I think I'm done using BM3 as my main squeeze - a break up song

I've been a BM3 (2 and 1) devotee for many years, but this latest update and no strong indication from the developers about where EXACTLY they see this app going, I don't know how much time and energy it warrants.

When I drifted aways from more active music making years ago, it was very handy to have Beat Maker in my pocket for quick beat making and sometimes almost fully finished productions.

Historically I am a cubase user and I had abandoned the desktop DAW world because I felt somehow iOS production world was better and the capital F Future. I bought many many many plugins!

I kept waiting for a way to use iOS like I had always used Cubase (or even my MPC back in the day)... as a central brain and sequencer to lord over all the other apps. We kept getting closer and closer! Still, in spite of Ableton Link, it seems there will be no robust solution to sync iOS DAWS and external gear... anytime soon.

So, I think instead of trying to build my environment around my iPad and iOS apps, I'll likely reinvest my time in the desktop world and fit iOS into that. Apps like BM3 will continues to be great for starting projects (probably not finishing), doing tricks with audio using some of the inexpensive plug ins only available on iOS, etc... but the final destination will be my desktop. The IDEA of being mobile is cool, but for me at least, most of my creation happens at my house surrounded by my stuff.

As long as the bugs are fixed in the track export in BM3, I'll be good with this change of heart!

I have been trying to use socks as mittens! Kind of works, but not really ideal (for me at least)....

Still a lover, but also a critic....

Comments

• edited November 2018

I thought you were actually going to post a song. Disappointing.

• @OscarSouth said:
    I thought you were actually going to post a song. Disappointing.

hahahaha! Maybe I will make one then...

• edited November 2018

If I didn't have a hefty per week commute and was all warm and cozy at home most of the time I would primarily be a hardware / laptop / couch rig guy. As it is I get about ten commuting hours in a week of BM3 time and have arranged my setup/process so that when I get home on the weekend I can easily export all my tracks, plug in the ipad and record overdubs etc and then the PC daw takes over as the central hub. Sometimes I bounce out back to ipad to play with bits again during the week etc. The desktop is the aircraft carrier and the ipad is the chopper.

• I was extremely close to giving up on iPad music production in general too. In fact, I did give up... for about half a year. Then the 10.11 and 10.12 updates happened, which brought me back... for now. The transient detection works pretty great :)

But there's still so many rough edges, it's pretty crazy. I guess that's also a good thing, it means mobile music production is held to a very high standard, which proves there's something of value here. Let's hope it'll manage to meet this standard sooner rather than later.

• edited November 2018

Yeah... I won't say I am not still blown away by the fact these types of apps and performance exists in the first place for sure. I've done just enough programming/coding to know what the developers have accomplished thus far is no small feat.

But yeah, I have been twisting myself into knots trying to make the ipad the "aircraft carrier" and scrapping the desktop DAW altogether... that's my fault.

So... not really a break up song... but a re-orientation of the relationship. Girl, I need space and an open relationship... :D

• edited November 2018

Totaly. I’m like ‘Hey Babe, you know I love you, but your Mom is hot too.’

• I see I’m not the only one going through this struggle as well.. I love what BM3 has done for me but I see no true signs of fully being my full time DAW.. awesome program but damn sometimes you gotta part ways

• edited November 2018

deleted

• edited November 2018

@Quazzemodo said:
    I see I’m not the only one going through this struggle as well.. I love what BM3 has done for me but I see no true signs of fully being my full time DAW.. awesome program but damn sometimes you gotta part ways

I am not parting ways... but having my hottest threesome ever right now.

• ahh... I see I'm not alone... I think the iphone version may ended up serving the most use because that's what's usually at my fingertips when I'm not home. I don't really travel with my ipad often and if I do it's a hassle to whip out for quick ideas...

• If BM3 nailed audio track editing the same way it has nailed the sampler for me then yah, whoot, happy time. I just don’t see decent audio track editing coming to ios for a few years yet. Plus I am hooked on Stutter Edit by iZotope heh.

