WANTED: Pattern Copy/Paste

edited February 2011 in Support
Is this becoming an issue for anyone else?? There needs to be a way to copy a pattern (or group of patterns) without disturbing what comes immediately after the copied section. Both the ‘Repeat Pattern’ and ‘Copy Pattern’ buttons overwrite the next section to the right.

So, what I end up doing is moving the section I want to copy to the end of the song, make a copy using ‘Repeat Pattern’, move the original section back, then move the copied section where I need it. This could be much easier if I could copy a pattern or section (to a clipboard), and then paste it where I want it.

If I am missing something and there is an easier way, please tell me.

Comments

• edited 9:38AM
    I complained about this too.. but at this point it's the only way of doing things.. It copies to the next available or unavailable space.. But you don't have to worry about the pattern under the copied one.. When you move the highlighted copied one, the one in the bottom will still be there untouched..
  • Oh, I didn't realize that you could stack patterns that way. Well that saves me a couple steps.

The next problem is how to toggle between stacked patterns because once I deselect the stacked pattern, the move command will only move the lower (original) pattern of the two.
    I'd like to have the sequencer work like the one in Beatmaker1 where I could just tap the select pattern onto where I want instead of using those controls, they get kind of annoying.
    I'd like to have the sequencer work like the one in Beatmaker1 where I could just tap the select pattern onto where I want instead of using those controls, they get kind of annoying.

I think they feel annoying cus they need to calibrate the touch zones of the buttons a little better... That's how it feels anyways..
    Probably the most elegant way to do this would be to have a new track automatically open up under the current one if there is a copy conflict, and put the new pattern there. It's stacking them anyway, at least this would make the operation visible, and all copies selectable as well.
    BTW I've noticed that sometimes when I create a new track, and then duplicate a pattern into it (rather than recording a new pattern there) it doesn't necessarily make a new track in the mixer. Anyone else run into this?
  • The mixer only gives you one channel per instrument; so if you add multiple tracks per instrument they all go into the same channel. You can get around this by duplicating the instrument (so it has it's own channel in the mixer). But it does seem like an odd choice not to give each new track a channel in the mixer.