what does this mean?

edited September 2017 in General

i've just got another pad today, installed bm3 and i'm still as confused as when i didn't have one and was wondering...
what does this mean?!
'When a track is muted (or excluded from the solo group), no MIDI data will be sent on output'
mute's on and everything's still chugging along, receiving notes, albeit in a silent film type of way.
it's been nearly a week so i might of forgotten something

Comments

• ah, apps outside

• No problem, glad we could help

• edited September 2017

It would make no sense stopping MIDI for anything internal, you cant hear it anyway because its audio is muted, or am i missing some use case ?

• well, you could be. depends. i am. they're call fx tails and env releases of the apps are being hosted in bm3.

• So you dont want mute to be mute, you want it to be a MIDI all notes off ?

• edited September 2017

yeah, mute the midi.
    you know, when you're using your hardware sequencer like an electribe or pyramid or a daw like cubasis or reaper etc and you've got a midi track and you press the mute button? you must have pressed that button! you can press it hear your lovely patches slowly fade away.

• FYI @mathieugarcia asked for my opinion on this before it was implemented, here is a shortened version

Opinion
    MIDI mutes (MIDI all notes off) are needed when you have fx tails and such.

Audio mutes are needed for instant off and DJ Transorms.

Suggestion
    Have the mutes in pad mode act only as MIDI muts (MIDI all notes off)

Have the mutes on the mixer act only as audio mutes.

They decided for the sake of simplicity and ease of use to combine the two on both the pads and mixer, so the current way of working IS expected behaviour, so it will need to be a feature request for any other way of working.

Keep in mind that the mixer always has to mute audio because of audio tracks/sends/live inputs, so the current way of working is how most people would expect it to work and is less confusing than what i suggested, but you do lose internal MIDI mutes.

• ok, i understand. thanks for the clarification.
    while i'm not a very experienced with this, i have thought about it a bit. never sampled much but have thought about the mute in relation to how samples are used. if a person is playing live, one shots would some times need to be cut. this can be done quite simply by muting the audio, like in bm3. choke groups do the same thing tho, if i'm not mistaken- like i say, i'm not particularly au fait with samplers, so i could have that all wrong. muting audio doesn't work so well for things other than samples when playing live and moving through different progressions-intro/verse/chorus blah blah.
    i don't know. i've never finished a tune ever and probably never will! i just like recording a load of progressions with midi and mixing them up live on the pads :)
    i understand that people have their own ways of play.
    no worries

• edited September 2017

Mutes on a mixer are an audio operation and expected to work how they work now, but MIDI mutes are a common groovebox thing (the way you want them to work)
    You will need to do a feature request ;)

• yeah, it's my misinterpretation of what bm3's 4x4 screen stands for.

• I dont think so, i would feature request this if i were you, a lot of people will miss this at some point, the pad mute mode should have a MIDI/Audio switch.

Mixer mutes should remain just audio.

• I would combine this and the following feature request that I made:
    (https://intua.net/forums/discussion/5291/midi-mute-for-pad-pattern-and-notes-within-pattern#latest):
    "In addition to mute midi/audio on pads (Midi mute on pads = midi mute in pattern/pad lane view), midi mute in pattern/pianoroll view per note lane and per note. Implemented for example as you (@5pinlink) suggest with a midi mute button in pattern view which can be used in either of the three cases; pad lane, note lane and individual note mute." + The pad audio/midi mute switch.

• Compromise would be pattern mute? I could live with that, it's what Gadget has.
  • @5pinlink can you please add these midi/audio mute scenarios to the consolidated feature request list? cheers!

• edited September 2017

Just start a feature request in the correct forum, if i see it when i have time i will add it ;)

• @5pinlink: ok, actually my original post is in the FR section:

https://intua.net/forums/discussion/5291/midi-mute-for-pad-pattern-and-notes-within-pattern#latest

I was suggesting above that this and my thread's mute suggestions be combined into one big midi/audio mute feature request.

• Your original request is already in the feature request list for the record ;)