Fake Vel Sens for live jamming

I try to produce completely in the box (my box is the ipad😝)...so im trying not to use any peripherals...and to get some organic feel on a touchscreen...this little trick helps...manly for drums...

Comments

• Good finger drumming technic!
    How did you do this?

You probably already know this, but the pads can be velocity sensitive on the Y axis.

• Cool. Speaking of velocity is anybody familiar with setting up pads/keys with multiple samples for the same pad/note that play at different velocities in the MAPPING window?

• edited April 2020

@BitterGums said:
    Cool. Speaking of velocity is anybody familiar with setting up pads/keys with multiple samples for the same pad/note that play at different velocities in the MAPPING window?

Yep - I've done quite a bit of it. What do you need?

This video from @DeanDaughters (Electronisounds) does a great job of demonstrating the mapping feature. Unfortunately he doesn't do any velocity mapping in this video, but the principle is essentially the same as pitch mapping - except velocity mapping works vertically.

Click here to jump to 14:38 - which is where the mapping happens.

• edited April 2020

@Sequencer1 said:
    Good finger drumming technic!
    How did you do this?

You probably already know this, but the pads can be velocity sensitive on the Y axis.

Hey man...thanks!checkout EXPRESSPADS.COM...it makes so much sens once u saw it 😝 yeah,the vel on the pads is cool but for drumming in the heat quite useless...(sry intua 😅)

• An other example

• Quality production!
    Check out the Audiobus forum.

• @tk32 said:

@BitterGums said:
    Cool. Speaking of velocity is anybody familiar with setting up pads/keys with multiple samples for the same pad/note that play at different velocities in the MAPPING window?

Yep - I've done quite a bit of it. What do you need?

thanks @tk32 ! Im familiar with the mapping in BM3 ..Ive used it to make some cool instruments etc. game changer when I figured that out. BM3 became a tool on a whole new level. And Ive seen that video of Dean’s. loads of good stuff.

But I was having a look at the Big Bertha Electric Bass in BM3 and noticed that for each note it had 4 samples, all on the same layer. When I opened the mapping is when I saw the different levels of Velocity being used. But i couldnt find a way to create said velocities. Do you do but just changing the velocity range for each sample?
    Its a cool function ....almost a way to round robin the samples if I understand it right.

• edited April 2020

You can adjust the velocity range in the upper-right. Just drag 'LOW VEL' or 'HIGH VEL' up or down.
    It has to be done for each sample.

Where did you find my gal Big Bertha? Couldn't find her in either of the Starter Packs or Thud Rumble.

• Oh cool. Thanks. Huh, I had adjusted velocity before but not for more than one sample on a note. Didn't even know it was an option. And yeah, I would want to put them on their own layer too ..that's why it stuck out on the Bertha Bass.
    Haahh, sorry i guess it's just called Bertha Electric Bass and it's available as it's own instrument in the sound store.

• Cool thanks!

For that random, not quite round-robin effect, Victor Porof Midi Tools suite has a plugin called 'Midi Curve' that'll send random velocities. Very cool, once you set it up, with several velocity-switched samples.

• edited April 2020

Thanks for providing such a great answer @Sequencer1

• +1 for organising samples into layers (and also using this layer panel to select the active layer rather than trying to tap overlapping blue rectangles!)

• +1 for Audioveek's MIDI tools as a way to generate random velocities (just remember to also go into your modulation tab and disable the link between velocity and sample volume).

• thanks for reminding me of Midi Curve! @Sequencer1

& thanks for the velocity/sample volume tip @tk32 . btw whatever happened to Audioveek? i remember when he was working on this app..

• edited April 2020

I heard a rumour that @blueveek (Audioveek) was headhunted by the federal intelligence service and is working on classified projects (Angela Merkel was a big fan of Atom). 🤔

I hope he'll drop by to say hi again one day 👋

• edited April 2020

hahaaa. Merkel forcing him to create the Atom Smasher in pursuit of global domination. cut to: a foxhole in the desert 3/4 of a mile from the explosion, Merkel pears down from lead glasses, turns to AudioVeek '...my god, what have we done?' cut to: AudioVeek cuffed, donning a bullet proof vest exiting a paddy wagon amid a barrage of press mics.