How do I record midi from Drambo?

Hi, I’d like to take some sketches from Drambo, and record them as midi into BeatMaker 3. Then use Drambo on individual tracks as a DAW project. Any help?
Ps I have Midi Tools but can’t seem to work out the process.
Thank you.

Comments

• edited June 2020

Note - I haven't personally tested that Drambo outputs midi data via AUv3, but I would assume it does.

You need to load Midi route as a midi effect on the same pad that Drambo is loaded on. Then configure the output of midi route to loop back into Beatmaker3 on a channel of your choosing.

The best advice is to record the midi coming out of Drambo on a separate bank, as this avoids the potential for a midi feedback loop.

My advice is to watch this video showing the MIDI ROUTE setup for recording the midi from Rozeta Bassline, as it is practically the same thing:

• I'm not sure you can do it @jameslondon74. For that method to work I think you have to be able to add Drambo using the MIDI FX slot. Drambo doesn't appear in that list.

I think you'd be much better off using the standalone to output the midi to BM3. Or host the AU in AUM and send the midi out to BM3. This definitely works.

• I tried tk32's method. But it didn't work. I'm going to try the AUM method.

• Thanks @number37

Note to self - don’t post advice before testing it first :)

• @number37 said:
    I'm not sure you can do it @jameslondon74. For that method to work I think you have to be able to add Drambo using the MIDI FX slot. Drambo doesn't appear in that list.

I think you'd be much better off using the standalone to output the midi to BM3. Or host the AU in AUM and send the midi out to BM3. This definitely works.

Sorry to sound dumb, I just tried this and got a bit lost. (I'm fairly new to all this)

Can you please explain this to me like I'm 5? E.g. how would I sync AUM to BM3 so that BM3 records the midi loops in the right place on the timeline, in time with the clock?

So I have one track in Drambo, and I need to use AUM with BM3 to record the midi from Drambo into BM3 with the right tempo/etc. How is that done?
    Thanks so much! I'm sure it's way simpler than it seems.

• edited June 2020

AUM and BM3 both support Link and Link Start/Stop. So, syncing recording and tempo is no issue. Getting it to record at the right place in the timeline is another matter. That is probably not going to happen.

It's probably best to just capture the midi you want into different patterns, or even easier to just record everything into one big long pattern. Then go back and edit the patterns, split them up, move them around the timeline, etc.

one thing at a time ... get set up so that you can record the Midi into BM3. Then figure out what you need to do to arrange it properly on the timeline.

• Ugh. This is more annoying than I thought it would be. I can get midi from Drambo in AUM to Drambo in BM3 and record, but I can only seem to get it working for channel 1.

Sorry, I don't think I have the patience to work through this. BM3 isn't my strength.

• That’s ok. Thanks for your efforts. Really appreciate it.
    What’s the routing you use? Inter app audio?
    So I have AUM open with Drambo.
    And BeatMaker 3 open with Drambo.
    How do I connect the two together?

One track will be fine because I can this one track at a time and as you say, arrange it later.
    Cheers

• I’m actually beginning to think that if I’m using Drambo to create a song that I want to eventually arrange in BM3, I should host Drambo in BM3 from the very start and run a separate Drambo instance on different BM3 tracks, rather than doing the whole thing in Drambo. Essentially use BM3 to control the Drambo project. But I’m trying to get my head around what this means. For instance, I won’t be able to use the step sequencer/p-lock functions, if I use midi from BM3 to control Drambo. But then, if I use p-lock in Drambo, that won’t be transferable in midi to BM3.
    They will need to be kept apart, but that’s ok. Because I am eventually going to have audio tracks.
    (Sorry for the ramble, trying to get my head around this so I’m thinking out loud!)

• I would just do everything in Drambo instances loaded into pads, then capture to audio tracks and arrange those. Everything else is just too convoluted.

• Agreed. I will use BM3 as my host and work everything else out. I could probably use midi where appropriate.

• Actually works really well. I found I could use P-Lock functions in Drambo while it is being played in Beatmaker 3. It's a bit odd to use a groove box within a DAW. But that's the beauty of Drambo - it's many things, depending on what you need it to be.

• Great news. thanks for the update :)