Synthmaster One automation broken in its latest update...

edited January 2020 in General

For Synthmaster One users...

Previous automation that worked no longer automates and I cannot create new automation of most parameters, such as Filter 1 cutoff.

It looks like the parameter list in BM3 is very incomplete now (or at least it is not what it used to be prior to the latest Synthmaster One update). Here is a video where I compare it to the AU parameter list accessible in AUM, which seems to show them all.

In BM3 the first set of 26 or 27 parameters show up along with the Arp category but any categories after that fail to be accessible. I sure hope I can recover the automation I had going in about a hundred BM3 sessions.

Comments

• Damn, that's a shame.

Have you informed KV331Bulent in the SM1 beta thread over on the Audiobus forums?

• @tk32 said:
    Damn, that's a shame.

Have you informed KV331Bulent in the SM1 beta thread over on the Audiobus forums?

Yes, in this thread and a dm

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36602/synthmaster-one-v1-3-universal-live#latest

• Thanks Gus.

Hope this is fixable... and that your old sessions are restored to former glory.

• edited January 2020

@tk32 said:
    Thanks Gus.

Hope this is fixable... and that your old sessions are restored to former glory.

Thanks,

Part of me wonders if it is a BM3 issue (AU parameter number limit as komrad suggested?) that was 'work arounded' before to accommodate only BM3 and that the workaround is essentially expired. I hope this doesn't require a BM3 update or if it is a Synthmaster One fix that it isn't a hack/kludge for them.

Has me a wee bit stressed as I have had quite a few iOS gotchas lately. Headin back to desktop this weekend heh.

• edited January 2020

From the Audiobus Forum...

@kv331audio_bulent said:

The DAW is storing parameter infos by index, instead of id. That's totally incorrect. I'll test this next week. I'm flying back from LAX today (at Heathrow right now)

• From Apple documentation:

Parameter addresses are not necessarily persistent, unless the individual audio unit promises to maintain its addressing scheme. Hosts should bind to parameter key paths instead of parameter addresses.

• @kv331audio_bulent said:
    From Apple documentation:

Parameter addresses are not necessarily persistent, unless the individual audio unit promises to maintain its addressing scheme. Hosts should bind to parameter key paths instead of parameter addresses.

Thanks for posting this @kv331audio_bulent

Unfortunately SM One is the only plugin we know of that has demonstrated this issue in BM3.
    Is there nothing that can be done to maintain former parameter addresses?

• edited January 2020

@tk32 said:
    Unfortunately SM One is the only plugin we know of that has demonstrated this issue in BM3.
    Is there nothing that can be done to maintain former parameter addresses?

Sorry about this, but indexes are NOT supposed to be unique. I will go ahead and revert parameter indexes, BUT this time it'll break projects created after v1.3

• IMO best practices should be followed and not worked around for one host that doesn't play by the rules. (Easy for me to say since I don't depend on BM3 and Synthmaster One together, so please feel free to ignore me. :D )

• If and when it works well with other hosts I consider BM3 to be ‘broken’ and hope to see it getting some love and care from the developer...

• @samu said:
    If and when it works well with other hosts I consider BM3 to be ‘broken’ and hope to see it getting some love and care from the developer...

If I understand correctly, you want Intua to change the working automation code because the one synth changed? Sorry, guys, it sounds scary.

Please let me to put my two cents in.

I can't agree with the "broken" word, it is not correct in my opinion. This is an another way for the AUv3 automation.
    BM3 has the last update in 2019, October.
    SM One was updated in 2020, January.
    After these January updates the Automation of SM One synth was broken in existing BM3 projects . It stopped work without warnings.
    Other synths still work well.
    How is Intua Anyone can predict turns like this one?

Try to imagine what can happen if the Intua will change the automation code someday "to the more modern way" without notice? Without any warning for existing customers and devs? We will get bunch of synthesizers with broken automation on the tracks.

We should know Before update if some developer wants to change something radically.

If to be honest, I bought synths not for gaining someone's sales, or someone's youtube views, but for making music. I spent all my free time on this.

I am not against changes. Let's try to avoid sharp turns.
    I am sure Intua someday will find the appropriate best way for connecting apps like this one too!

Peace! :relieved:

• edited February 2020

@roman_che said:

@samu said:
    If and when it works well with other hosts I consider BM3 to be ‘broken’ and hope to see it getting some love and care from the developer...

If I understand correctly, you want Intua to change the working automation code because the one synth changed? Sorry, guys, it sounds scary.

Please let me to put my two cents in.

I can't agree with the "broken" word, it is not correct in my opinion. This is an another way for the AUv3 automation.
    BM3 has the last update in 2019, October.
    SM One was updated in 2020, January.
    After these January updates the Automation of SM One synth was broken in existing BM3 projects . It stopped work without warnings.
    Other synths still work well.
    How is Intua Anyone can predict turns like this one?

Try to imagine what can happen if the Intua will change the automation code someday "to the more modern way" without notice? Without any warning for existing customers and devs? We will get bunch of synthesizers with broken automation on the tracks.

We should know Before update if some developer wants to change something radically.

If to be honest, I bought synths not for gaining someone's sales, or someone's youtube views, but for making music. I spent all my free time on this.

I am not against changes. Let's try to avoid sharp turns.
    I am sure Intua someday will find the appropriate best way for connecting apps like this one too!

Peace! :relieved:

If indeed BM3 is doing it "wrong", then there's nothing to say that other apps won't break in it in the future. Better to push Intua to do it "right" if that's the case. What's wrong with that?

Of course, I don't know that BM3 is doing it "wrong", I've only read the opinion of one developer on that point.

(BTW, the SynthMaster One developer has already said that they'll implement a workaround for BM3. So it's no longer a matter of one or the other fix, but of hopefully both.)

• Looks like all is well now in the latest and greatest Synthmaster One update. :)

• I'm so pleased you spotted that bug @Audiogus

...and that @kv331audio_bulent was prepared to fix it for all us BM3 SM One lovers (of which there are a great many, amiright?)

• Interesting. I write software for a living, so I can appreciate the whole "bit rot" problem. "If only you had memorized all 3000 pages of the developer's guide, and honored its every diktat, this wouldn't have been a problem when he changed this and she changed that..."

Doo-doo occurs. Good luck to all keeping this sorted out.

• And Synthmaster One is a great AU :-)

• @kv331audio_bulent many thanks fro your work and bug fixes! The new 12'9 UI is awesome! The one new feature I love - the menu list for UI panels. I can view now all modulation matrix in one page!

Thanks again!