How do you promote your music?

Just curious because back in the day ... I'm talking like 5/6 years ago I could put a tune up on Soundcloud and it easily get 300 odd plays and more. Now these days I'm doing good if I get 100 plays lol. Thoughts?

Comments

• edited October 2018

SoundCloud has been monetised and therefore hijacked over the last year.

I can't really give advice about promoting your music, because I've never made anything worth promoting, lol.

If it's good, send it to record labels.

It probably helps to get your stuff on Spotify too, and it's easier to do that than ever nowadays.

• @TONBOGIRI said:
    Best way is to know someone who's connected.

Be careful of those fly-by-night promotional companies that spam SoundCloud, etc. Do your research first since it's easy to get scammed.

Research how to register your work, since people steal beats all the time.

I would start with DistroKid these days for songs & albums.

But if you just want to sell your beats (not songs) then try TuneCore, SoundClick, SongTree, BandLab, etc. Post your work everywhere.

You may get lucky and get a big name to buy one of your beats. :)

I know some amazing producers that have been making beats for decades who still haven't hooked one in yet.

If you love it, keep doing it, keep perfecting your craft. And don't forget about your old stuff, doesn't hurt to pull one of those out and clean it up and post it everywhere.

Get in touch with small indie film & game makerss since they need music, foley, sound FX, etc. May have to do stuff for free for a while.

Do district kid register / protect your music as well or do you still need to sign up for the music protections societies (I know there are different societies in the U.K. vs US?)

• @TONBOGIRI said:
    @groovey You can use Song Trust for that.
    https://www.songtrust.com/

Thanks does this mean you don’t need to join the musicians union and Performing rights society ?

• In my experience it helps to know people in the flesh. Virtual promotion is good to an extent but face to face interaction is very important too I'd say.

• @The_Bro said:
    In my experience it helps to know people in the flesh. Virtual promotion is good to an extent but face to face interaction is very important too I'd say.

Are you london based ? What places do you ‘network’ at. Man I hate networking even though people would never know, but inside it feels so false and fakery it just doesn’t resonate with me.

• @groovey said:

@The_Bro said:
    In my experience it helps to know people in the flesh. Virtual promotion is good to an extent but face to face interaction is very important too I'd say.

Are you london based ? What places do you ‘network’ at. Man I hate networking even though people would never know, but inside it feels so false and fakery it just doesn’t resonate with me.

Yeah I'm London based which helps a lot.

• That said its been difficult to push things much recently as a family which takes up a lot of my attention!! :smile:

• @The_Bro said:
    That said its been difficult to push things much recently as a family which takes up a lot of my attention!! :smile:

I can imagine. So where do you mean by networking. Are you talking night clubs, getting to know djs, hooking up at radio 1 etc ?

• @groovey said:

@The_Bro said:
    That said its been difficult to push things much recently as a family which takes up a lot of my attention!! :smile:

I can imagine. So where do you mean by networking. Are you talking night clubs, getting to know djs, hooking up at radio 1 etc ?

Running your own night, playing on radio etc. Actually a fairly popular Internet station wants me to dj on their station so something I need to think about eh!! To be honest there's tonnes you can do. Music is vastly open. Helps if you are in the capital though.

• @The_Bro said:

@groovey said:

@The_Bro said:

Running your own night, playing on radio etc. Actually a fairly popular Internet station wants me to dj on their station so something I need to think about eh!! To be honest there's tonnes you can do. Music is vastly open. Helps if you are in the capital though.

Yeah go for it defo. Yeah obvs London is where it’s at for a lot of reasons. I actually know quite a few ‘people’ through what I do, but I just seem to draw a blank when it comes to promoting my own stuff. I’m certain it’s ‘the fear’. Which is ridiculous as I’m a grown ass man. But I think when you’re super young like 16-20 you have zero fear or much less than past that age.

• I don't mind promoting but I'm just selective who I send my stuff to. I have a fair amount of friends on Facewaste its just very few I think are into what I do lol.

• @The_Bro said:
    I don't mind promoting but I'm just selective who I send my stuff to. I have a fair amount of friends on Facewaste its just very few I think are into what I do lol.

‘Facewaste’ ha. Well you have very eclectic tastes it seems as you publish a wide variety of genres. Some of your tracks would be cool with vocalists. You should link up with some peops u know.

• Yeah I'm going to definitely link up with more vocalists that's a definite.