MUFFLED AND LOW AUDIO VOLUME

Hi, all.

I am experiencing audio problems with BM3.

Sometimes, while I am making a beat I turn up the volume pressing the iPad volume buttons then all of a sudden the audio in BM3 sounds muffled, no bass and at a low volume. The only way for me to fix the audio is to open up Audiocopy and to play a wav file that is stored inside of Audiocopy. After I play it for a few seconds, I go back into BM3 and the audio is back to normal.

Has anybody experienced this before?

New here and new to BM3. Please help.

Comments

• edited April 2020

I've experienced this. I believe it's hearing and/or component protection that is built-into the iPad (?)
    Check the mixer - if the levels are constantly in the red, then that's no good. Especially the master/main bus. Load a limiter like Amazing Noises Limiter on the master/main bus. The BM3 limiter won't work in this case.
    What model of iPad and in what country did you buy it?

• edited April 2020

The levels never peak. I keep each track level low. I have an iPad Pro 3rd gen. Bought it the states. Thank you for your response. @Sequencer1

• Haven't experienced this myself but have seen others report similar problems with the volume buttons during sessions. It’s not a BM3 thing, its an iPad Pro thing. Are you seeing the iOS volume level indicator pop up and change when you change the volume buttons?

• @BitterGums said:
    Haven't experienced this myself but have seen others report similar problems with the volume buttons during sessions. It’s not a BM3 thing, its an iPad Pro thing. Are you seeing the iOS volume level indicator pop up and change when you change the volume buttons?

Yes I see the volume level. Every time the audio is glitched, I notice that the volume meter slightly recedes when I try to turn the volume to its max. So is this happening with all iPad Pros? I’ve never had this happen ever until I bought BM3, iMPC Pro2, etc etc. Which was a week ago.

• Several 2018 iPad Pro owners have reported that BM3 volume overrides iPad volume. Plus sample rate issues.
    I haven't heard about your issue with muffled and low volume though.

• edited April 2020

+1 what @Sequencer1 said. and yeah the muffled audio is a new one but it could be related to sample rate playback. What sample rate are you normally running at? Have you updated iOS recently ?

Here's an earlier discussion:

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/44172#Comment_44172

• Sample rate is 48000hz. I’m new to BM3 so I haven’t updated the iOS since I’ve downloaded BM3. Thanks for the link.

Thank you @BitterGums @Sequencer1

• A couple more random thoughts and things for you to try:

• try changing BM3's samplerate to 44.1k and see if the problem goes away.
    • are you using a bluetooth headset? try wired.
    • are you using an external audio interface? which one?
    • Are you switching between apps that are trying to play audio at different samplerates? (eg constantly switching between 48k and 44.1k)
    • do you have any IAA or background apps that may be interfering with the iPad's out put settings
    • Have you tried a full restart of the ipad, and loaded bm3 before anything else?
    • What iPad model are you usng?
    • What iOS version are you on?
  • try changing BM3's samplerate to 44.1k and see if the problem goes away.
    For some reason, BM3 will not change the sample rate. It is leaving it at 48k

are you using a bluetooth headset? try wired.
    When the Audio problem occurs, I am not using Bluetooth.

are you using an external audio interface? which one?
    No interface is connected when problem occurs.

Are you switching between apps that are trying to play audio at different samplerates? (eg constantly switching between 48k and 44.1k)
    No app switching.

do you have any IAA or background apps that may be interfering with the iPad's out put settings
    Negative.

Have you tried a full restart of the ipad, and loaded bm3 before anything else?
    Yes I’ve tried this.

What iPad model are you usng? IPad Pro 3rd gen.

What iOS version are you on? IOS 13.4

@tk32 Thank you.

• Your iPad is locked at 48kHz when using the built-in audio.
    Are you using the official Apple USB-C to 3.mm adapter?
    If not, which make and model?
    Any hubs or other external peripherals connected to your iPad?
    Are you using many samples at different sample rates in a Session? (This was a problem on the 11" I had).
    How long are your samples? Drum 1-Shots, long 5 minute stems?

• @Sequencer1 said:
    Your iPad is locked at 48kHz when using the built-in audio.

It’s weird. After I sent that message, I used BM3 again and I seen that it was on 41.

Are you using the official [Apple USB-C to 3.mm adapter] (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter)? Negative. I’m using internal ipad speakers. No need for usbc to 35

If not, which make and model?
    Any hubs or other external peripherals connected to your iPad? I am using the usbc camera connector to use my mpd n lpk with BEATMAKER. (Apple brand)

Are you using many samples at different sample rates in a Session? (This was a problem on the 11" I had). I haven’t checked the sample rates for the samples I used.

