Chords and scales

2»

Comments

• @znomusic said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@znomusic said:
    When you use chord on BM3, for exemple harmonic major 7th, if I hit pads, I only thanspose the key of this specific chord.
    Music is not made like this, you use different chords, in what we call a progression : for exemple : I : F major, II G minor, III A minor 7th , IV B# 6th. So I can make a chord progression I, IV, III, ll or II IV IV I
    That is musical.

In BM3 you have the possibility to choose chords and scales but one by one and write it like mathematics on you song mode you can’t play progressions on the fly. This fondamental tool is present on garage band and cubasis since the beginning.

What is present on BM3 is unsusable in therms of musicality and #workflow, each time I use this app a feel so much frustration because all the possibilities are there an not exploited on the good way. Sometimes I ask myself if Intua uses his own app... They are good programators but poor musiciens. Sorry for that but a DAW without arpegiator, let me smile.

No ”DAW” on iOS has an arpeggiator!
    Not Cubasis, no arp in Auria Pro etc etc...
    Some day BM3 will have everything important; just have a little patience...

Garage band has an arp

Gadget has an arp

• I wanna look more into these chord apps..wish bm3 went deeper in this department, but I gotta say I love bm3 sooooooo much

• @mre8 said:
    I'm just getting around to teaching myself chords and some basic music theory... If I knew more, I might be about to use BM3's built in chord/scale stuff better..

BUT... between these two tools, I am able to work out chords/progressions, in-key melodies/bassline... it's pretty awesome..went through a lot of tries to find an app that did everything I needed (filtering out keys, hardware input, clear progression suggestions...).. Tried chord poly, navichord, chordion... all had either to steep a learning curve for me or lacked important features.

These two apps just about perfect combination of all the features I needed... and sound like they do what OP is looking for...

ScaleBud and ChordBud (same company)

might work for you, OP?

Only issue. Sending midi directly from ChordBud causes BM23 to freak out emitting a drastic horrible sound that midi panic won't stop... only shutting down BM3 stops it. I was very discouraged but came up with this work around: use midiflow as an intermediary... easy setup... just send ChordBud to midiflow and midiflow out to BM3 instrument. Working great so far.

ChordBud also has a 16 track timeline for building progressions/melodies, and each track can be assigned to an individual midi ch... Just got it yesterday, so I need more exploration time, but has been working great for me!

Would y’all say chordbud or navichord is better??

• @selfinflict3
    I picked up ChordPolyPad because you can overlay it's chord pads when inside Beatmaker

• Thanks, now I’m all up in the air.. hahahah

• @tk32 said:
    @selfinflict3
    I picked up ChordPolyPad because you can overlay it's chord pads when inside Beatmaker

What does that mean ?
    Is it like a semi transparent overlay over the top of B3s UI ?

• I'm guessing he means that ChordPolyPad fully supports splitscreen and slide over modes, so you can have the pads showing in slide over mode while still seeing and controlling BM3.

• Stoked about this slide over app. Thanks for the info everyone! I've been thinking more apps need slide over.

• @5pinlink
    Yeah, it works exactly how @ronji said.

You can use iOS' slide-over feature to hover a mini version of chord poly pad whilst you are in Beatmaker3.

Once you've done it, you can hit record and jam on your pre-configured chord buttons.

• edited October 2018

I was completely confused with keys, scales, and chords in beatmaker...having to hit the semitone button and move the center letter on the lower right. Then the pads only giving me the proper tones, whilst the keyboard showing me all the keys without shading or graying the keys or giving me a scale keyboard? It’s little things like this that hinder new users. People who have been deep into the rabbit hole are assuming that the way things work are clear and concise always...but that is not a definite truth.

Beatmaker 3 has a lot of power and features in comparison with a lot of other apps, software, and hardware...so getting to grips can be a slip and fall at the local handimart at times ;)

• You make a valid point @MicGee$

My suggestion is to always post questions here about anything that confuses or frustrates, and those of us who are able will try to impart wisdom from down in the rabbit hole.

It will also provide some clarity on what topics I need to cover comprehensively in upcoming BM3 guide/wiki/book that I'm in the middle of writing.

• @MicGee$ said:
    I was completely confused with keys, scales, and chords in beatmaker...having to hit the semitone button and move the center letter on the lower right. Then the pads only giving me the proper tones, whilst the keyboard showing me all the keys without shading or graying the keys or giving me a scale keyboard? It’s little things like this that hinder new users. People who have been deep into the rabbit hole are assuming that the way things work are clear and concise always...but that is not a definite truth.

Beatmaker 3 has a lot of power and features in comparison with a lot of other apps, software, and hardware...so getting to grips can be a slip and fall at the local handimart at times ;)

Yes it isn't a great system right now for scales and chords in B3, there definitely needs to be a bit more consistency with the various views.

• I’ve been having hella issues getting navichord to work in bm3.. I have gotten it working a few times but when I go to a different bank and lay down some drum shit then head back over to the navichord bank shit stops working. I think the best bet is just learn the chords. Lol

• Thanks all!