Ipad OS USB support

Hi guys any idea what the Ipad OS USB support will mean for BM3 and how it will benefit users? I'm very excited for this new update though!!!

Comments

• edited September 2019

It means that samples can be easily copied to (and from) the iOS Files app via mass storage devices.

Although I must say, I prefer transferring wirelessly via SMB shares from my desktop PC. No separate storage devices required!

• Oh right so can we not just stick the usb drive in and load and run samples off that? Surely that's more beneficial? :smiley:

• @tk32 said:
    It means that samples can be easily copied to (and from) the iOS Files app via mass storage devices.

Although I must say, I prefer transferring wirelessly via SMB shares from my desktop PC. No separate storage devices required!

I look forward to being able to just plug in my Mini Kaoss pad2 on the train, whoot!

• @The_Bro said:
    Oh right so can we not just stick the usb drive in and load and run samples off that? Surely that's more beneficial? :smiley:

I imagine USB drive speed / cache / voodoo is an annoying pain to deal with, particularly with disk streaming.

• It all depends on how the app implements the support.

It's possible to make an 'in line file browser' meaning USB sticks and SMB drives could just pop up in the BM3's built-in file browser. For this BM3 just has to ask the user for permission to access the files.
    (I don't know how to do it but I know it is doable)

This would be an iOS13 only feature so the developers would have to make a choice to drop legacy support...
    (Most devices capable of running BM3 decently will already support iPadOS so it's only those who rely on old apps that will not be able to update and thus miss out on the new features).

• @The_Bro said:
    Oh right so can we not just stick the usb drive in and load and run samples off that? Surely that's more beneficial? :smiley:

You can, but you still have to copy them onto the iPad storage before you can load them in BM3. In other words, you can't build a track that uses samples directly from a USB drive

• @tk32 said:

@The_Bro said:

You can, but you still have to copy them onto the iPad storage before you can load them in BM3. In other words, you can't build a track that uses samples directly from a USB drive

That's a shame. Streaming over usb makes so much sense.

• Especially USB 3.0

• So I downloaded Ipad OS yesterday. Looks good. Can't wait to see how BM3's update will benefit from it!!! :wink:

• edited September 2019

• edited September 2019

@The_Bro - I think it's important to understand that it will take quite a while before apps learn to capitalise on the new features in iPadOS.

When you think how long we've had the 'Files app' for now, and that many big apps still don't use it at all.

It's still early days, just sayin'

• Slightly off topic but Garageband has now updated with USB support. Come on @vincent and Intua chop chop lol.