Warping???

Hi guys new to the forum, have bm2 wanting to get bm3 HOWEVER I need to know if this DAW has sample warping and if not does it have something close? In the App Store description it talks of state of the art sampling but it mentions nothing of WARPING which I have to say is the future of sampling. Besides cubasis and Auria Pro is there any wave editor type app that supports? Thanxx

Comments

• edited October 2018

What exactly are you asking for ?
    Warp markers or time stretch, because Cubasis doesn't have warp markers unless i missed that update (very possible)
    B3 has Time Stretch yes, Warp markers, no.

Also warp markers tend to have much less to do with sampling as they do with syncing audio tracks, warp markers are much less useful in a sampler where splitting etc preserves transients much better.
    So warping is not really the future of sampling, it is the future of syncing and retiming audio tracks however, and is a common request.

• Well, warping. Regardless of whichever scenario it’s used for it’s still a new and useful part of sampling and yes it is a common request for reason

@5pinlink said:
    What exactly are you asking for ?
    Warp markers or time stretch, because Cubasis doesn't have warp markers unless i missed that update (very possible)
    B3 has Time Stretch yes, Warp markers, no.

Also warp markers tend to have much less to do with sampling as they do with syncing audio tracks, warp markers are much less useful in a sampler where splitting etc preserves transients much better.
    So warping is not really the future of sampling, it is the future of syncing and retiming audio tracks however, and is a common request.

• I disagree for the reasons i stated, it is requested a lot for audio tracks, not sampling, and it isnt really new to be honest.

• edited October 2018

I think we need to be clear about the two terms, as there may have been some confusion or crossed wires.

Warping (aka 'Warp Markers')

...is used to fix timing issues in longer audio clips and loops

Usually refers to the special type of "warp markers" that are available in some desktop DAWs (eg Ableton Live) which enable you to vary the timing of sections within longer clips or loop-based audio. Examples of this would be correcting audio recordings (eg a live drummer) with slightly off timing. The way it works is by performing lots of individual time stretches between each warp marker depending on how the users adjusts their spacing.
    Warp markers are not currently available on any iOS DAW.

Time stretch

...is used to stretch time without adjusting pitch (or vice-versa)

This is the much more common variety of adjusting length whilst keeping the pitch unchanged (or vice-versa). as far as I know, this technique applies one stretch transformation for the whole waveform, regardless of how many slices you create.
    Time stretch is available in most iOS DAWs, including Cubasis and BeatMaker 3.

• Here's a great video on Ableton stretch modes that I really recommend watching:

• No confusion. I was enquiring about warp markers because A lot of times i sample tracks where there is drifting sometimes even early on in the song and was looking for a way to manipulate it so sample will end precisely where I want so that when I get to chopping everything is proper for me I know Able has it so was checking to see if I could have this feature on my iPad. Don’t know where I said anything about time stretching or why 5pin mentioned it

Cube has it.> @tk32 said:

I think we need to be clear about the two terms, as there may have been some confusion or crossed wires.

Usually refers to the special type of "warp markers" that are available in some desktop DAWs (eg Ableton Live) which enable you to vary the timing of sections within longer clips or loop-based audio. Examples of this would be correcting audio recordings (eg a live drummer) with slightly off timing. The way it works is by performing lots of individual time stretches between each warp marker depending on how the users adjusts their spacing.

Time stretch

...is used to stretch time without adjusting pitch (or vice-versa)

This is the much more common variety of adjusting length whilst keeping the pitch unchanged (or vice-versa). as far as I know, this technique applies one stretch transformation for the whole waveform, regardless of how many slices you create.
    Time stretch is available in most iOS DAWs, including Cubasis and BeatMaker 3.

• edited October 2018

@tk32 said:

Auria Pro has it. 7:20

I just can't get with 'long press' functions at all, ever, never ever... On paper Auria Pro addresses a lot but oh lordy the touch and navigation is so cumbersome.

• I've got to agree Warping or Warp Markers or whatever they're called would be very welcome addition/option in BM3. Its nigh on impossible or hard lets say to make jungle without it. Its very handy. Just my 2 cents.

• edited October 2018

@The_Bro said:
    I've got to agree Warping or Warp Markers or whatever they're called would be very welcome addition/option in BM3. Its nigh on impossible or hard lets say to make jungle without it. Its very handy. Just my 2 cents.

I thought Jungle pre-dated the popularity of warp marker tech. Isn't it all primarily chopping/slicing/pitching/timestretch/linear transpose etc?

• @Audiogus said:

@The_Bro said:
    I've got to agree Warping or Warp Markers or whatever they're called would be very welcome addition/option in BM3. Its nigh on impossible or hard lets say to make jungle without it. Its very handy. Just my 2 cents.

I thought Jungle pre-dated the popularity of warp marker tech. Isn't it all primarily chopping/slicing/pitching/timestretch/linear transpose etc?

Yeah that's true. Its just warping makes it easier lol.

• I use warping on loops all the time in ableton. If I overlay 4 different types of drum loops, I use warp markers to time correct those in session view so there’s less slop. Then I can either render those out or...not. I’d render them if I was going to export those back to use in drum racks to trigger in, say, 64 pad mode. Or export to use in iOS.

To say it’s just for whole tracks, that’s not accurate.

• @drez said:
    I use warping on loops all the time in ableton. If I overlay 4 different types of drum loops, I use warp markers to time correct those in session view so there’s less slop. Then I can either render those out or...not. I’d render them if I was going to export those back to use in drum racks to trigger in, say, 64 pad mode. Or export to use in iOS.

To say it’s just for whole tracks, that’s not accurate.

100% agree with this!!! Come on Intua get busy on the Warp 9 business lol.

• ...and Autotune makes it easier to sing in tune - but they made plenty good (better) songs before that.

These modern-day producers, I don't know! Tut!
    They want everything made easy ;)

• Warp markers for jungle, you dont mean beats surely, you never ever use warp markers on beats if you want them to retain their transients over big BPM changes, that would definitely be Jungle.

Warp markers are useful for virtually all sorts of material, especially if you have a more advanced system like in Reaper, the basic system in Ableton is very very good, but when you have an advanced system you get to use it for synthesising sounds way more, especially when you have a wide range of stretch algos

But as i stated at the start, warp markers have limitations and when you hit those limitations you have to turn to feature sthat already exist right now in B3, other than timeline crossfades and slip editing, both of which you would need for micro editing.

• @tk32 said:
    ...and Autotune makes it easier to sing in tune - but they made plenty good (better) songs before that.

These modern-day producers, I don't know! Tut!
    They want everything made easy ;)

Lol