What is the proper way to create sample instruments in BM2?

edited December 2015 in Support
Hello,

I was wondering what the proper way to make sample instruments in the keyboard sampler. I have some chord sounds from several instruments but not sure the key and Thani have others I do know the key but not sure the process. Do I just put the key as root note?

After that, what is it recommended that I set the range too and how do I determine that? As well as a proper sustain point.

Thank you!

Comments

• Ok this is a very wide open question.
    The key range and the number of samples and layers you use will determine the accuracy of the tuning as well as the depth of the instrument complexity...in many cases.

I always try to think before I create a patch...what range makes the instrument that I am building sound good...where is it insignificant...then I cut the insignificant ranges out to save space. Kinda like an acoustic guitar sounds best in middle frequencies.

If you need to find the key use a tuner like in for instance jam up? This is also a nice way to tune samples by cents to deliver accuracy as well.

If you make an instrument and you are using acoustic samples, and you want more realistic pitch...you may consider every 3rd note being a new sample....with synth sounds not as important...

Layers are mostly used in the example of acoustic guitar as when I hit a key hard it triggers two layers one with a hard pluck sound and the other with actual note data? This is an example and can be used any way anyone prefers.

The root note should be the exact pitch of the key you select, for instance c3 is middle c.

Sustain points are per instrument...but a bigger issue is always finding great sample loop points instead.

Have fun, there are no set rules...experimentation is always key.

Hope this helps
  • Also the hardest part of creating instruments, is actually the mic placements, the noise ceiling, the perfect gain stage, CONSISTANT sampling procedure, and patience. Then comes editing, organization and file naming, and considerable thought into how users are to enjoy your instrument. The more complicated the easier it is to get lost in parameters and the more space it's gonna consume.
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks a lot for your advice MicGee$ I appreciate it and luckily I didn't have to record the sounds but got them from various sound packs. I couldn't imagine the work that goes into that aspect of things lol.