• @Audiogus how would you define "decent audio track editing"? Curious :)

• Start and end point editing.
    Start and end fades.
    Clip volume.
    Drag end to stretch (with or without timestretch)
    Accurate Slice.
    Cut/Copy/Paste/Repeat/Glue.

All direct in the arranger, that will do us ;)

• edited November 2018

@blueveek said:
    @Audiogus how would you define "decent audio track editing"? Curious :)

It is completely subjective of course, but for starters something like this...

...then some other things like being able to edit selected clips together (which Samplitude also does do), having slip within clips (err, yah Samplitude) etc etc etc. Basicly I want a bunch of audio editing features from Samplitude on iOS with nice touch/gesture control. I am pretty sure it could be done one day (maybe now?) and I have worked out UI wireframes on iOS for it just to get it out of my head. Of course implimentation would always bring up performance issues and compromise but a boy can dream.

• edited November 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Start and end point editing.
    Start and end fades.
    Clip volume.
    Accurate Slice.

YES to all that. I asked myself, why are you wishing for these features when you already have them? I have to confess some part of me has been enthralled with the 'cool' 'bleeding edge' factor of making stuff on an ipad when truly I'm doing nothing much different than what I was doing 10 years ago in Cubase and my MPC... lol

Granted, if you can't get some of these tools because they are cost prohibitive on desktop/laptop environment, the cost of apps in iOS is for some, a godsend.

I will still support these iOS devs by buying their apps. I still think it's all damn impressive and hope one day there will be even more parity between the two formats (laptop/ipad)... But, really, my laptop is pretty portable enough as it is... shrug

...just thinking out loud

• edited November 2018

@mre8 said:

@5pinlink said:
    Start and end fades.
    Clip volume.
    Accurate Slice.

YES to all that. I asked myself, why are you wishing for these features when you already have them? I have to confess some part of me has been enthralled with the 'cool' 'bleeding edge' factor of making stuff on an ipad when truly I'm doing nothing much different than what I was doing 10 years ago in Cubase and my MPC... lol

Granted, if you can't get some of these tools because they are cost prohibitive on desktop/laptop environment, the cost of apps in iOS is for some, a godsend.

I will still support these iOS devs by buying their apps. I still think it's all damn impressive and hope one day there will be even more parity between the two formats (laptop/ipad)... But, really, my laptop is pretty portable enough as it is... shrug

I love using BM3 while walking around, weaving in and out of crowds, going to different neighborhoods etc. and using it on the move in different environments has been very inspiring.

• @Audiogus said:

@mre8 said:

@5pinlink said:
    Start and end fades.
    Clip volume.
    Accurate Slice.

I love using BM3 while walking around, weaving in and out of crowds, going to different neighborhoods etc. and using it on the move in different environments has been very inspiring.

Yeah...be careful walking around with your head down making music... LOL...

I was in Amsterdam last year travelling crazy light... I was at a party. Heard a song being played. Sampled it into beatmaker 2 on my phone... looped it... added drums... went into the bathroom and recorded a chorus. 1000% captured the atmosphere and feeling of my first time in Amsterdam...

That is a perfect case use for mobile and why I will be more enthusiastic when the phone version is released!

• @mre8 said:

@Audiogus said:

@mre8 said:

@5pinlink said:
    Start and end fades.
    Clip volume.
    Accurate Slice.

Yeah...be careful walking around with your head down making music... LOL...

I was in Amsterdam last year travelling crazy light... I was at a party. Heard a song being played. Sampled it into beatmaker 2 on my phone... looped it... added drums... went into the bathroom and recorded a chorus. 1000% captured the atmosphere and feeling of my first time in Amsterdam...

That is a perfect case use for mobile and why I will be more enthusiastic when the phone version is released!

The 9.7” is perfect for me for walking. I find the phone too small as I have to focus too closely to my face and then peripheral vision, including the ground get screwed, not to mention eye strain. Even my mini, which I love in general for waiting rooms etc, is a bit too small for walking. With the 9.7 I can hold it down at my waist like a guitar and not lose track of my surroundings, works great.