BeatMaker 2/3 ideas

Hey everyone,

I just downloaded BeatMaker 2 and it's the closest App to a full DAW on the Appstore.
It's great, I love the keyboard sampler. I make sounds in other Apps (such as Caustic) and bounce them to BeatMaker 2 using AudioShare, so I can play with it in the keyboard sampler.
I like that there is a parametric EQ and I like being able to use InterApp Audio and Virtual MIDI to control other Apps.

The only downside is that I couldn't find out how to export my tracks in 24-bit, only 16-bit.. which is okay, but in this day and age, 24-bit uncompressed, 48000 Hz WAVE is the way to go for proffesional music.

So here's my list for BeatMaker 3 suggestions:

-24-bit export

-48KHz export

-SF2/SFZ support, (While you're at it, maybe even Akai, E-MU, Kurzweil or Roland format support ;-) )

-Audiobus/InterApp effects (being able to use effects from other apps, so I don't have to load up another app and bounce it to BeatMaker)

-Mabye adding built-in synthesizers (polyphonic, monophonic, FM, subtractive, additive, modular), but that's easily done using the virtual MIDI and InterApp/AudioBus.

-Maybe a namechange.. The name kept me from checking this app out, I thought it was just some kind of simple app that didn't really go beyond beatmaking with some very basic effects.
The name "BeatMaker" will throw-off people who aren't into beat-oriented genres, while BeatMaker 2 is perfect for any genre.

-Making the App come with nothing, so there's no wasted storage for people who don't need the built-in sounds, but giving the option to download the factory sounds for free.

-Having a filebrowser that you can easily open by swiping the left or right side of the screen, so you can drag and drop stuff onto drummachines, audio tracks or keyboard samplers.

-Being able to freeze your tracks to save processing power.

-Being able to group tracks in the sequencer window and by making a group, BeatMaker automatically creates another output to add effects on.

-Adding a spectrum analyzer, or visual EQing (it's not extremely important, but it makes EQing much easier)

-Speaking about effects. 3 Insert effects is enough for a lot of people, and if you want to use more effects, you can always bounce your sound out and create a new track to add more effects.. but it's always nice to have the option to use more than 3 insert effects. Especially when designing a sound that you later export for use in tracks, it's easier to not have to export that sound over and over again.

These are my suggestions for now. I'd really love to have a full DAW experience on-the-go, now that tablets are getting more and more powerful.

-Lorenzo

Comments

• akai, EMU, Kurzweil, and Roland support would all be independent licensing deals and would drive the cost of bm3 up quite a bit, especially since AKAI is a direct competitor with Intua in this field.

You can use quick load to pull samples directly into bm2 devices...

If you want a full DAW experience with external saving to sandisk on you i device consider AURIA and then simply pull bm2 up in Auria. BUT you have to pull up bm2 first.
  • Oh and don't forget you can add busses for more effects and you can bus independent pads to these busses...which is really awesome
  • I'd like a 'scenes' type mode similar to Geist and other drum samplers or more of a pattern mode. Be great for jamming out live with BM.
  • I'd like a 'scenes' type mode similar to Geist and other drum samplers or more of a pattern mode. Be great for jamming out live with BM.

I like this idea.
  • I have never used Geist, but it sounds like a cool idea