in triplet timing: The vertical axis is split into 10 sections (though the groove doesn't snap to these intervals). You want your groove pattern to look roughly like this:

| = = = = | = = = = | = = = = | = = = = |
    | = x = = | = x = = | = x = = | = x = = |
    | = x = = | = x = = | = x = = | = x = = | <--- 2nd 16th note is late
    | = x = = | = x = = | = x = = | = x = = |
    | = = = x | = = = x | = = = x | = = = x |
    | = = = x | = = = x | = = = x | = = = x | <--- 4th 16th note is early
    | = = = x | = = = x | = = = x | = = = x |

You can play around with the exact groove settings until you get the feel you want.