Do not update to iPad OS 13!

edited August 2019 in Compatibility

Just wanted to shout this out as it's known right now in iPad music community.

Multitouch (not just music apps) is broken in iPadOS betas.

You won't be able to successfully do anything with 3 fingers.

This includes notes and/or pads, soloing, muting, volume, macros, etc.

Undo/Redo in unaffected in BM3. Can't say this for other apps.

Cheers!

Comments

• I noticed this after updating to ipados public beta 5, a three finger touch (tap or hold) brings up a text copy/paste toolbar no matter what app you're in. Hopefully this is a bug.
    https://www.macrumors.com/2019/08/07/everything-new-in-ios-13-beta-6/

• It doesn't ruin everything, but it is a big annoyance. Here's a video where I show how it sucks, but how you can still have 3+ touch points.

• edited August 2019

The biggest annoyance is 3+ simultaneous touches. As you might guess, midi controllers don't have this problem.

• Well, it does "kill" the gestures that it mentions, but it doesn't help this issue. I already had that turned off, yet the new gestures persist. =(

• Hold your horses there, folks. No need to be jumping to conclusions just yet. This is beta software. Give them a chance to implement and bug fix. That's what beta testing is all about!

• @XanderJames said:
    Hold your horses there, folks. No need to be jumping to conclusions just yet. This is beta software. Give them a chance to implement and bug fix. That's what beta testing is all about!

Well I'd say no one should update to the iPadOS beta without at least knowing this is a thing they'll encounter. And if this doesn't change in the final release, I'd say the same thing. So this is still a good warning!

• Well I'd say no one should update to the iPadOS beta without at least knowing this is a thing they'll encounter. And if this doesn't change in the final release, I'd say the same thing. So this is still a good warning!

I absolutely agree that nobody should be running iPadOS if they still want to reliably make music on their device right now. I just think that if people are jumping to, "Oh wow. Apple messed up again!"

And if Apple prioritizes these new 3-finger gestures over music apps...

Like, duh. They're beta testing completely new features. They always break iOS. No need to be doom and gloom about half-baked beta software. They've frankly been pretty quick to address issues in the past. Remember when we broke the new iPad Pro CPU problem to them? I think it was fixed in the beta program within two weeks or so after that.

I guess all that is to say; give Apple a chance to fix whatever they break and chill with the negativity. The BM3 community already has enough of that circulating at the moment.

• Wasn’t being negative.

I just thought it would be good to submit a “current” status aka warning for anyone hasty to try beta software.

As always, Thanks for the video @ronji !

• @ronji said:
    Well, it does "kill" the gestures that it mentions, but it doesn't help this issue. I already had that turned off, yet the new gestures persist. =(

The 'proper' way to implement the three finger-tap for the cut/copy/paste menu would to only detect it when a text-field is in focus. I'd be surprised if this doesn't get fixed as it also affects GarageBand...

• I've had other issues using BM3 on the beta such as note repeat not registering, AUs not formatting correctly specifically with some audio damage apps. The right side of the plugin doesn't respond to touch at all