BM3 and AUM integration

edited November 2019 in General

With the latest update we got Ableton Link Start/Stop support. Today I learned that you can actually stay within the flexible audio/midi channels in AUM, press record on the channel buttons there, and have that multitrack-recorded directly to the BM3 timeline as audio tracks. That is pretty cool!

I noticed that between BM3 and AUM tempo is linked, and now start/stop is also linked, but the transport bar position does not change in the other app if you modify it in one. Is that considered a bug or a feature? The audio gets recorded in BM3 to wherever the playhead is located, when pressing record in AUM. If you in AUM for example change its transport bar position to 18:1, then BM3 does not record from here (unless its playhead happened to be there).

I also noticed that you could set up a loop region in BM3. When recording from AUM you could hear the looped region in BM3, while recording from AUM for a long time. This recording would end up as one long audio pattern in BM3 (N times the region size). Which is ok; the long pattern can be cut and you can select from this "multiple take" recording. It would be great if that long audio pattern rather had been rendered as multiple takes of the exact same size as the loop region. I think such a feature would win over many AUM users to integrate with BM3.

Short setup:

• create channels in AUM. In the output slots, select BM3 IAA 1, 2, ...
  • In a BM3 bank, on pad 1 load plugin, select AUM IAA port 1. On pad 2, select AUM IAA port 2, ...
  • In BM3 create audio tracks 1-8, make each of them record audio from the corresponding bank pad from above.
  • Just hope that the IAA nodes don't fail ... it is not as stable as AU, for sure.
  • When recording from AUM, I found it best to hit the little red dots near the output slots.

Comments

• Thanks for clearing up the concepts. That makes sense.

• Short setup:

• create channels in AUM. In the output slots, select BM3 IAA 1, 2, ...
    • In a BM3 bank, on pad 1 load plugin, select AUM IAA port 1. On pad 2, select AUM IAA port 2, ...
    • In BM3 create audio tracks 1-8, make each of them record audio from the corresponding bank pad from above.
    • Just hope that the IAA nodes don't fail ... it is not as stable as AU, for sure.
    • When recording from AUM, I found it best to hit the little red dots near the output slots.

When I try the above setup and start playing say a drum loop in BM3, switching back to the channels on AUM 3 via the plugin causes all the synths to go nuts and I get a lot of static, stuck midi notes, and distortion noises. Also the BM3 IAA plugin nodes are not stable in AUM and crash frequently and I have not had much success with integrating AUM and BM3 but it may be user error. I use AUM3 in live settings and would love to directly record my channels to BM3 as audio or midi. Please, is there a stable way to record midi notes and audio from AUM into BM3? Thanks in advance for your support.

• Thanks for your prompt response and suggestions. Latency on both AUM and BM3 is set to 1024. Should it be lower to accommodate for the integration?

• I have the latest IPad Pro. The apps I utilize the most in AUM are BASSalicious 2 and Pure Platinum Synth. Bleep’s steps are correct. The issue I am experiencing occurs when I transition between both apps using the AUM plugin in BM3 or going from AUM to BM3 with the BM3 IAA plugin. I will be sure to try your recommendations. You have been very helpful and I am grateful!

• @gfavs you talking about the slight skip when switching between the apps BM3 and AUM when syncing? I haven’t figured out what this is. I thought it was link in AUM.

• Yeah, the IAA nodes were just too unstable. Cool that start/stop can be done like this, but no fun using such a setup. I agree with @StudioES, best to just record in AUM and import that.

• edited November 2019

Why not just set up a complex route to audio tracks in BM3 of AUM channel banks?

• @mefisme The above is a video link to the issue I described earlier. It is super weird and I am unable to get around it after trying for about a week now. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I am definitely more than pleased with the recording capabilities in BM3. Maybe the integration with AUM is a limitation I can live with except I find a way to crack the bug. In the interim, I will do as @StudioES suggested :-)

• Oh my! @StudioES you have totally made my week! I turned on background audio in BM3 and deleted channel 5 from AUM and voila, switching back and forth is now seamless and the synths are working as intended in AUM!! It was a feedback loop issue. Thank you all again for your willingness to assist with issues on this forum!! Reaching out for help has been a pleasantly positive experience!

• @gfavs said:
    Oh my! @StudioES you have totally made my week! I turned on background audio in BM3 and deleted channel 5 from AUM and voila, switching back and forth is now seamless and the synths are working as intended in AUM!! It was a feedback loop issue. Thank you all again for your willingness to assist with issues on this forum!! Reaching out for help has been a pleasantly positive experience!

Great job @StudioES i don’t have AUM but was just about to mention what I thoughts look like a feedback loop.
    @gfavs happy to know your experience was positive. Any other issues please feel free to reach out.

• Hello all, BM3 refuses to open in AUM, before it seemed to work fine but just recently it won’t open at all. I have tried all the various open/swipe shut/reload etc countless times but nothing

• General tip when using IAA is to launch the app (BM3 in this case) first before connecting it to AUM.

• Yep tried that, still doesnt work!

• Amazing i just tried it again for the umpteenth time and it worked! Weird...