My first week with BM3 (thoughts)

edited July 2017 in General
I have spent a week with this new version.....thank goodness for you tube. I feel as though the overall idea of this version is great. I do however feel that the overall workflow could be improved. In BM2, many of the tasks such as keyboard layering and keygroup were just simpler and enhanced workflow. The whole thing for music making to me is workflow. What I was hoping for was an enhanced version of the same program that I had been using for years. Midi clock send/recieve is a must for me, as this program became my MPC alternative. The routing features are awesome in this new version. However a simple task such as copy pad.....took me three days to figure out. I am very unimpressed with the pattern functions. I couldn't figure out how to find new or copied patterns easily. The Song sequencer has become much less intuitive and harder to manage. This was my MAIN discrepancy besides midi clock. I also would like to have the ability to make a PACK such as the ones you can find in the browser and download from the store.
All that said, the Intua Team is great. They make a quality product and are responsive to the needs of their users. I have perused the forum since BM1 and have just now become active. I have become a beta tester for other apps, so now I understand the need for beta testing and being active in forums.

It's all about the workflow.

Comments

• Nice overview. What's funny for me though is that I could not stand BM2's workflow and while different, I find the BM3 workflow a lot easier to understand. Sure things are hidden in sub menus at times...overall it just feels more complete and thought out than BM2.

BM3 feels like it was designed with intent and purpose.

But maybe that's just me coming new to the workflow with no preconceived ideas.

Either way, BM3 is a huge leap for DAWS on iOS which have a Live type workflow.

Cheers.
  • I feel that. I'm definitely not an Ableton user. Perhaps that is why I have not grasped the sequencing easily. I do like the fact that you don't have to go to the add instrument/keyboard/drumpad any longer. It feels much more streamlined. I see how a lot of users say they want a scene record function. I kind of grasp that as that is a way to record live pattern playing.....which I was hoping was to be added to this version. I however am used to a Fl Studio type workflow. Maybe I came to this version with too many preconceived notions.
  • What's funny about DAWS is that they all work in different ways. There is no right way to do it...just like music.

As long as we can create beautiful things with our tools I am happy. <3 B)
  • Some things are obviously the right way and every developer copies them, and rightly so, reinventing the wheel at every given chance is nonsense.
    We should all be very thankful to Steinberg for a lot of things, not least of which the left to right arranger we use in pretty much every DAW.
  • @KudZu_Tang BM3 definitly requires more forum interaction/reading the manual than bm2 did. Some of that's down to some odd workflow stuff that's yet to be refined. But mostly it's down to how much depth and flexibility has been packed in to BM3. I don't mind a slightly steeper learning curve every now and again ;)