BM3 with Geoshred Auv3 beta...

Geoshred AU is coming to iOS and I've been testing it. Works in AU mode within Beatmaker 3... sounds great except when you go to record a pattern into BM3 midi track by playing the Geoshred keyboard... No notes are recorded. I can only play notes from Geoshred synth into the pattern sequencer using the standard boring BM3 piano keys where of course all the amazing expressive control of Geoshred fretboard is lost.

Geoshred developer tells me this is definitely a problem with BM3. Sure enough I tested this by loading Geoshred as an AU in Cubasis... Began recording and the notes played on the geoshred fretboard ARE recorded fine! The developer says Geo has been tested ok with AB3 and AUM as well so it's 100% a BM3 issue.

Tagged:

Comments

• It is a BM3 Issue since Midi Out from AUv3's can not be recorded at the moment...

• But BM3 underwent a big update... Wondering how it is all of the other AU hosts manage to do it correctly?

• It's a missing feature, not a bug. The newly released NS2 also doesn't have this feature. It'll come.

• @blueveek said:
    It's a missing feature, not a bug. The newly released NS2 also doesn't have this feature. It'll come.

It's a pretty significant missing feature considering it features in Cubasis, AB3, AUM. NS2 has more of a good excuse.. it's only just hit the app store. BM3 has had a lot of time and people waited a hell of a long time for "the big update". So really I'm not optimistic about it coming even Q4 2019.

• It had this feature before the latest update, it was removed, it may be back at some point, but it was a design decision by @vincent to remove it.

• @5pinlink said:
    It had this feature before the latest update, it was removed, it may be back at some point, but it was a design decision by @vincent to remove it.

It's a design decision that means I will be leaving BM3 and working with Cubasis. I don't really like Cubasis traditional/clunky UI but this is a pretty significant failing for BM3. The internal keyboard is very basic and while ok for some AU synths... is totally not OK for more expressive ones like Geoshred. I like the overall design and feature set of BM3 but it's dumb stuff like this that I'm no longer prepared to sit around and wait for. I've discussed this on a facebook music group.

• edited December 2018

@feathers632 said:
    I've discussed this on a facebook music group.

My next T-Shirt.

PS. I have no idea why I love this line so much. Bare with me.

• @Audiogus said:

@feathers632 said:
    I've discussed this on a facebook music group.

My next T-Shirt.

PS. I have no idea why I love this line so much. Bare with me.

The feeling is that BM3 is a great design but there are real concerns over the developer's ability to fix bugs other AU hosts fixed a long time ago. The new update having taken so long to arrive was quite a let-down because stability is still an issue and having critical features "disabled" suggests a coder/coding team struggling to overcome issues.

• @blueveek said:
    It's a missing feature, not a bug. The newly released NS2 also doesn't have this feature. It'll come.

I've been told that NS2 does allow AU synth's native keyboard. So that means it's just lonely little BM3 lacking the feature.

• edited December 2018

@feathers632 said:

@blueveek said:

I've been told that NS2 does allow AU synth's native keyboard. So that means it's just lonely little BM3 lacking the feature.

BM3 allows synths to use their own keyboards too.

NS2 doesn’t allow recording what comes out of AUs. I have NS2, and it works exactly like BM3 in this regard. Not sure who told you otherwise, but they either misunderstood your question or they’re hyping up a feature that doesn’t actually exist.

Or perhaps we misunderstand what you want.

• @blueveek said:

@feathers632 said:

@blueveek said:

NS2 doesn’t allow recording what comes out of AUs. I have NS2, and it works exactly like BM3 in this regard. Not sure who told you otherwise, but they either misunderstood your question or they’re hyping up a feature that doesn’t actually exist.

BM3 allowing an AU app's native keyboard is useless if it can't record the notes you play with it. It is absolutely useless even having the AU synth's keyboard appear under those conditions. Geoshred developer has been very clear... they tested this function with Aum, Cubasis, Garageband and AB3 and they all record the notes played as midi data.

I'm going to verify with NS2 developer because there seems to be conflicting info.

• @feathers632 said:

@blueveek said:

@feathers632 said:

@blueveek said:

BM3 allowing an AU app's native keyboard is useless if it can't record the notes you play with it. It is absolutely useless even having the AU synth's keyboard appear under those conditions. Geoshred developer has been very clear... they tested this function with Aum, Cubasis, Garageband and AB3 and they all record the notes played as midi data.

Yeah, we know. It'd be nice to have it in BM3. The devs confirmed that it's coming in the next release.

@feathers632 said:
    I'm going to verify with NS2 developer because there seems to be conflicting info.

Please let us know what you find.

• Aha... so looks like not working then. So I will be using the antiquated Cubasis at least if I want to use Geoshred fully.

• @feathers632 said:
    Geoshred AU is coming to iOS and I've been testing it. Works in AU mode within Beatmaker 3... sounds great except when you go to record a pattern into BM3 midi track by playing the Geoshred keyboard... No notes are recorded. I can only play notes from Geoshred synth into the pattern sequencer using the standard boring BM3 piano keys where of course all the amazing expressive control of Geoshred fretboard is lost.

Geoshred developer tells me this is definitely a problem with BM3. Sure enough I tested this by loading Geoshred as an AU in Cubasis... Began recording and the notes played on the geoshred fretboard ARE recorded fine! The developer says Geo has been tested ok with AB3 and AUM as well so it's 100% a BM3 issue.

The update of Audiobus3 today gives you a easy way to route AU to be recorded into BM3 or NS2...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@feathers632 said:

The update of Audiobus3 today gives you a easy way to route AU to be recorded into BM3 or NS2...

Have had AB3 sitting around on my iPad for a long time. Made use of it a few months ago with spacecraft and BM3. Worked well.

• edited December 2018

@ErrkaPetti said:

@feathers632 said:

Just tried it and can't get anything to work with it. Do you mean setting AB3 to Midi mode and routing Geoshred into Beatmaker 3? That doesn't work. Total silence. Just tried with AB3 in Audio mode as well... Silence!

So I'm not sure which mode you were suggesting but both audio and midi mode with BM3 result in notes sounds when I press keys... I mean total silence.

AB3 was working with BM3 before the "big" BM3 update.

• edited December 2018

As much as I like BM3 the features and UI design (it's my favourite IOS DAW)... The annoying stuff like this that means I'm better off with the clunky antiquated Cubasis for now. If BM3 ever gets the basic ability to allow recording from an AU synth's native keyboard then I will begin using it again.