What a shame that we cannot have pressure sensitive pads...

edited January 2020 in Feature Requests

iPad Pros are pressure sensitive so pressure sensitive on-screen pads would be rad!
Pressure curve prefs would be even better.

Comments

• Hey @pask74 - to my understanding ipad pros do not have a pressure sensitive screen (I wish they would), but for example Velocity Keyboard app (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/velocity-keyboard/id1462605052) does a remarkable job of replicating pressure sensitivity. I even prefer to use it for finger drumming (4x4 pads) instead of my hardware pad controller (presonus atom). I map the pads in the standalone VK app to BM3 focus actions as I would with any hardware pad controller.

• Thanks for your reply.
    Apps like Procreate are based on pressure sensitivity, so I doubt iPad Pros aren’t but I’m happy to be proven wrong.

• The pressure sensitivity is only when used with the Apple Pen. The pen, though the fastest in the world, adds an additional 20ms latency. That will be noticeable to just about anyone when trying to do music.

• I’ve just tried and you’re right (unfortunately). Bummer.

• It would seem the best options are to either use VK as mentioned by @gosnote, or pick up a midi controller. I love my sensel morph but I wish there was global velocity adjustment in BM3 because the morph tends to like it rough.

• I actually use an MPK mini but the iPad can’t deliver enough power through its lightning connector, so a simple MPK into iPad isn’t possible.
    For a totally mobile headphones+iPad combo, pressure onscreen sensitive pads would be rad.

• I disagree. I don't think tapping glass will ever be rad, no matter how good the technology becomes.

imho, there will always be a need for good quality rubberised physical pads with variable resistance.

• edited January 2020

The sensel morph is as thin as the iPad, so it feels like the ultimate portable controller for me

• @tk32 said:

imho, there will always be a need for good quality rubberised physical pads with variable resistance.

Right but being able to just fire up your iPad and make music on a train sounds definitely rad to me still.

• Yes. Don't get me wrong. I totally agree about the appeal of everything in one device.

And I manage fine without velocity sensitivity.

Sometimes I use my left hand to vary the velocity slider whilst I am tapping with my right hand.

• @ronji said:
    The sensel morph is as thin as the iPad, so it feels like the ultimate portable controller for me

Hi @ronji - I have been courting the idea of a sensel morph, but I have heard varying opinions of the feel of the pads for finger drumming. Can you confirm, is the sensitivity / response over a wide range of velocities superior to most hardware pad controllers? With e.g. Maschine mk3 as the reference for the best pad quality for finger drumming, as reviewed by "quest for groove" ()

• That Sensel Morph looks both super smart and classy indeed!

• @gosnote I'm not the best to compare to other hardware cuz I don't have anything else to compare it to. I do think they need to add some velocity curve options to the morph editor as it would definitely improve the experience finger drumming. one thing's for sure, nothing beats the morph on portability, especially considering the ability to create custom layouts

• I too don't have a lot to compare to, but do have the Morph and like it.

The Morph's flat, rubbery pads aren't the same experience as other controllers where the pads have some "travel" to them (that's the best I can describe it). But, the velocity sensitivity is there and works well. I agree that velocity curves need to be added. You can only set the "threshold", which is the minimum velocity needed to trigger the pad. I find it necessary to add velocity curve modification through the host if provided, or via plugin. Not so much on the pads, but on the keys.

Latency over Bluetooth is fine for me. But, if you want to do MPE with the Morph, a USB connection is really needed. BT just can't handle it, and stuck notes, etc. are bound to happen.

I like the Morph a lot. The experience with the pads are as good or better IMO than those on my NanoKEY Studio. The ability to switch from a keyboard to pads and controls instantly is great. I don't like having to hook up to a PC to make modifications, but can live with that and the same is true for the NanoKEY Studio.

• @tk32 said:
    I disagree. I don't think tapping glass will ever be rad, no matter how good the technology becomes.

I saw a cool physical concept of a screen (semi far future) that would actually emboss buttons outwards on the fly and had variable tension. Some weirdo silicone glass idea thingy. But yah, Tom Cruise shit at this point.

• @ronji said:
    It would seem the best options are to either use VK as mentioned by @gosnote, or pick up a midi controller. I love my sensel morph but I wish there was global velocity adjustment in BM3 because the morph tends to like it rough.

Hey Ronji. This is Mark from Sensel. Came across your post - hope it's cool that I jump in here.

While we don't have velocity curve adjustment available in our SenselApp (yet), there are some 3rd party apps that can help you set a global velocity adjustment, by modifying the MIDI data coming in from the Morph to the iPad. Examples include MidiFlow, MidiFire and StreamByter. We haven't tested all of these, but they should all work. MidiFlow is pretty easy to set up for dropping or forcing the velocity. It has "restrict note velocities to range (1-127)" and velocity remapping modifiers you can apply to the Morph's incoming MIDI stream.

Also, here's a useful thread in the Audiob.us forums about it, where Rozeta and MidiFire are recommended.

Hope that helps. Please let me know, if you don't mind! Thanks

Best,
    Mark