(Possibly) Solved: Automation FX issues

(Wasn’t sure what category to put this in. )

As we know automating fx can be troublesome in bm3, it sometimes does this thing where the value parameters change from 0-100 to 0-2000 or something like that. As well as other weird glitches like automation lines ‘flatten out’ upon session reload, so you can’t see the automation curve anymore.

I did some troubleshooting as I wondered for the first time if it might be plugin related. And I found what was causing all of this ! (For me in my setup at least). It was the z mors EQ. Once I took it off, all the automation curves showed up again and the 2000 % parameter changed back to 100% in all automation tracks.

You need to take the EQ off ALL tracks though. Even if you have a single one elsewhere it will cause all those issues.

Everything is now buttery smooth again. Even the freaking audio damage plugins are automating fine!.This is on the latest iOS update, iPad 11.

Rule of thumb:

USE AS MANY BM3 INBUILT FX AS POSSIBLE. THIS EASES COMPATIBILITY ISSUES. AND THE FX ARE MOSTLY EQUALLY AS GOOD AS ALL THE OTHER THIRD PARTY FX. THIS IS HOW NANOSTUDIO MANAGES TO BE SO STABLE. BM3 CAN BE TOO.

I’ve been slowly replacing all third party plugins with bm3s. And there’s literally no difference. The compressors. The reverbs. The EQs. They are all bread and butter. I feel like I’ve spent hundreds of pounds on plugins I really didn’t need.

@mathieugarcia not sure if any of this is useful in your bug squashing but thought best to post just in case it was.

Comments

• The main one for me that does it is Turnado.

• The EQ in B3 is poor though, the display on it is all over the place, there is no real bell filter, no full screen etc, it needs a small overhaul, but i have been saying this for a long time, the built in effects just need a bunch of tweaking from @mathieugarcia and they will be top notch.
    I have a list of simple needed tweaks for all the effects that would make most bread and butter AUv3 plugins superfluous.

• edited January 2019

Two settings, two plugins readable, EQ curve doesnt even look like its changed in B3, i am not sure if this Band Shelf is actually doing the cut that the other two are doing, i havent run a noise through a scope to check, and honestly, the naming of the EQ controls is just strange, reso instead of Q, And the band shelf (Bell) would probably be visually fine if it only cut to -24 or so db, currently it goes to -144db and i think that throws the curve out, that being the case this band shelf is the missing bell, but the curve just looks fruity.

Reso renamed Q.
    Fix the curve display issues (Probably related to allowing -144db cut)
    Full screen
    Extra slopes for the LP/HP/BP 6/12/24/36/48
    and this EQ is a bread and butter beast.

• @Audiogus said:
    The main one for me that does it is Turnado.

You mean the main 3rd party plugin that does it for you ? Yes me too. Turnado plus inbuilt b3 suits nearly all I could want. Audio damage ones are fun but I find that I normally take them off once the mix is done so never use them much.

• @winconway agree with you. Full screen totally. And all those other points.

Full screen for automation too.

For me I tend to use my ears for EQing so currently b3 as is, isn’t too bad for me, even with its quirks. Though may buy the fab filter eq as it does look great.

• @groovey said:

@Audiogus said:
    The main one for me that does it is Turnado.

You mean the main 3rd party plugin that does it for you ? Yes me too. Turnado plus inbuilt b3 suits nearly all I could want. Audio damage ones are fun but I find that I normally take them off once the mix is done so never use them much.

I mean Turnado is the one I notice most that does the buggy automation flatline. :/

• @groovey said:
    @winconway agree with you. Full screen totally. And all those other points.

Full screen for automation too.

For me I tend to use my ears for EQing so currently b3 as is, isn’t too bad for me, even with its quirks. Though may buy the fab filter eq as it does look great.

I love ProQ2 but there is ProQ3 coming out at some point which has an awesome feature where you can see the wave /masking of any other instance running. Will be awesome for mobile especially. Not sure what the pricing will be or if they will have a bundle with 2 essentially acting as a faux upgrade but you may want to hold off and see if 3 is announced soon. Hopefully... hmmm

• @Audiogus

Dude! I got rid of all the turnado flatlines by removing all instances of mors eq or whatever that plugins called. That’s why I was so stoked to share the news and hopefully help others.

Even if you’re not using z mors, it must / could possibly mean that there is another ‘rogue’ plugin in your chain that is causing the curves to flatline.

(As always have no idea if this is a b3 issue or a 3rd party plugin issue. Though I reckon the next b3 update will fix a lot of stuff speaking to some developers who are using it).

Turnado now works super smooth like butter. It’s bloody amazing.

PS thanks for the headsup on the fabfilters

• @groovey said:
    Though I reckon the next b3 update will fix a lot of stuff speaking to some developers who are using it.

I would take any talk of future versions of Beatmaker being used with a pinch of salt ;)

• @winconway said:

@groovey said:
    Though I reckon the next b3 update will fix a lot of stuff speaking to some developers who are using it.

I would take any talk of future versions of Beatmaker being used with a pinch of salt ;)

Oh that’s strange. No matter. I’m not fussed as all is working well for me right now more or less 👍