VOTING CLOSED - Christmas Battle 2018: THE WINNER IS HANSJBS

edited December 2018 in BeatMakers Showcase

The voting is now closed, and by a clear margin I can announce that this winner of this year’s Christmas Battle is @hansjbs

WINNER: HANSJBS

Congratulations buddy!!

What happens next?

1. The winner will receive his app code prizes from @5pinlink
  2. Further instructions about receiving the charity pot funds will be circulated to all who kindly offered donations (most likely in the form of a Paypal address)

———
Original post:

Thank you for all these wonderful Christmas-themed battle entries...

Now it’s time to vote for your favourite...

Entry 1 - Dafingaz
https://www.dropbox.com/s/czwjfjl0yw8jcw5/Too Much BPM 135 (snow_miser_song_the_year_without_a_santa_claus_1974 Sample).wav?dl=0

Entry 2 - Slava21
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwamhshl0hkplzs/King of Mercy.wav?dl=0

Entry 3 - Fever404

Entry 4 - Hansjbs

Entry 5 - Blueveek

Entry 6 - Insomniak

Entry 7 - tk32

Entry 8 - Henrytims
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3gs5xc9174aqrr/New Session (84.00 BPM) - MAIN OUT.wav?dl=0

Entry 9 - Fingertwister
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvt3ruf1np9x7pv/RattleTheBells.mp3?dl=0

Entry 10 - iDull

Comments

• I wouldnt use a poll when prizes are involved ;)

• Hmmm. Perhaps I didn't think this through @5pinlink

Are you suggesting everyone posts their vote in this thread, so that's there's full transparency, and no fake votes??

... It's not too late to change.

• edited December 2018

Nice it’s up!!!!!!. Are we allowed to vote ourselves and do a selfish vote 😂. Fake votes...LMAO!!!! Yeah a poll is not good idea for this. Either way I don’t care I already have in mind that if I win I will split the codes with the second and third place. All in the spirit of fun and Christmas

• Ok nevermind, i was mistaken.

• Ok.

I'm not going to change the voting system, but i would really appreciate it if everyone names the entry they voted for here in this thread, and also give a brief comment/feedback why they liked it best.

• Voted for @hansjbs.

Really cool acapella layering. The bass and drums compliment the melody nicely. I think the mix is a bit muddy, but that didn't take away from the track being enjoyable. Not sure if fair, but the video got bonus points :)

PS:
    I already have the apps I need mentioned in the original thread, so defer to the second place's decision if I win.

• Voted for @dafingaz. He posted his composition first. For courage! And the song is great.

• I voted for @insomniak just because he added the island feel and that was the first idea I had since I'm from an island its only fair. Also the track is fun, up beat and joyful which is what this season is about.
    Great job everyone!!!!

• @blueveek said:
    Voted for @hansjbs.

Really cool acapella layering. The bass and drums compliment the melody nicely. I think the mix is a bit muddy, but that didn't take away from the track being enjoyable. Not sure if fair, but the video got bonus points :)

PS:
    I already have the apps I need mentioned in the original thread, so defer to the second place's decision if I win.

Appreciate that and the feedback. Yes my mixing needs help. Please elaborate on the muddyness. What would you do different? I'm really trying to get better at it. Some tracks I do people say its a clean mix and others I don't do so good. I don't really know what I do That's different.

• @hansjbs said:

Appreciate that and the feedback. Yes my mixing needs help. Please elaborate on the muddyness. What would you do different? I'm really trying to get better at it. Some tracks I do people say its a clean mix and others I don't do so good. I don't really know what I do That's different.

I'm far from an expert at this, and I also think it's a bit impossible to tell what could've been better in this regard without looking at the "source". Generally though, my approach is to make sure everything is properly filtered out, such that instruments don't overlap too much in their frequency range. Sidechaining helps too.

• @blueveek said:

@hansjbs said:

I'm far from an expert at this, and I also think it's a bit impossible to tell what could've been better in this regard without looking at the "source". Generally though, my approach is to make sure everything is properly filtered out, such that instruments don't overlap too much in their frequency range. Sidechaining helps too.

I will keep that in mind

• So who won ?

• @Slava21 Thanks for the vote and the encouraging words!

I think I went with @hansjbs. I like the effects and the drums. Dope mix!

• My vote goes to @hansjbs 👊.
    Love the vocal samples! Good job!

• I voted for Insomniak because I really like that swinging groove. <3

Sounds like this might be a remix of an existing track though, and I wonder how much of this is original and how much is sampled from an actual track that I don't know, perhaps? ;)

Congrats to everyone who got an entry in! :) :)

• edited December 2018

Thanks for taking the time to listen and vote @DeanDaughters

Have a great Christmas dude B)

• I voted for @tk32 nice clockwork orange atmosphere 🥛

• Thanks @denx

You're right ... I was definitely trying to channel a bit of Wendy Carlos there (one of the synths I used was Moog Model D)

• @dafingaz and @gosnote wow. Thanks guys

• edited December 2018

@DeanDaughters said:
    I voted for Insomniak because I really like that swinging groove. <3

Sounds like this might be a remix of an existing track though, and I wonder how much of this is original and how much is sampled from an actual track that I don't know, perhaps? ;)

Congrats to everyone who got an entry in! :) :)

Thanks for the vote! I just wanted to confirm that the music is original and I only sampled the vocals. I also put in a reference to the famous Under Me Sleng Teng riddem but more in the mid range instead of a bassline. The swing really came together when I found that BM3 has a global swing setting, great feature!

• edited December 2018

Voted for @fever404 because the track gave me nostalgic feeling.

• edited December 2018

@iDull said:

@5pinlink said:
    @Slava21 here

LMAO

What exactly does this mean ?

• edited December 2018

@Insomniak said:
    I just wanted to confirm that the music is original

Big ups to you @Insomniak ! Much respect! <3
    That swing rhythm with the ragga flava has really got me bobbin' !
    **Fantastic work! **

• Gave it to Hans. Just a lovely vibe.

Nice work everyone!!

• edited December 2018

Great job all,
    My vote this time is for @hansjbs
    When I first listened to the track from a tweet this week I was very impressed by the global work done very pleasant to hear and watch.

For next year votes, would it be possible to split points on 3 candidates instead of only one vote?
    Or maybe choose the third first with respectively for instance 12 pts for the 1st choice, 8 pts for the 2nd and 3 pts for the third.
    It might motivate more to participate but especially give more awards in points🌞✌🏼
    This could also allow some friendly ranking over the year?

• We're at the midway point in voting, and here's the current status..

• There have been 19 votes so far
    • Every single entry has received at least 1 vote (this is amazing!)
    • hansjbs has started to take a very strong lead

...but there are still 24 hours to go

• edited December 2018

@Xyl_Run said:
    Great job all,
    My vote this time is for @hansjbs
    When I first listened to the track from a tweet this week I was very impressed by the global work done very pleasant to hear and watch.

For next year votes, would it be possible to split points on 3 candidates instead of only one vote?
    Or maybe choose the third first with respectively for instance 12 pts for the 1st choice, 8 pts for the 2nd and 3 pts for the third.
    It might motivate more to participate but especially give more awards in points🌞✌🏼
    This could also allow some friendly ranking over the year?

Really appreciate the kind words and Thank you both you and @GusGranite
    @tk32 and @5pinlink I think that’s a really good idea to have a point system and be able to vote for more than one candidate.

• Sounds like a fair system to me.

Can anyone think of any downsides to each having a 1st/2nd/3rd choice vote?

We wouldn't be able to use the poll, and would have to post our choices here (or via private message) - but otherwise it should work out nicely.