.....and still the sync drifts!!

Another year on and 1 update!!

I had hoped that the drifting Ableton sync may have at least been fixed in this version but alas no.
I now KNOW that I wasted my money

It's a drum machine that doesn't play in time with anything but itself!

Went to NanoStudio 2 - a much happier bunny with that

Comments

• Lol, what a petulant post! “I’m running to NanoStudio 2, so there!”

Anyway, I’m not sure that Link drift was even listed as a bug...? I didn’t see it come up on the beta back and forth.

What are the circumstances where it goes out of sync for you? Would be good to get that dealt with.

• edited November 2019

@mixbay you've given us no real information with which we can test and try to recreate your bug, so I can only agree with @GusGranite and conclude you are being a troll. I've only heard one other user report so-called 'drifting' and despite many attempts to help them it remained unsubstantiated and not backed up with evidence (and most likely user error).

I'm going to keep this thread open in the hope that you decide to help us by sharing more detail about the 'drifting issue' you believe you have encountered, but if you're not here to celebrate, learn and help make BM3 better, then I'm afraid you may be better off somewhere else.

• @mixbay said:
    Another year on and 1 update!!

I had hoped that the drifting Ableton sync may have at least been fixed in this version but alas no.
    I now KNOW that I wasted my money

It's a drum machine that doesn't play in time with anything but itself!

Went to NanoStudio 2 - a much happier bunny with that

Send us a video and we can help. There are no reports besides you about drifting. It’s possible it may be user error. Ableton sync was tested extensively among about 30 beta testers with different scenarios and apps and no drifting reported. From the release which was about a week ago , user feedbacks and countless videos and still no drifting reported.

If you do feel like you don’t need to send us anything and had enough of BM3 then good luck with NS2 but posting with no evidence and making that statement does not help your case.

Let us know how we can help.

• Hmmm, not exactly the specific thread I would want to bump but I actually have been having issues with Link.

1 iPad 2017 with BM3
    1 iPad Pro 10.5 with BM3 (hosting Groovebox)

Anyway, sync goes all wacky for me. I have not spent too much time with strict BM3 to BM3 Linking without Groovebox so for now we blame Groovebox. ;)

• ableton link slips for me too. Happens on both my air2 and air3. os 12.3.1

seems to sometimes run ok for a while and then unpredictably slips almost a 16th note or so out of sync with other link apps. Really unfortunate, i like BM3 a lot and want to use it in my live sets but it's just too flaky with link.

Oh, i tried midi clock instead, but it's too drifty when slaved. tempo drifts up and down and makes note repeat drop notes. (probably fault of app sending clock, ive tried AUM and link to midi, both drift quite a bit)

• @muffin, you’re not the first person to suspect issues with AUM’s midi clock stability. I can’t say I’ve had issues, but I’ve read enough from people that say they have.

If you have Audiobus, I can highly recommend using it. Not only is midi clock super stable, but it can do the same thing Link to Midi does, bridging Midi clock and Link. Another nice thing about it is the sync can be adjusted for latency for each app.

Just a thought.

• I do use AB as well, so I’ll try its midi clock, but link would still be my preferred solution across 2 iPads.

• You can still use Link to sync the two iPads and everything else that works well with Link, but send midi clock to BM3 from AudioBus on whichever iPad is using BM3. Basically, AB3 can be the bridge between Link and Midi clock.

I don’t know if BM3 will stay in sync with clock better than Link, but it’s worth a try.

• Was somewhat promising! The clock from AB3 is definitely more stable, but unfortunately changing the tempo of the linked apps on the other iPad causes it to totally bug out and go completely out of sync.

Hmmm, and also, it seems to add .20 to the bpm and fall out of sync after running for a while if there is no tempo change.

• Dammnit! I was excited about Link. I thought I could use BM3 as a surrogate for a drum sampler in a cloud of gear.

I am only interested in running BM3 standalone and getting clock syncs to other standalone equipment. Is this still in an experimental phase? Not quite ready for tight reliable recording?

• I haven’t tried it as master for external hardware, but that may work fine. I’m just having problems when trying to sync to other apps.

• I believe it works really well with external gear