Simple chords inversions

gilgil
edited September 2017 in Feature Requests

Does anyone knows/found how to play chords inversions?

Playing let's say C Maj ( Triad Major ) we hear the fundamental position, C E G.
But what about the 2 inversions, E G C, G C E?
What I'd like to create is a simple sequence C Maj (C E G), F Maj (F A C), Ab Maj (Ab C Eb), with the note C at the top voice.
( C note is common to the 3 chords ).

We should have then;
C (E G C, 1st inversion),
F (F A C fund. pos),
Ab (Eb Ab C, 2nd inversion).
( By the way this is called voice leading ).
Can it be done or are we limited to fundamental positions only, and therefore no inversions nor voice leading harmonic sequences possible?

Comments

• I think this is probably an FR

• edited September 2017
    If only it were possible to toggle 'chord notes record to midi pattern' then we could go into the step editor and re-voice the chords nicely, as you suggest.

As I've said elsewhere, I understand why some will prefer the way it currently works in BM3, where chords are built on-the-fly based on the root midi note, but when building more complex chord progressions (as I am able to do in Gadget) it's really important that all the notes of the chord are captured in the midi pattern, so that we can then re-arrange and re-voice them manually in the piano roll editor... or overdub with a different chord mode enabled (such as dom7)

I'd love for this to become a FR, and all we really need is a global preference like so:

Record chord notes to midi pattern: YES / NO
  • @tk32 said:
    If only it were possible to toggle 'chord notes record to midi pattern' then we could go into the step editor and re-voice the chords nicely, as you suggest.

As I've said elsewhere, I understand why some will prefer the way it currently works in BM3, where chords are built on-the-fly based on the root midi note, but when building more complex chord progressions (as I am able to do in Gadget) it's really important that all the notes of the chord are captured in the midi pattern, so that we can then re-arrange and re-voice them manually in the piano roll editor... or overdub with a different chord mode enabled (such as dom7)

I'd love for this to become a FR, and all we really need is a global preference like so:

Record chord notes to midi pattern: YES / NO

There are apparently some inconsistencies ( or arbitrary choices ) in some of the chords at the moment. For example, the Maj7th9 plays the 9th as a 2nd ( all notes voiced inside the octave ), while the min7th9 plays min3rd, 5th, and 9th one octave higher . Why not remain in the same range and have only the 3rd changing?
    Sus 4 and sus 2 triads double the root at the higher octave, while other triads Maj, min.... don't.

It is a good thing to have separate intervals, so we can have their inversions ( min 2nd = Maj 7, min 3rd = Maj 6th.. and so on ) Then why not add, for each triad, their 2 inversions to the list, in order to make it a more complete palette. Hybrid chords ( tritone + triad ) could then be easily built this way.

Now, why not let the user simply create his chords/voicings on the keyboard ( in the key of C perhaps ) and save them in the list as a preset ( within a section "user" ? ) ?

However yes, it would be so useful to be able to record these chords in the midi patterns.