Midi Sync

I wish there was a way to TIGHTLY midi sync BM3 roll midi with Ableton on the mac. Essentially, a BM3 bank would be able to replace the Push. While sync is possible with Ableton Link, the lag that comes with wireless is insane and some link behaviors are unfit for this particular use-case. The best solution would be to send midi and sync over usb to the computer.

On the Mac, when I connect the 11" iPad pro via usbc, I can use it as a midi and audio interface with the mac, but BM3 has no way to make read or send tempo it seems.

Comments

• Use midi link sinc app and see if you still got that lag

• edited February 2019

If Ableton link has lag its a bug and nothing at all to do with wireless, lag on Ableton Link is next to impossible even over the crappiest of connections because it is just beat sync, not position sync.

• edited February 2019

@winconway said:
    If Ableton link has lag its a bug and nothing at all to do with wireless, lag on Ableton Link is next to impossible even over the crappiest of connections because it is just beat sync, not position sync.

The lag I'm referring specifically with Ableton Link is the start and stop locking. Yes, its in tempo once it gets going, but when I'm using BM3 to send midi to record a clip in live, I have to wait until the loop comes around to jump in. Anyone who has tried it knows what I mean.

@NeHo said:
    Use midi link sinc app and see if you still got that lag

I'll look into that today. As you said it I opened my iPad only to realize the battery was dead...I left BM3 running in the background :(

• edited February 2019

Thats how Ableton Link works, it locks to bars, so you always have to wait for the start of the next bar, that is neither bug or lag, it is Ableton Link and the very reason it syncs.

• @winconway said:
    Thats how Ableton Link works, it locks to bars, so you always have to wait for the start of the next bar, that is neither bug or lag, it is Ableton Link and the very reason it syncs.

I understand. Thats why I think it's not reliable for every scenario. I'm looking for some classic midi sync functionality that does not rely on Ableton Link, so I'm not set back a bar.