BeatMaker 3 update

Comments

• Like this...

• @DeanDaughters said:

@Audiogus said:
    Sigh. Can’t everyone just want the same thing? Specifically, what I want?

Only if what you want is proper midi clock in and out, and the ability to assign any knob in BM3 to any knob on my midi controllers. 😏

Hehe, I concede that proper midi clock in and out is good for the community (sure, my Circuit would like it) and should be technically possible (seems like it was confirmed as happening at some point).

any knob midi controllable... dayum... you want a flying car with that? ;) Egoist does it I suppose. But it feels like the sort of awesome thing that if it wasn't planned from the beginning may be tough to layer on top but yah, hmmm, mayhaps, mayhaps...

• @tk32 said:
    @jeezs

Vincent has said publicly on this forum that he is working on an update, and so we have to trust his words. It may end up getting delayed beyond August if there have been complications, but we must give him the benefit of the doubt.

No, we don’t.

Something tells me Vincent is in way over his head with this. A week out from his self-imposed deadline and no chatter about an impending release? There isn’t anything happening in August, and if something drops before 2020, if at all, i’ll Be completely surprised.

Frankly some pride needs to be swallowed and efforts made to get Mathieu back on the team, if that’s even possible. Foregoing that, finding someone with enough technical chops to take his place. IMO that’s the only way this app’s getting saved at this point, straight up.

And although it may have been a long time since the last update, may I politely remind everyone here that BM3 is still, in many ways, further ahead in features and workflow than other DAWs updated and/or released in the last 12 months. It is still, by far, my very favourite DAW on iOS :)

I think that applies to everyone posting here. But if the app falls apart when you give it the slightest push then there’s no point in trying to use it. Not up for that mood-killing action.

• edited August 2019

@alteredmoods

Other than actually purchasing the app — which was a value proposition you made based on what bm3 offered at that time — I'd really like to know why you feel so entitled to post this open challenge and negative speculation about the current Dev team.

It's really disrespectful to call them out publicly like this for an update that none of us paid for, or are owed.

As forum mod, I will not censor any user's criticism or stop anyone expressing their views. But... please show a little patience and dignity, and give the Devs time (and respect) to show what they have been working on.

• Well looks like someone’s frustrated.

• @tk32 said:
    @alteredmoods

Other than actually purchasing the app — which was a value proposition you made based on what bm3 offered at that time — I'd really like to know why you feel so entitled to post this open challenge and negative speculation about the current Dev team.

It's really disrespectful to call them out publicly like this for an update that none of us paid for, or are owed.

As forum mod, I will not censor any user's criticism or stop anyone expressing their views. But... please show a little patience and dignity, and give the Devs time (and respect) to show what they have been working on.

That part

I’m excited for the update!

• edited August 2019

@tk32 said:

I agree on most of this, but partly disagree on the update we didn't pay for. I expect stability as part of the offer when I buy apps. I love it to bits, but it crashes in almost every session I work on. No matter if I use 3rd party plugins or not.

And I'm excited for the update as well !

• now, in less than a week we*ll finally have the update.
    I’m exited too.

• This week will be long...

• edited August 2019

@tk32 said:
    @alteredmoods

While I might not be owed a certain set of features, I am entitled to an app that doesn’t crash when I look at it hard. As far as I remember, instability wasn’t a line item in the app’s feature set.

It’s an opinion, dude. I only have anecdotal evidence that any of it is correct. It’s not like I rate Mathieu really highly either, but at least things were getting fixed under his watch.

I really hope I’m wrong! Because that means I get a stable, functioning drop, and can move on with my life. But if the past 9 months are any indicator, I don’t have a lot of hope that things are going to improve.

Vincent further complicated the situation by setting a deadline! He has no one else to blame. Everybody knows or should know that the cardinal rule in a customer-facing industry is to under-promise and over-deliver.

Sir, you can mod the forum however you like. But maybe stop taking offense to my questions and start asking some of your own. I’m not here to pledge fealty. I want to make beats. Either Vincent is serious about getting this app in working shape or he isn’t, simple as. And if he’s not capable of delivering the fixes on his own, then he should find someone who is. That’s not disrespect, that’s truth. I’m sure he is a fine human being, but I am not his friend, I bought something from him.

• @alteredmoods my sentiments exactly. If I bought a car that breaks down every time I turn it on, I’d have been ripped off. If I bought clothes online that turned out to be full of holes,I’d have been ripped off. Why should we accept an app that is a shell of what it’s sold as? People earn respect. over a year of silence on a product I payed money for after being told explicitly by the dev on their forum “working on it, coming soon!” Is ridiculous. they do not care because they spent my money a year ago, and they continue to take peoples money every day, it’s false advertisement imo

• edited August 2019

@alteredmoods @JDB

To be completely honest, I'd be as upset as you both if BM3 was crashing as often as you say.

The truth is, I have learnt which particular things make it unstable, and now it hardly crashes at all. I save regularly, and enjoy crash-free music sessions every day without frustration.

Have either of you managed to identify triggers, or patterns of actions that often lead to crashes?

• edited August 2019

@tk32 said:
    @alteredmoods @JDB

To be completely honest, I'd be as upset as you both of BM3 was crashing as often as you say.

