Apple Loop Export Not Working Correctly? (missing metadata?)

I think there is a bug in the Apple Loops export in the latest BeatMaker 3.

When I export as Apple Loop and then use the exported file in either GarageBand or BeatHawk, the receiving app doesn't know what the loop's tempo is supposed to be. The apps see the slices ok, but it seems like the tempo information is missing so the loops don't play correctly or adapt correctly to the host tempo.

Is anyone successfully using their exported files as loops in GarageBand or BeatHawk?

Comments

• @easelec said:
    I think there is a bug in the Apple Loops export in the latest BeatMaker 3.

When I export as Apple Loop and then use the exported file in either GarageBand or BeatHawk, the receiving app doesn't know what the loop's tempo is supposed to be. The apps see the slices ok, but it seems like the tempo information is missing so the loops don't play correctly or adapt correctly to the host tempo.

Is anyone successfully using their exported files as loops in GarageBand or BeatHawk?

I found the source of the issue. When you are working with a sample/loop whose tempo is different from the project's, BeatMaker 3 uses the project's tempo in the exported Apple Loop.

I think that when exporting Apple Loops, BeatMaker should use the tempo that you have set for the pad/loop if it differs from the project's tempo.

• I have run into another issue. Even when tempo is the same for the project and loop are the same, sometimes the loop length is wrong. I have a 3 measure loop that exports as 2 measures and a one measure loop that is exporting as two measures.

Sometimes it is working. I would love to hear from others doing Apple Loop exports.

• Thanks for doing some detective work and finding out more about what is happening here.

I'm afraid I'm not much help on this topic because I don't work with Apple loops (just good old fashioned WAV files here :) )

• @tk32 said:
    Thanks for doing some detective work and finding out more about what is happening here.

I'm afraid I'm not much help on this topic because I don't work with Apple loops (just good old fashioned WAV files here :) )

I still don't have a reliable recipe to reproduce the problem -- BUT, I think the source of the problem can affect things even when not saving Apple Loops.

Perhaps, you can also explore scenarios like this:

• import a long-ish audio file into a pad (let's say 3 minutes long)
    • when in sample view, tap the edit button
    • change the selection size to let's say roughly sixteen measures not staring at the beginning (the exact size and placement probably don't matter
    • tap Trim
    • now, select a measure's worth of audio near the beginning and tap Trim again

SOMETIMES: the time ruler above the audio will indicate that the selection length is quite long rather than only one measure. If that doesn't happen, undo till you are back at the original length and try again.

Sometimes, I get the problem on first try sometimes it happens after several. In any case, until I save, open another session and reopen the original session that pad's timeline will be wrong. I think that when this happens, saving as Apple Loop saves some bogus time information and possibly even the wrong audio data.

I tried to do a screen capture. But on my iPad screen capture isn't working reliably when I am in Beatmaker.