Editing audio tracks.

I love Beatmaker 3, but unless I’m missing something, then it needs a better audio editor. When I record a guitar part I can’t hear what I’m recording, which I’m assuming is a bug. So my timing is a little off. However I can’t figure out how to cut and nudge pieces of the audio to correct it like on a typical daw. So am I missing something or is the audio editing in BM3 just really lackluster and basic?

For the time being I’m going to try and use audiobus and connect bm3 to Auria Pro I guess. They’re audio editor is like a real daw. Again I’m not knocking bm3. I hope either I’m doing something wrong or it gets better on next release. I’d love to use this app as my main daw, which I can for midi stuff. But with audio tracks it’s a no go.

Is it me missing something or bm3?

Comments

• Audio editing in BM3 is just not very good so far

• Auria Pro is the only iOS DAW that has the kind of editing you’re looking for, as far as I know.

But, one thing you can try is to slice up the audio, then export the slices to pads with the “create pattern” option turned on. That gives you a pattern with each slice laid out along the timeline. You can then adjust the timing of the slices.

The result may not be as good as you need, but sometimes it works surprisingly well. It’s also possible from there to make new melodies by rearranging the slices.

Might be worth a try for you just to see.

• For monitoring, you can use two channels. What I do is set the first up with no monitoring, and the input set to my audio interface. I arm that track.

Then I set up a second track with monitoring enabled but not armed. I also set up any FX I want, such as an amp sim on this track.

The first track records the dry guitar signal. You can then either copy the dry audio to the second track for playback, or set the audio input first track as the audio input for the second track. If you do it the second way, then you need to set the first track to post fader and mute it. (Sorry, that last bit sounds complicated, hard to explain briefly). It’s probably easiest jut to copy the audio to the second track.

• edited July 2019

I don’t suspect that audio track editing in BM3 will be improving at any point.

Eventually Nanostudio2 will be getting an audio tracks IAP, but this is after an iPhone update and probably a little ways off (maybe next year, who knows). There just isn’t a great audio track editor on iOS yet, which kind of amazes me.

• @ronji said:
    Audio editing in BM3 is just not very good so far

I've said this before and I got hate on the forum. Weird. Anyways I like BM3 and look forward to the update. :smile:

• @The_Bro said:

@ronji said:
    Audio editing in BM3 is just not very good so far

I've said this before and I got hate on the forum. Weird. Anyways I like BM3 and look forward to the update. :smile:

The key is to throw all of iOS under the bus.

• @Audiogus :joy:

@The_Bro man, you have said some things that you never backed up, and there was probably more to your statement that got you grief, but I know many people have agreed that audio editing is lacking in BM3. Sampling is superb, but audio editing is a chore. Now if you wanna say audio editing is a chore and so you just can't be arsed to use BM3 at all and you're so let down with your experience and BM2 is way better, then yeah I'ma give you grief. Fact is audio editing in BM3 is lacking right now, and hopefully it'll get improved in future updates, but it absolutely doesn't stop me from using BM3 and making music.

• edited July 2019

@The_Bro
    The only thing you got a bad reaction for here was when you accused BM3 of sample drifting but never produced a single shred of evidence or description.

Nothing nasty was ever said, and everyone's reactions to the situation seemed fairly justified (if I remember correctly).

Having said this, I took over as forum mod a fortnight ago, and if you feel anyone is treating you unfairly or disrespectfully, please let me know so I can deal with it.

We are all about peace, respect, and music here. <3

• @number37 said:
    Auria Pro is the only iOS DAW that has the kind of editing you’re looking for, as far as I know.

But, one thing you can try is to slice up the audio, then export the slices to pads with the “create pattern” option turned on. That gives you a pattern with each slice laid out along the timeline. You can then adjust the timing of the slices.

The result may not be as good as you need, but sometimes it works surprisingly well. It’s also possible from there to make new melodies by rearranging the slices.

Might be worth a try for you just to see.

Yeah I watched a video on Auria’s audio editing features and it does exactly what I want. I think my problem there though would be sinking the two apps together. Since they don’t have midi time clock or any other feature to work together timing wise it’ll still be a pain in the ass to record. I used to do this on the desk top. When Reason didn’t do audio I “rewired” in into Digital Performer and recorded audio tracks there and I could work in both programs simultaneously. I might just try what you said and chop it on the sampler and seeing how that goes, but not my first choice really.

@number37 said:
    For monitoring, you can use two channels. What I do is set the first up with no monitoring, and the input set to my audio interface. I arm that track.

Then I set up a second track with monitoring enabled but not armed. I also set up any FX I want, such as an amp sim on this track.

The first track records the dry guitar signal. You can then either copy the dry audio to the second track for playback, or set the audio input first track as the audio input for the second track. If you do it the second way, then you need to set the first track to post fader and mute it. (Sorry, that last bit sounds complicated, hard to explain briefly). It’s probably easiest jut to copy the audio to the second track.

I figured this out and it works!

@Audiogus said:

Eventually Nanostudio2 will be getting an audio tracks IAP, but this is after an iPhone update and probably a little ways off (maybe next year, who knows). There just isn’t a great audio track editor on iOS yet, which kind of amazes me.

I have a feeling your right. Just from my short time reading a lot and researching it doesn’t look like Intua is fast to respond or fix anything. We’ll see though. I really love this program and the only thing missing is the audio editing for the most part. I could live with other things it’s lacking.

• @BradRich said:

@Audiogus said:

I have a feeling your right. Just from my short time reading a lot and researching it doesn’t look like Intua is fast to respond or fix anything. We’ll see though. I really love this program and the only thing missing is the audio editing for the most part. I could live with other things it’s lacking.

Yah aside from bug fixes (and a few odd clunky/cumbersome behaviors) the only thing I would want is traditional audio track editing.

• Obviously this is a workaround, but remember it's possible to load recordings into the BM3 sampler, do your edits and trims, then re-save the edited audio ready to drag back onto the timeline

• edited August 2019

@tk32 said:
    Obviously this is a workaround, but remember it's possible to load recordings into the BM3 sampler, do your edits and trims, then re-save the edited audio ready to drag back onto the timeline

The ‘edit sample’ option on an audio track works more or less the same as the sampler editor to me.

• Would exporting the audio to something like Hokusai Audio Editor editing there and reimporting it work, or would that be too much trouble? On desktop, I have Ableton Live and FL Studio set up to edit audio in Izotope. Using Hokusai would be similar but not as integrated, I suppose.

• @rtkeeling said:
    Would exporting the audio to something like Hokusai Audio Editor editing there and reimporting it work, or would that be too much trouble?

That sort of editing is available in BM3. The basic trim, normalize, fade in/out (destructive) is all fine for coarse level stuff.