BM3 iPhone as a field recorder

I was thinking one could create a bank for field recording purposes, where pads, fx and macros have been set up with the idea of quickly testing whether a recorded sample is useful. Some good starting point filters for handling stuff like wind noise, background noise etc. Pads set up with different tune etc.

Having recorded a sample, you would have to drag it to all the pads manually (or is there a "copy to all pads" function?). But I just tried this, and it seems like all the pad settings revert to default when a new sample is dragged onto the pad. Is there a way to avoid this?

What do you guys think, would it make sense to somehow create a "field recording bank" template? How to do it, and what should it include.

Comments

• edited October 2018

When in the browser, look at the replace setting, that can be changed, you can add new samples without losing settings but its a ball ache, change replace to load to new layer, go to layers and move the sample up to the original layer and remove the original sample, now your settings are the same, told you, ball ache lol.

• Yeah, that would be too many steps for a quick listen of a sample's usefulness. Maybe @mathieugarcia comes up with improvements in this area over time. Could be useful for generating sample fodder to his ambient drone playlist :smile: Sounds like the iPhone port could make BM3 into a powerful field recorder/sampler.

• Tbh field recording possibilities like this are what get me interested in the iPhone version. All the other stuff I’ll likely keep doing on and iPad.

• As @5pinlink says, there's a way to load new samples without reseting pad settings. Plenty of other improvements in mind to make loading/recording/browsing faster though ! Time will tell :-)

Being an ambient music fan, I'd love to try this out myself, especially because there are some super nice stereo microphones for Apple products now.

Cheers !

• Sounds great. Yeah, I'm also an ambient fan, with a guilty feeling of not doing my own field recordings, but BM3 on the phone with a smooth work flow could change that:)
    +1 if it would be easy to wirelessly transfer samples from iphone to ipad.

Today, the recording window has this "Record to pad (N)". Perhaps if that could be expanded with one option that says "Record to all pads, keep current pad settings". Just an idea for a quick solution, but maybe there are more elegant ways.

Btw, which are these super nice stereo microphones?

Cheers!

• @bleep said:
    Sounds great. Yeah, I'm also an ambient fan, with a guilty feeling of not doing my own field recordings, but BM3 on the phone with a smooth work flow could change that:)
    +1 if it would be easy to wirelessly transfer samples from iphone to ipad.

Today, the recording window has this "Record to pad (N)". Perhaps if that could be expanded with one option that says "Record to all pads, keep current pad settings". Just an idea for a quick solution, but maybe there are more elegant ways.

Btw, which are these super nice stereo microphones?

Cheers!

Check these out: https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-iQ6-iOS-Lightning-Microphone/dp/B00MZCEY9O/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1540939126&sr=1-4&keywords=ios+microphone+lightning