Recording Vocals

edited February 2011 in Support
Is there a way to lock the recording to record for a certain amount of time?
For example I would like to record vocals for a part in the track, but I try to time hitting the record button at the right time, but there seems to be a slight delay. So the vocal timing is thrown off. I am using the record inside a I-DRM. I also tried recording from the sample lab, but had the same issue.

I would like to have some way to punch in and out, or have set markers for the recording to begin and end.

Thanks,

-distraub

Comments

• i laid down a guitar part over a track using irig yesterday, and it worked fine... i would just put the sequencer to loop the part you want the vocals on, hit the play button, go and start recording, and wait for the loop to come back around. then go in and edit the recording so that it starts on what would be the first beat of the loop. sounds annoying, but its actually super easy.
  • edited 6:35PM
    i laid down a guitar part over a track using irig yesterday, and it worked fine... i would just put the sequencer to loop the part you want the vocals on, hit the play button, go and start recording, and wait for the loop to come back around. then go in and edit the recording so that it starts on what would be the first beat of the loop. sounds annoying, but its actually super easy.

I did the same thing this morning. That's how I used to do it in Beatmaker 1, too. Works just dandy.
    Please be more explicit, because I don't any option for recording any live audio. Let's say I have (2) drum tracks and (1) sampler track, What now?

Thanks for any advice.
    Sorry;

Open up a new drum pad instrument, then select an empty pad. On the left, click the icon that resembles a sound wave and hit "record". After you're satisfied with what you recorded, save the audio, and it should automagically be assigned to the pad. Then right where you hit "record" before, hit "edit" and trim it down by dragging and selecting. Don't forget you can pinch and zoom to be more precise. Save that, and voila! You have legit-ness.
    Oh, OK. I knew that much, but I inferred from your initial post that you could lay down a vocal while listening to other tracks. I guess not.
    Well, you can listen while recording in BM2. Then you just save it to a pad and trigger it appropriately. You could even use the Chop Lab and chop up the vocal track so that you don't have to start from the beginning of the trigger.
  • Well, you can listen while recording in BM2. Then you just save it to a pad and trigger it appropriately. You could even use the Chop Lab and chop up the vocal track so that you don't have to start from the beginning of the trigger.

right. the trick is that you have to start the sequence playing before you go into the record mode for a pad, b/c once you're there, you can't access transport controls. thats why i suggested setting a loop point and waiting for it to come around.
    Sorry to revive this thread, but I have a quick question that is related to this topic.

I bought BeatMaker a couple months after the original came out, but was never really able to use it the way I wanted to because there was no way to hear what was going on in the track when I was recording. Even the metronome would not cut out, so there was no way to keep things in time, hit cues, etc.

I am wondering if this has been resolved in the new version?
    Can you create a drum beat, and other back tracks, and then WHILE LISTENING back to your back track on headphones, create an audio recording? I don't mind if the recording is delayed and has to be edited within the app, just so long as I can keep it in time with everything else that is going on in the sound bed underneath.

If anyone can confirm this it would be appreciated, as it didn't seem to mention it specifically in the manual. All I could find was mention of the Audio Record Panel on page 12.

Thanks for your help.
    Hi legsmechanical,

When you record a track with irig, what do you ear in the headphone ?
    The loop + your vocals or just the loop ?
    Sorry to revive this thread, but I have a quick question that is related to this topic.

I bought BeatMaker a couple months after the original came out, but was never really able to use it the way I wanted to because there was no way to hear what was going on in the track when I was recording. Even the metronome would not cut out, so there was no way to keep things in time, hit cues, etc.

I am wondering if this has been resolved in the new version?
    Can you create a drum beat, and other back tracks, and then WHILE LISTENING back to your back track on headphones, create an audio recording? I don't mind if the recording is delayed and has to be edited within the app, just so long as I can keep it in time with everything else that is going on in the sound bed underneath.

If anyone can confirm this it would be appreciated, as it didn't seem to mention it specifically in the manual. All I could find was mention of the Audio Record Panel on page 12.

Thanks for your help.

yes! you can! i just tried i. works like a charm. ^_^

just play the song, then go to the pad yo want, the wave editor. then record. the music doesn't stop.

also... you can now save your songs while the song is still playing. ^_^

BM2 is so great. dances circles around the first on an all other music production apps i have usedbought or my ipad.

i can't wait for the ipad version. ^_^