Why can’t I shorten an audio clip from the left side?

Am I missing something? I can’t seem to slide-trim an audio clip from the left. It always moves the clip instead. I can slide-trim the right hand side, but not the left,
How do I edit the start point of the audio clip so that it starts later in the sample?
Eg, the audio clip is 16 bars, but I want it to start on the 4th bar of itself. (Trimming off bars 1-4).
Is cutting the only way?

Comments

• Short answer - yes - cutting is the only way

But you can also do non-destructive slicing to the audio file in the song lane using the scissors tool, which will allow you to carve up long audio files into smaller segments without the need to create a multitude of new trimmed WAV files in your project folder.

• edited June 2020

@jameslondon74 said:
    Am I missing something? I can’t seem to slide-trim an audio clip from the left. It always moves the clip instead. I can slide-trim the right hand side, but not the left,
    How do I edit the start point of the audio clip so that it starts later in the sample?
    Eg, the audio clip is 16 bars, but I want it to start on the 4th bar of itself. (Trimming off bars 1-4).
    Is cutting the only way?

This is one of “those things.”

Something you can do though is if you slice at the wrong point, undo and redo as needed and...if you need to recover the data you removed you can hunt it down in the Pattern Helper which you find by touching the upper left corner of the interface.