Plugins

Hi I new to this beatmaker 3 I bought digital D1 and model d which is Moog I think now when using these as plugins with beatmaker 3 I get the plugins crashing on me as well as crackling I am told by app store my iPad mini 3 is compatible but still they crash n crackle but the funny thing is I also got poison 202 which works fine all time as a plug in so I thinking am I being fed wrong info by app store cos I tryed raising the buffer bar also but still no joy n still get cracking n crashing some times worse than other times some body plz help with some info plz thank u

Tagged:

Comments

• Okay, let's take a deep breath first.

First, Poison-202 is easy-on-the CPU. Moog Model D and D1 are not. D1 has some other issues which results in crashes.

You have an iPad Mini 3, which has an A7 and 1GB RAM. Your iPad isn't powerful-enough for Model D and D1 when run as AUv3 plugins. If you run them standalone, which means by themselves with no other apps open, your iPad should be able to handle one or the other. That's what the App Store description is referring to.

Your only option, as you've already discovered, is to raise the AU hosts buffer as high as it can go, and only run 1 AU instance. You likely won't be able to run both D1 and Model D as AUv3s, even with the buffer at 1024, at least without the occasionally crackle.

Try light-CPU AUv3s, like the ones by Bram Bos, iceWorks, Erik Sigth, KQ Tech, etc.
    Or better yet, use samples.

• Thanks for giving such a great answer @Sequencer1

I agree with everything you say.

• Regarding the suggestion to use samples... Is a good way to do this to load up the au, then sample from within Beatmaker? Then delete the au in question? Then start the project with that sample.

Is there a better way?

• edited October 2020

@tk32 👍

@kinkujin You got it!

There are several useful tutorials here:
    How-to-control-an-Audio-Units-plugin-or-external-application
    How-to-record-audio-from-a-plugin-or-app-into-BeatMaker

Here's the link to BeatMaker Support with more guides.

It's easiest to start by sampling, say C2. The sample is automatically stretched from C -2 to C 6. But soon you'll discover that playing an octave below of above C2 sounds poor. That where multi-sampling comes in.

For creating multi-sampled melodic instruments, first sample C at each octave, then map each sample to the appropriate key zone. For more realism, sample more keys. Later you can even use multiple Layers with velocity-switching or different modulation settings.

Good examples of multi-sampled instruments are included for free in BM3. Load one, and take a look at the different tabs in the Sampler page of BM3. The 'MAPPING' tab is important, and moreso the 'SAMPLES' tab in the bottom-left.

• Excellent! @Sequencer1 ... appreciate those links.