How long are your samples? Drum 1-Shots, long 5 minute stems? I sample 2 bar drum loops, then chop them to use as one shot hits.

• The samples are at 44k. I’m on BM3 now and I am having the same problem. Sample Rate locked on 48k. Right from the start of turning on BM3, the audio is muffled.

• Thanks.

Make sure to only use 48kHz right now, as that’s the only sample rate that your iPad can use in your case. (iPad Speakers).

What app were you using immediately before you opened BM3?

Are any apps open at the same time as BM3?

Which model of the LPK? Bluetooth or USB?

How are both the Akai MPD and LPK connected to the Apple adapter? Hub?

I’d say at this point, you may want to get an external audio interface, and a good powered USB-C hub.

But in the meantime, disconnect all external peripherals, force-close all apps, perform a memory reset, and reboot your iPad. Don’t connect anything. Turn on iPad, open BM3. Check for low/muffled sound.

• @Sequencer1

Make sure to only use 48kHz right now, as that’s the only sample rate that your iPad can use in your case. (iPad Speakers).
    Ok. That is the only option at the moment.

Not immediately but I was using Hulu and Spotify before BM3.

Spotify, Hulu, Safari, YouTube, Audiocopy

Which model of the LPK? Bluetooth or USB?
    USB

How are both the Akai MPD and LPK connected to the Apple adapter? Hub?
    Yes. I connect them via USB hub connected to the Apple adapter. But these items were bought after the audio problem. I wish I can remember when I first noticed the problem.

What interface do you recommend? One that is small and portable. I just recently purchased a Behringer UFO202 to sample into BM3. Thinking about exchanging it because the audio sounds too lofi to me.

Thanks @Sequencer1

• I never had this muffled problem when I was using the iMPC Pro for a short period I used it. Come to think of it, I first noticed the muffled audio in BM3 after I screen recorded Spotify and extracted the audio into an mp3 then imported it into BM3. Could this be the problem?

• @BeeteMaker said:

Possibly a sample rate conversion 'fight' between all those apps that are running?

For me, BM3 crashes a lot after watching YouTube. So I try to only run BM3 by itself. AUM + BM3 is fine too. But I use a 2017 iPad Pro, not the 2018.

What interface do you recommend? One that is small and portable. I just recently purchased a Behringer UFO202 to sample into BM3. Thinking about exchanging it because the audio sounds too lofi to me.

I've used the iConnectAudio4+ and Presonus iTwo in the past, but don't know if they still work with the recent iPadOS updates. The MOTU M4 and M2 or Arturia AudioFuse seem like the best bet. The IK Multimedia and Focusrites seen to be hit-or-miss? May want to check the Audiobus forum.

• @Sequencer1 said:

@BeeteMaker said:

Possibly a sample rate conversion 'fight' between all those apps that are running?

For me, BM3 crashes a lot after watching YouTube. So I try to only run BM3 by itself. AUM + BM3 is fine too. But I use a 2017 iPad Pro, not the 2018.

I've used the iConnectAudio4+ and Presonus iTwo in the past, but don't know if they still work with the recent iPadOS updates. The MOTU M4 and M2 or Arturia AudioFuse seem like the best bet. The IK Multimedia and Focusrites seen to be hit-or-miss? May want to check the Audiobus forum.

Thank you @Sequencer1. Speaking of Audiobus, do I need audiobus to sync moog model D to BM3?

• No. Load Model D as an AUv3 plugin directly inside of BM3. MUCH better.

In fact, avoid using IAA as that 'old' tech is getting phased out by Apple. AUv3 is the now and the future. Only a handful of IAAs are reliable in BM3. Not worth the headache.

• @Sequencer1 said:
    No. Load Model D as an AUv3 plugin directly inside of BM3. MUCH better.

In fact, avoid using IAA as that 'old' tech is getting phased out by Apple. AUv3 is the now and the future. Only a handful of IAAs are reliable in BM3. Not worth the headache.

My iPad is definitely bugging out. The reason I asked about model d and audiobus is because BM3 wasn’t producing any sounds from model d last night. I just tried opening model d as an au and it worked perfectly fine. Thanks again.

• Update: I fixed the audio problem by deleting the audioshare, audiocopy and BM3 apps. I reinstalled BM3 and the audio is working fine. I will reinstall both audioshare and audiocopy one at a time to see if any changes in the audio occur. Thanks for the help and input everyone!

• Glad you found a fix. :+1:

Hopefully the issue doesn’t return - i know the 2018 ipad pros can be a little tricky with audio bitrates.

• Lets hear some beetes!

• awesome. good to hear!!