Korg Gadget

Anyone using Korg Gadget and how does it compare to BM3?

Comments

• edited December 2018

Completely different.

It's like having a load of little synth and drum machine toys wired together.

in summary...
    Lots of fun / expensive IAPs / you create lots of cool ideas / ...but ultimately you get frustrated about the clumsy sequencing and other limitations

...oh, and they recently released Gadget for Nintendo Switch!! that should tell you everything you need to know about who it's for and what it's capable of.

• @tk32 said:
    Completely different.

It's like having a load of little synth and drum machine toys wired together.

in summary...
    Lots of fun / expensive IAPs / you create lots of cool ideas / ...but ultimately you get frustrated about the clumsy sequencing and other limitations

...oh, and they recently released Gadget for Nintendo Switch!! that should tell you everything you need to know about who it's for and what it's capable of.

Fair enough. Just curious as I really want to use Korg's other apps but they're rendered useless pretty much due to no AU support.

• Yeah - those F**kers!!

I love Korg - but it's so sad all those awesome synth apps will never be AUv3

:cry:

• I use Korg Gadget as a sound module within BM3, using 16 MIDI channels. Within Korg Gadget you have to set it up as an "advance" MIDI setting. Gadget shouldn't be looked as a replacement application but it should be looked at as a supporting application.

• @Prophessor said:
    I use Korg Gadget as a sound module within BM3, using 16 MIDI channels. Within Korg Gadget you have to set it up as an "advance" MIDI setting. Gadget shouldn't be looked as a replacement application but it should be looked at as a supporting application.

Sounds clever. I guess the settings for the apps within Gadget are saved so all good?

• You can use as many as 16 Gadgets as sound modules from within BM3 (actually you can use more but you are limited to assigning 16 MIDI Channels). Here are the steps:

Within Gadget:
    - hit the gear icon (settings) and change the MIDI Input to "Advance"
    - instantiate the number of instruments (Gadgets) you would like to use and assign their MIDI channel from 1-16
    - save your configuration; I usually name my template "(iOS device) Sound Module"

Within BM3:
    - instantiate an IAA instance of Gadget and assign the MIDI channel to the instrument within Gadget you would like to use.
    - instantiate another instance of Gadget and assign the MIDI Out to Gadget and MIDI Channel to the instrument you would like to use....
    - **NOTE: **sometimes you may not be able to instantiate another Gadget IAA so you can use any IAA application at this point to get the sounds from BM3 to the next channel of the Gadget instrument you are interested in. You do this by just changing the MIDI setting of the IAA application to the MIDI Out and MIDI Channel to the Gadget and the instrument you want, respectively

After creating the beat I then convert the MIDI to audio; to do this

• SOLO the instruments within Gadget that you want to convert to audio because only the initial instance of Gadget within BM3 will produce sounds so you will have to MUTE the other instruments.
    • Within BM3 you follow the process of converting an AUv3 instrument to audio

Hope these instructions were helpful.

• The_Bro,
    You can use Gadget instruments as sound modules within BM3.
    Within Gadget:
    1. Hit the gear icon (Settings) and change the MIDI setting to Advance (this will allow you to assign each instrument within Gadget to it's own MIDI Channel)
    2. Create your instruments within Gadget and assign each instrument to it's own MIDI Channel

Within BM3:
    1. Create a bank and instantiate a Gadget IAA
    2. Set the Gadget MIDI OUT and CHANNEL to Gadget and the instrument that you would like to get sound from, respectively
    3. Repeat #2 for the number of instruments you would like to use within Gadget,
    4. NOTE: Sometimes you may be able to instantiate any more instances of Gadget; to overcome this, instantiate another IAA and change the MIDI OUT and CHANNEL to Gadget and the instrument you would like to get sound from
    5. The sound of the Gadget instruments will only come through the first instance of Gadget

To convert the instrument sound to a WAV file:
    1. Within Gadget - Solo the instrument that you would like to record the audio within BM3
    2. Within BM3 - Set up the audio track to record the audio from the first instance of Gadget
    3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 for all other sounds you want to record audio

Hopefully this makes sense. Like I stated Gadget in my view is like having a lot of sound modules for BM3 like I do in my studio physically.

• Great idea. I feel like a moron for not figuring this out myself ha ha. Shame Gadget isn't on offer anymore otherwise I'd snap it alongside some other Korg apps. I wonder when their next sale will be???

• edited January 2019

I would recommend to just get the Gadget app. The great thing about the Korg iOS apps is that many of the individual apps (when bought via the App Store) will appear in Gadget. The Korg Module, iWaveStation, iMono/Poly, Odyssei and others will be available within Gadget. This is why the Korg Gadget is such a great app, in my humble opinion; you just need to instantiate the Gadget App and you have many of the Korg Apps you've purchased.

You can even go a step further and sample the drum machine sounds from Korg Recife into a bank within BM3 and then you have the drum machine within Korg. Same for Amsterdam, Bilbao and other percussive Gadgets.

• edited January 2019

Gadget has very little that is not available as AU from developers who support IOS standards, it costs more in the long run and is only IAA, not a good add on for Beatmaker.

• edited January 2019

I had awesome fun with Gadget for about 6 months before BM3 came out - but since then, I haven’t opened it even once.

£30 will get you a handful of amazing AUv3 plugins that should serve you well whatever DAW you end up using ;)

Proprietary plugins are not cool, Korg.