ADSR Envelope doesn't work with samples? :-(

It appears the ADSR Envelope in BM3 doesn't work with samples. It worked fairly okay in BM2 but not in BM3. :-( Thoughts?

Comments

• It definitely works. I use it every day.

What are you trying to do.. I'll see if I can help explain

• Just trying to shorten the decay / release and it does nothing. The attack and sustain I believe works but that's it. I just don't get why people say certain things in BM3 work when they definitely don't for me. I really hate to complain but with all these complications I feel like I wanna just use BM2 and / or a laptop!!

• Okay just used the AHD envelope and that works - thank goodness lol.

• edited January 2019

Did you have it set to AHDSR previously?

If you were dealing with very short samples (like drum sounds) AND had Hold set above 0 then the sample may have finished playing before Decay or Release got a chance to kick-in.

Luckily my upcoming free book has some really good descriptions and diagrams to explain the different amp envelope modes

• @tk32 said:
    Did you have it set to AHDSR previously?

If you were dealing with very short samples (like drum sounds) AND had Hold set above 0 that the sample had finished playing before Decay or Release get a chance to kick-in.

Luckily my upcoming free book has some really good descriptions and diagrams to explain the different amp envelope modes

Yeah I had it on AHDSR previously. I find AHD work's well enough. I'll keep experimenting though. Cheers tk32.

• AHDSR works perfectly fine, much like everything else you have said that doesnt work for you.
    Again we are willing to help, give an example of what you want to do, and i will make you a video.

• edited January 2019

By the way @The_Bro — there's nothing in BM3 that 'doesn't work'. But I suppose there are a few things that might appear to have no effect or purpose if you don't know how they work.

For example, setting a bank to pre-fader sends may make no audible difference at first, but it definitely works ;)

I suspect the problem you had with AHDSR was setting the value for HOLD too high. If the HOLD value is longer than the sample, you will never get A DELAY or RELEASE tail, no matter how quickly you play the pad

• edited February 2019

Think i know what you mean. Try turning the HOLD almost all the way up so the window shows a pretty ridiculously long hold length. Then cut the SUSTAIN down to 0%. With the DECAY at about half bring the HOLD way back down until you hear it start to roll off the audio. Play with the DECAY until you hear the desired results. The shorter you make the HOLD the sharper the DECAY becomes. The RELEASE doesn't offer much at this point so you're really just working with the DECAY and HOLD ..but it does work.

• I would love to have the ADHSR envelope superimposed on the waveform!

• Does MIDI import/export work?

• @ampapps said:
    Does MIDI import/export work?

MIDI export was never a feature, not sure where you got that idea ?
    Does MIDI import work, yes, shall i prove it with a video ?
    Does it have issues with some MIDI files saved certain ways, yes, should it deal with those issues, oh damn yes.

Yes it works, yes it is buggy.

• Sorry, BM2 has MIDI export, my bad.

• Yeah, it just happens to be that I have hundreds of MIDI drum files. The beauty of being able to import them is inspiring and vice versa, lol. I’m too inexperienced to know that new versions don’t necessarily include functions of old versions. I guess you have to give up some things to get others. A MIDI import lottery is better than nothing.

• @gosnote said:
    I would love to have the ADHSR envelope superimposed on the waveform!

This would make sense.

• @ampapps said:
    Yeah, it just happens to be that I have hundreds of MIDI drum files. The beauty of being able to import them is inspiring and vice versa, lol. I’m too inexperienced to know that new versions don’t necessarily include functions of old versions. I guess you have to give up some things to get others. A MIDI import lottery is better than nothing.

I can confirm 100% that @mathieugarcia wants to make MIDI file import 100% robust, I have been making a collection of MIDI files for him that don't work, so it will get better, creating a list of priorities is a near impossible task for a developer.

• Just c> @winconway said:

@ampapps said:
    Yeah, it just happens to be that I have hundreds of MIDI drum files. The beauty of being able to import them is inspiring and vice versa, lol. I’m too inexperienced to know that new versions don’t necessarily include functions of old versions. I guess you have to give up some things to get others. A MIDI import lottery is better than nothing.

I can confirm 100% that @mathieugarcia wants to make MIDI file import 100% robust, I have been making a collection of MIDI files for him that don't work, so it will get better, creating a list of priorities is a near impossible task for a developer.

Thank you.

• @The_Bro I can only confirm this happening opening BM2 presets in BM3. The new ADSR envelope is incompatible with BM2 presets imported into BM3. There's a fix. I just forget how. Could this be your issue?