Tempo/Marker/Progression track discussion

This discussion was created from comments split from: Tempo track please..

Comments

• A track that contains tempo and metre info, so you can change it throughout your session as it plays.

Personally i want to go a few steps further.
    A global marker track area above the timeline ruler, so you can enter
    Tempo/meter
    Arrangement markers, so you can layout markers for intro/verse/chorus etc
    Chord progression linked to available notes in the piano roll, so you can enter your chord progression and then all notes in the piano roll will be highlighted according to the current chord, great for quickly writing melodies and basslines based on your chords.

Have these all individually savable so that we can share arrangements and chord progressions with the community, great learning tools and great composition tools.

• You extracted all that info from ‘tempo track please’, impressive 😉

Sound like it would clutter up the small iPad UI but of course valid reasons.

• Yeah I didn’t get all that from tempo track please either 😂

• @5pinlink said:
    A track that contains tempo and metre info, so you can change it throughout your session as it plays.

A global marker track area above the timeline ruler, so you can enter
    Tempo/meter
    Arrangement markers, so you can layout markers for intro/verse/chorus etc
    Chord progression linked to available notes in the piano roll, so you can enter your chord progression and then all notes in the piano roll will be highlighted according to the current chord, great for quickly writing melodies and basslines based on your chords.

Have these all individually savable so that we can share arrangements and chord progressions with the community, great learning tools and great composition tools.

If BM3 ever got what you propose here I would not only eat my proverbial hat, but I would be stoked as fuck. That would be the ultimate holy grail of song composition for me. I’ve never even bothered dreaming so far ahead of creative tools like that for bm3, when there are so many other fundamentals we are still waiting on ... but yeah man that would be a fantastic idea.

• edited January 2019

@theinvisibleman said:
    You extracted all that info from ‘tempo track please’, impressive 😉

Sound like it would clutter up the small iPad UI but of course valid reasons.

Nope, I got this from it

@5pinlink said:
    A track that contains tempo and metre info, so you can change it throughout your session as it plays.

Which is a standard feature set from a bunch of DAWs.

@5pinlink said:

Then i mused about what is actually needed lol.

FYI this wouldn't clutter the UI, they are invariably global information and because of that are generally collapsable to be hidden entirely.

@groovey it is what i envisage in my perfect DAW, it is already in Tracktion, unfortunately it's Tracktion LOL

• @5pinlink i think they may have something similar in Cubase pro 9 or close to it. Basically you input your chord progressions of which they are also give you suggestions via circle of fifths etc, and then the entire song follows suit, the bass changes accordingly etc.

To have what you’ve suggested built into bm3 would be next level.

Is this something your developer friend could somehow implement or create a plug in for, as I don’t hold out any hope Intua would ever get round to doing something like this.

• If collapsible then great, no clutter obviously. On the tiny iPad screen, I need a clean UI.

• edited January 2019

@groovey i dont even want it automated, just highlighting in the piano roll, so if it is a C major chord in the progression, the seven notes (i think) would be highlighted in each octave in the piano roll, so it would be simple to work out chords and inversions, bass and melody notes.

Add that to being able to drag n drop progressions/arrangement markers from the browser, damn that would be slick.

• I split this off in to its own discussion.

• Yes agreed> @5pinlink said:

@groovey i dont even want it automated, just highlighting in the piano roll, so if it is a C major chord in the progression, the seven notes (i think) would be highlighted in each octave in the piano roll, so it would be simple to work out chords and inversions, bass and melody notes.

Add that to being able to drag n drop progressions/arrangement markers from the browser, damn that would be slick.

Yes agreed this would be next level compositional juiciness. Is this something any of your developer peeps might be able to code a modular plugin for somehow ?

• edited January 2019

Nah, this is something that needs to be core, highlighting specific notes etc in the piano roll is going to need to be all @mathieugarcia.

But it does cover my point of pay a few $$ for third parties to do what they can do well, leave the super integrated core stuff to updates from intua.

Example
    Intua create the progression track ability and allow it to save and open to files.
    Immediately some people will want an auto progression generator, but that is not core feature set, there are a ton of 3rd party progression generators already on IOS, so they just add an iap for save to B3 progression, or some bright spark just makes a new app for it, it builds an entire economy around B3.
    Obviously the greater step to that is for @mathieugarcia to create the core feature (progression track/marker whatever you want to call it) and open the specs ala VST/ARA/Rewire etc etc.
    This is what we really need, defined standards for this stuff, to boost the interapp econony and modularity of IOS itself.
    @brambos has been saying it for a while, and very few are listening, standards standards standards.
    Imagine @mathieugarcia defines the progression track spec, then it is implemented in NS2 and Cubasis etc etc, now we have a way to pass around a ton of arrangements and progressions that load anywhere, all because a standard was defined and the spec opened.

• @5pinlink sounds like a great idea. Hope this takes off and people recognise the power in all of this ? Turning bm3 into a much more musical song composition tool would be incredible. It already has the foundation laid with a myriad of chord selections built in, but no way to record them or capitalise on that etc.

• I might just define the spec myself as a simple text doc readable format, publish it and then ask @mathieugarcia to implement it.

• Amazing !👍