Constant crashes when saving a sample while it's playing

So I've been sampling stuff today. And doing lots and lots of renaming in the process. And moving from one pad to another quickly!

Beatmaker was crashing constantly, so I made a recording and this blog post:

Comments

• Here's another recording with very quick steps to reproduce:

It's ridiculously annoying, I run into this issue constantly.

• Hmm, since all the slices are pointing to the same file there is no need to save each pad individually, just save the 'bank'?!

If you absolutely must save each sample with its own name do a 'trim' on the selected slice first.
    That will create a new file that can be easily saved.

But then again the app shouldn't crash when doing what you do :)

• edited December 2018

That was obviously just an example of how to get it to crash. I'm not doing it to save the bank :)

A use case for saving samples is just to have them under a different name. Or after destructive edits. Or for file organisation. Or for a different other million reasons.

Point is: rapid fire sample saving crashes BM.

• In both examples it's still the same file that is being tried to be saved multiple times while 'disk streaming' is turned on. (Ie. when slicing to pads BM3 doesn't create new files for each pad, the pads just point to the original file. It's only when hard edits made to a referenced slice that a new file is created which can then be properly saved).

Just trying to figure out if this is related to 'disk streaming' which can still be a bit shaky...
    Other areas can be internal file caching since each file is only loaded once even if it's referenced from multiple pads or banks. (Disk Streaming has always been shaky since the early betas and I do NOT trust it one bit and try to keep all samples in RAM when possible by turning disk streaming OFF).

On the positive side BM3 sends crash logs to the developers so the more you can make the app crash the more crash logs the developers will have to dig thru :)

Hope it gets fixed soon though...

• edited December 2018

@samu said:
    In both examples it's still the same file that is being tried to be saved multiple times while 'disk streaming' is turned on. (Ie. when slicing to pads BM3 doesn't create new files for each pad, the pads just point to the original file. It's only when hard edits made to a referenced slice that a new file is created which can then be properly saved).

FWIW I can get it to crash even when there's a different file on each pad. Audio duration doesn't matter. Disk streaming doesn’t matter.

• edited December 2018

Here’s a crash video with separate samples:

• edited December 2018

Non of those crashes should happen, ever.
    @mathieugarcia will definitely be on this ;)

• Thanks for that 5pin!

• Thanks for the detailed report!

• So I’ve narrowed this down even more.

STR:
    1. New project
    2. Load sample onto a pad
    3. Go to sampler view
    4. Save sample (doesn’t matter if you change the name completely, or let BM add the suffix for you)
    5. Tap on the pad
    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 in rapid succession.

Single pad, single file, disk streaming on:

Single pad, single file, disk streaming off:

• edited December 2018

Glad to have you here @blueveek

Your efforts are helping make this great app better. Kudos.

• edited December 2018

Happy to help.