Upcoming 3.0.7 update notes

edited December 2017 in General
Hey everyone, 3.0.7 should be officially available in the next couple of days.

In the meantime, here are the update notes:

Overall improvements

• Song position readout, in the transport bar, can be switched between BAR:BEATS, MM:SS.MS and SMPTE, simply by pressing it.
  • Support of MIDI knob increment/decrement (“infinite” encoders), via MIDI RPN/NRPN. This also extend the range of MIDI CC’s to 32766.
  • The transport bar record button will now be red when recording.
  • Added an option, in the recording panel (press the ‘Q’ label on the transport bar), to disable minimal note length quantization.
  • It is now possible to show/hide the left global navigation bar while displaying the AUv3 keyboard screen. This gives access to effects and macros from that view.
  • It is now possible to tag packs & categories on a selection of files and directories, recursively from the Browser in files mode.

Sampler & Plugins

• Support of AUv3 MIDI plugins. Now, BeatMaker 3 will create virtual input MIDI devices for each AUv3 that supports MIDI out. This way, you can route MIDI messages to other plugins and the sampler. Suggestion of use:

• Load an AUv3 MIDI plugin on a pad (or more!)

• Create a new bank, load an instrument or plugin, preferably in KEYS mode.

• Enter the new bank MIDI Setup panel by long-pressing the bank above the pads or by pressing “•••” on the right of the bank name on the left screen.

• Connect the MIDI input port to the virtual AUv3 MIDI device that BM3 has created for the app.

• Added a ruler button on the full-screen sample editor to switch the time reference of the bottom grid between seconds, samples and bars/beats.

• When using the “Add to existing layer” sample load method, get the currently selected layer rather than the last one. The layer can be selected from the editor screen > SAMPLES tab, just below the small pads selector.

• Added move left/right and zoom in/out tools on the mapping editor toolbar.

• The “Stereo to Mono” sample process tool now offers the possibility to use only the left or right channel.

• When selecting a sample from the mapping editor, highlight it as well in the “SAMPLES” listing.

• When drag’n’dropping a sample that is added to an existing layer, auto-select it in the “SAMPLES” listing.

• Added tooltip next to sample markers when moving them, that will follow the current ruler unit (seconds, beats and samples).

• Improvements on the “Zero Snap” tool: adapt scan size to the currently visible range and find the closest zero-cross against all channels.

• Sample editor zoom in/out is now behaving more naturally.

• Sample editor move < and > buttons will now behave more naturally.

• Double-tapping the sample editor “START/END” or “LOOP” button will focus and recenter.

• In the full-screen sample editor, added a marquee above sample & loop start/end markers to make it more obvious the area can be dragged.

• Zoom in/out and |<, <, >, >| functions are now consistent on all three modes: select, slice and normal.

• “Grid Snap” can now be used in Slices mode in the sample/slice editor.

• Long press on [-] and [+] on the sample editor will resp. fully zoom out or in.

Sequencer

• Added a setting for the transport stop behavior: it can either go back to the start of the track, or on the latest position (by pressing the bar / position in SONG mode).

Bug fixes & engine improvements

• When drag’n’dropping a sample onto the mapping editor, follow the browser load method.

• Fixed a crash that would happen after loading an effect or modulator preset that has modulations or macro’s connected to it.

• Fixed an issue in the editor layers/samples list where selecting a sample in another layer would not properly show the “•••” button.

• Fixed a browser glitch where the pad loading toolbar would be displayed on top of the Dropbox toolbar.

• Fixed an issue where it was not possible to drag’n’drop a sample after C5 on the mapping editor.

• Fixed Modulation Delay effect that would still apply processing when depth was set to 0%.

• Fixed an issue where the IAA plugin selector list would still display “already loaded” after unloading the app.

• Fixed an issue where exporting sliced sample to Apple Loop will not preserve number of beats and tempo.

• Fixed an issue in the browser where sharing a file from a group would bogusly pick another file.

• Fixed an issue where the small sample editor would not refresh properly after loading a sample.

• Fixed an issue with creation of new sample editor file names that could affect note/octave numbering.

• Fixed an issue where some sample processing command wouldn’t do anything and would require moving markers beforehand.

• Multiple fixes and improvements on the Auto Pan effect: volume will remain constant when bypassing or activating the effect, and improved depth handling.

• Fixed a potential crash that could happen when dismissing a text entry.

• Fixed AUv3 client UI resize and refresh issues.

• Fixed the Auto-Scale feature that wouldn’t set the Fine Tune parameter properly.

• Fixed a crash that could happen when using samples with bogus sample start/end or loop start/end information.

• Fixed an issue with the validation of purchases on iOS 11.2.

• Fixed double tapping of a value in the parameter panel, that would reset it before showing the text input.

• Fixed an issue where the mixer would not show any level.

• Fixed an issue where audio recording wouldn’t start or record anything.

• Fixed a crash that would happen when exporting slices to a new bank.

• Fixed a browser issue (library and files mode) that would happen when dropping a file back onto the browser itself, creating an useless duplicate.

• Fixed an issue where the sample editor zoom level would reset after using bounds arrow |< and >|.

• Fixed a crash that would happen in the full-screen sample editor with no sample loaded.

• Fixed a crash that would happen when duplicating pads with AUv3 instruments loaded.

• Fixed a playback issue with samples with a 1 frame loop.

• Fixed jitter of waveform when zoomed in.

• Stability improvements.

• Minor visual improvements around the app.

Comments

• edited December 2017
    This is what I’m talking about. 

