The Stem Exchange (aka ‘Fork me baby!’)

edited September 2018 in BeatMakers Showcase

This thread is the result of a conversation that happened between @mefisme, @huphtur, @ronji and me over on the Discord chatroom about opportunities for collaborations on iOS.

After several deadend ideas about the possibility of live collabs, we stumbled into the concept of bounce and share.

The idea is simple. This thread will host several starting stems which anyone is welcome to download, layer and/or expand, then bounce and re-share here.

Other users can either start their own track from the starting stem, or pick up one of the already-expanded versions and continue working on that... whatever inspires them to be creative.

—-

To help get things started I would like to offer the following stems:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6sf8eardo3huy4m/AACK7g57pMrK8VGVCVE5ro6Ga?dl=0

Inside you will find:
Stem 01-1 - a slow beat loop (16 bars + tail) 90bpm
Stem 01-2 - a music box melody loop (16 bars + tail) 90bpm
Stem 01-3 - a synth strings loop (16 bars + tail) 90bpm
Stem 01-4 - the strings and music box stems combined (16 bars + tail) 90bpm

Feel free to download, expand, mangle, bounce and share... or submit your own starting stem below.

Comments

• It’s a big deal.

• Think of it just like forking a project on GitHub.

Browse this thread for something that inspires you, add something to it (a little or a lot) and then export to wav and re-post it here.

• edited September 2018

Just updated my first stem offering (see original post for new version)

I've expanded my stem selection, and fixed the EQ on the drum loop

• Are the bounce stems to be dry or can/should we add FX to them?

• I think it depends on how you feel, if you wanna provide both, or if someone asks for a dry version or whatever, it's all good

• @tk32 I've began to mangle. @TONBOGIRI Thanks for participating!

• We need more stems!

• I'm happy to make some new ones in completely different styles.

Hopefully one of them will spark some inspiration.

• @tk32 said:
    I'm happy to make some new ones in completely different styles.

Hopefully one of them will spark some inspiration.

Stems perfect for me jamming APC40. Great inspiration so far from you @tk32 and @TONBOGIRI. Seeing how much I can do with the ones we have so far! Stems exchange a great idea.

• @TONBOGIRI said:
    I'm getting back into Kore & Reaktor, so I'll upload more 90bpm stems & loops. They'll be weird as usual though.
    I'll do Alchemy & Cameleon5000 too since they're filled with lots of great soundscapes, pads, & sequences.
    Maybe some stuff from Korg Legacy Collection, Tassman, Analog Lab 3, etc.
    I've got lots of Eurorack stuff, but unfortunately didn't take notes (pitch or tempo, etc.).

I've never heard any of this stuff so I'm sure it's a real treat! :smile:

• @TONBOGIRI I still have not purchased NI Reaktor. Way behind the times. I see there is a new iOS app called Reaktor. Is it any good? I'll try to get some stems out. Think I was trying to match what's been posted by you and @tk32 but having tough time finding something fitting. And I'm just a regular user of BM3 who uses APC40s to control it. It was a neat idea at the time.

• I was obsessed with the monome for a while, and in particular obsessed with mlrv. I spent a lot of time trying to use my iPad as a monome. I've got SunVox and Audulus 3, and I wish I had more time to learn them. There's a monome controller in Audulus, but it doesn't make sense without multitouch, and I heard multitouch won't likely come till Audulus 4, likely a different app and not a free upgrade. Which is fine, if it's true. That app is insane.

• Im looking forward to pad to pad audio and MIDI in B3, then a bank is a modular and AUv3s are modules :)

• @5pinlink said:
    Im looking forward to pad to pad audio and MIDI in B3, then a bank is a modular and AUv3s are modules :)

Me too.

• @TONBOGIRI said:
    You just remind me of the algorithmic composition gurus. That's a compliment. :smiley:

Appreciate the compliment.

I'm just now learning ERNs. I love thinking-outside-of-the-box approaches. Thanks for this.

I’m working on ERNs actually today. Looking for ways to improve it, add the training, more scales, and a chord progressions bank. Any thoughts? Definitely some macros!

Reaktor: I doubt it'll ever come to iOS. There's VCVRack now (desktop), & it's free, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed for an iOS port. Plus Reaktor allows for low-level editing. You really need a large monitor for this.

iOS already has Audulus, zMors Modular, SunVox, etc...

There’s so much that has me wanting to trigger finger on purchases.