I use BM3 everyday on my iPad Pro and I almost never had crashes.
    But maybe it depends of the configuration.
    The problem, for me, is only the lack of communication, when Mathieu was part of INTUA the communication with customers was excellent.
    Since then, total blackout!!
    For me this is the real reason people are upset.

• That’s a common problem I noticed, some people get more crashes than others. Did you guys put in what makes BM3 crash for you in TK’s thread? This will help @vincent .

• Bring it back to iPhone please >:) o:)

• If I were at the helm of this I would have set the update to auto release at the end of the month (like 11:59pm on the 31st) and then spend the time until then working on business/life to clear the decks for the tsunami of post update feedback to come.

• edited August 2019

@jeezs said:

@tk32 said:
    @alteredmoods @JDB

To be completely honest, I'd be as upset as you both of BM3 was crashing as often as you say.

I use BM3 everyday on my iPad Pro and I almost never had crashes.
    But maybe it depends of the configuration.
    The problem, for me, is only the lack of communication, when Mathieu was part of INTUA the communication with customers was excellent.
    Since then, total blackout!!

Vincent has been on the forum a few times over the past month. It has not been a total blackout.

For me this is the real reason people are upset.

If that is the case then they shouldn’t be. Things seem to be picking up.

• @tk32 said:
    @alteredmoods @JDB

To be completely honest, I'd be as upset as you both if BM3 was crashing as often as you say.

The truth is, I have learnt which particular things make it unstable, and now it hardly crashes at all. I save regularly, and enjoy crash-free music sessions every day without frustration.

Have either of you managed to identify triggers, or patterns of actions that often lead to crashes?

It happens for me in nearly all scenarios.

I have two iPad Pros: my main which is a 2G 12.9 and a burner which is a 2G 10.5. My burner gets all the updates so I can test things out before I upgrade my main.

I run 3.0.12 on the burner and 3.0.10 on the main. The more AUv3 you involve, the more unstable it gets, but I have had it crash when looping a purely audio -only frame, even with the included FX. Typically, I will see crashes when I switch views or change banks, or adding or removing FX during playback. It’s less likely to crash when play is stopped, but the problem doesn’t go away completely. I’ve had it crash on MIDI note edits and moves. I’ve had it crash right at the start of a session as well as deep into one. I make sure nothing else is running to keep the app from being watchdog-killed.

I can duck out to the desktop during a session so that I at least get the quasi-auto save, but that presents its own problems in that if I accidentally close, I can corrupt the save file. If I get to a point where I like what I’ll doing and don’t need to come back, I’ll do a regular save. I’ll also do checkpoint saves every now and then.

I like to audition parts when i’m sketching out tunes, so a lot of the time, playback is on. To have to stop playback to change a part is just completely against any workflow I’m comfortable with.

• edited August 2019

Can’t wait for a new version.
    I would like to use BM3 as a main daw where I can make my mobile sketches, rhythm tracks. But it lacks midi export to paste midi to my PC.
    Yesterday we were rehearsing with a new drummer. BM3 lacks "updated" Ableton link support to sync it with click (Soundbrenner metronome). It could be the greatest tool in live situation.

• Just a few more days to go until end of August...

I'll just noodle along with my MicroFreak which will be very nice sampler fodder when the update drops.

Just hope it will fix the issue with input monitoring in the sampler and include some ways to easily process the sample thru for example pad or bank-effects... (I know, I can put a note-event in the sequencer and do a synced recording but c'mon).

Renoise 3.2 just dropped with time-stretching and some other goodies so that'll keep me busy for a while.
    Also I've been giving Ableton Live Lite a spin and honestly it would be pretty sweet on iOS too with Simpler and the DrumRack.

1...2...3... days to go :)

• @eve_ripper

Ableton Link is already included in bm3. You can enable it via the small Link icon under the hamburger menu in the top left corner.

• @tk32 said:
    @eve_ripper

Ableton Link is already included in bm3. You can enable it via the small Link icon under the hamburger menu in the top left corner.

I know. But since then it was updated. It now can recieve start-stop message. For Example i have written song in BM3 and I've got a drummer. So only drummer starts Link-enabled app like Soundbrenner metronome it starts my song in BM3. Now you can only sync, no start-stop.

• Nobody: "Dean, don't you be starting anything up in here, Homie! ;) "
    Me:

• @DeanDaughters said:
    Nobody: "Dean, don't you be starting anything up in here, Homie! ;) "
    Me:

😂😂😂😂😂😂. @DeanDaughters you have to say that line in a video homie.

• Hello one and all,

Just letting you know we'll have a first beta phase for the maintenance update during the week end.
    It will include few of the features we planned to add and will be explained in the information provided within the build.
    We'll make a specific post to recruit beta testers and are planning to have a first test build by tomorrow night.

Thank you for your patience,
    Keeping it tidy,
    Vincent B.

• Great news, @vincent =) thanks for keeping us in the loop

• Super cool,
    Incredible news.
    Thanks @vincent

• Great, thanks lot @vincent for this great news ☺️👍🏼✅☀️

• EPIC! ❤️❤️

• Ohhhhh happy day!!!!
    Great news!!!!
    @vincent will the beta be a seperate build as done before?