(Now let me read it) lol

___

King

Added: Many things in there that I’ve e been experiencing this week. Some of which I have jotted down in my notes to report. 
    (You may have saved me a heck of a lot of time).  Hehe

Before we know it BM3 will only have the minutest amount of bugs, and we’ll be moving along the new features updates. 

Looking forward to so many things. 

“Are we there yet? - Almost” ;)

Great stuff guys!

• :) been busy! 
  • This definitely cannot be the job of a small team. I thing @mathieugarcia and team cloned themselves. 
  • Intua listens and delivers. Pardon my language but damn this is a good update. 
  • I hate to be this guy but  I didn’t see anything about ‘dotted line note movement’ returning.  :(  Can’t they just function again?  It doesnt seem like it would interfere with anything.

anyway, looking forward to AU midi!
  • Audiogus said:
    I hate to be this guy but  I didn’t see anything about ‘dotted line note movement’ returning.  :(  Can’t they just function again?  It doesnt seem like it would interfere with anything.

anyway, looking forward to AU midi!

I hate to be the guy that agrees, but yes it cant be forgotten, zoomed out note movement is poor right now. Having said that, **** my *** with a big stick, the size of that list !!!!!!!
  • edited December 2017
    Huh...  it turns out that holding down on these horizontal arrows but moving your finger verticaly constrains the movement to the vertical axis (even when on the selection tool). 

• edited December 2017
    Actually this is working damn well for me.  Even when zoomed way out.   Whoot!  :)

I just think that maybe two more vertical triangle pointers should be added to the current horizontal ones for visual reinforcement (hope that makes sense) and that this part of the manual should be elaborated to described the current axis constrained feature.

(Doing a happy dance)
  • I don't see why the dotted line thing is that important. The handles are fine for me and I can't think of any other software that had/has this feature and it wasn't that helpful for me when we did have it.

Feel free to disagree with me.

On an unrelated matter. IOS 11.2 is way more stable than when we got it 3(?) versions ago. I think some of the previous crashes and bug reports may have been taken care of with IOS updates. 

I still get crashes when doing things like switching between banks when a loop is playing. Does it have to do with the fact that part of the song is playing on the timeline and some banks are playing in pattern mode and others aren't playing at all? Maybe, I don't know. But if there's a potential for a crash because the user doesn't know what they're doing, it's a design flaw and not a feature.

Still looking forward to the next update though.
  • edited December 2017
    I don't see why the dotted line thing is that important. The handles are fine for me and I can't think of any other software that had/has this feature and it wasn't that helpful for me when we did have it.

Feel free to disagree with me.

Right, I was actually saying that I  don’t need the dotted line movement after all given that using the current left and right triangle symbols lock movement to the horizontal or vertical axis.  Hence the happy dance I just did.  :)
  • Amazing update list thanks!!!
  • I hate the arrows, and i wont give up on at least a preference setting for something else.
  • StudioES said:
    I've gotten used to it.

Tap & hold a note first. It auto-zooms in, & the amount of zoom depends on the quantize setting in upper-right - the finer the quantize resolution, the more it zooms in. When moving the note, it's movement is constrained to whichever direction you move it (up or down only, or L or R only) AND you can move your finger so it doesn't cover the note.

It takes more steps than the old 'white dotted lines' method, but it's grown on me.
    I dont find myself needing the zoom as it is only horizontal, so I just start moving things before it kicks in.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 said:
    Is there still no way of shortening or lengthening a midi note from the left side of the note?

Which apps do that?

• edited December 2017

All desktop DAWs pretty much do that, lengthen shorten using left hand side of MIDI note or Pattern or audio clip.

It is very annoying not to be able to do this :(

• especially when it comes to audio clips and patterns, for me.

• @ronji said:
    especially when it comes to audio clips and patterns, for me.

Cus yeah, direct in the tinelibe, no opening edit and such.
    +++++ a really big number !!!

• @5pinlink said:
    All desktop DAWs pretty much do that, lengthen shorten using left hand side of MIDI >note or Pattern or audio clip.

I definitely have done this with audio clips and patterns just not notes that I recall.

• All mine do, but im a bit out the loop with DAWs nowadays, mostly just use Reaper, but that does it, studio one does it, tracktion does it etc.

• edited December 2017

The only iOS app I have that does it is Modstep. I can see the appeal though. Curious if Samplitude on PC can do it.

• Havent used Samplitude since the Amiga lol, so cant help there, sorry.

• Amiga - Atari, ... memories!

King

• edited December 2017

All this talk of Amiga and Atari has prompted a flashback... Here are the major platforms from my childhood to now ..

1993 - Protracker (Amiga)
    1996 - Jeskola Buzz (PC)
    1996 - Cubase VST
    2000 - Cubase SX
    2001 - Reason 1.0
    ....(every Reason update)...
    2010 - Reason 5.0
    ...various brief uses of Logic and Live
    2013 - Caustic (Android)
    2013 - Nanostudio
    2014 - Cubasis
    2016 - Korg Gadget
    2017 - BM3

• If i listed mine i would break the internet lol.

• Ha.

For a platform to qualify you have to have put at least 300+ hours in. If I lowered the threshold to about 100 hours the list would be twice as long

• At one point i was doing 70+ hours a week and had multiple systems on the go, 300+ hours would have been me demoing a platform lol
    So glad to be out of all that garbage !!
    (Got a ton of stuff to sell though if anybody wants it haha)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 said:

@ronji said:
    especially when it comes to audio clips and patterns, for me.

Yes midi AND audio clips. Such a workflow destroyer without it. I dont request as much anymore though. Thankfully because more new members are now repeating all my old requests so I don’t have to. I just sit back like an expectant child on xmas day hoping he got the preset he asked for when each update comes. Still waiting ...

Freudian hint at AU preset support lol