Let's Debate... The Big Questions

13»

Comments

• I will answer all the other questions more thoughtfully and to respect of the OPs wishes except Question #1.

I hope I haven't broken any rules @tk32 Just read the fine print of original post.

• edited March 2019

@drez said:

@drez said
    I think almost all the negativity around this and any app is the comparison problem. As soon as it happens, everybody starts in on everybody and it goes negative.

This thread, in comparing BM3 to all these other apps, is hammering home my point.

I don't see a problem with comparing apps. For me it is like comparing wines. I like and use so many of them frequently. (err, apps not wine) Anyway, BM3, Cubasis, NS2. They all have bits of the pie for me. Even that abomination Gadget can be tolerable despite those bloody Korg fans. ; ) (oops, sry)

• @Audiogus said:

@drez said:

@drez said
    I think almost all the negativity around this and any app is the comparison problem. As soon as it happens, everybody starts in on everybody and it goes negative.

This thread, in comparing BM3 to all these other apps, is hammering home my point.

I don't see a problem with comparing apps. For me it is like comparing wines. I like and use so many of them frequently. (err, apps not wine) Anyway, BM3, Cubasis, NS2. They all have bits of the pie for me. Even that abomination Gadget can be tolerable despite those bloody Korg fans. ; ) (oops, sry)

But when you say pinot noir sucks because pinot gris is the best that’s not comparison, it’s pure opinion. That’s exactly what is happening in this thread. It’s a toxicity starter kit. Because the simple fact is people compare the objects as if you can only use one of them. Ever. Even though most people have different types of wine, beer, pants, shirts, cereal, meals, etc, apparently there’s no way in hell we could do that with iOS music apps.

That’s why comparison in a public forum is primarily a pointless excercise.

Which is...my opinion :lol:

• Re: Comparison

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that we're all used to feature-parity across DAWs in the desktop world. Sure there are huge differences between desktop DAW's, but there are ton of features (many of many of which I wouldn't even consider "essential") that are shared across most of the major players. We're not there yet on iOS, and I really think that what you're seeing from the comparison crew is an (ineffective and fairly short-sighted) attempt to get iOS DAWs to that level of essential feature parity.

Even in the desktop world, you see lots of toxicity from users of software that doesn't have fundamental feature parity with the rest of the field. (Go pick a random post on the NI Maschine forum to see what I mean.) But you don't generally see that kind of bashing and comparison when it comes to DAWs that have that fundamental parity. There's no toxic Studio One vs. Ableton vs. Cubase war raging in those scenes for a reason.

• edited March 2019

@legsmechanical said:
    Re: Comparison

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that we're all used to feature-parity across DAWs in the desktop world. Sure there are huge differences between desktop DAW's, but there are ton of features (many of many of which I wouldn't even consider "essential") that are shared across most of the major players. We're not there yet on iOS, and I really think that what you're seeing from the comparison crew is an (ineffective and fairly short-sighted) attempt to get iOS DAWs to that level of essential feature parity.

Even in the desktop world, you see lots of toxicity from users of software that doesn't have fundamental feature parity with the rest of the field. (Go pick a random post on the NI Maschine forum to see what I mean.) But you don't generally see that kind of bashing and comparison when it comes to DAWs that have that fundamental parity. There's no toxic Studio One vs. Ableton vs. Cubase war raging in those scenes for a reason.

I think I get what you are saying.

To me though there is a range of what is considered 'comparison'. Saying 'sucks' and 'rocks' is all pointless banter to me, but I don't see comparisons like 'You can automate AU fx in BM3, but not in NS2' or 'You can merge and split clips and retain automation in NS2 but not in BM3' as being toxic.

• Some comparaison to me are just a waste of time. Can’t compare BM3 to gadget or to NS2. You can compare Cubasis to Auria since the approach is similar. Can’t compare iOS to desktop. BM3 is not maschine and it’s not ableton. Let BM3 be BM3 and that’s it.
    Before BM3 I was using iMPC Pro, before that BM2 and iMPC so I prefer these types of apps. On desktop I use maschine and MPC, before that I was using fl studio, reason and Cubase. I can’t compare them because they each bring different vibes to my music and that’s what I like.

• edited March 2019

@Audiogus said:

@legsmechanical said:
    Re: Comparison

I think I get what you are saying.

To me though there is a range of what is considered 'comparison'. Saying 'sucks' and 'rocks' is all pointless banter to me, but I don't see comparisons like 'You can automate AU fx in BM3, but not in NS2' or 'You can merge and split clips and retain automation in NS2 but not in BM3' as being toxic.

Right. But it’s that 90% of the time people are “comparing” by saying “you can do something in X by not Y, therefore Y sucks”. That’s the whole problem. What if you don’t use that something, does Y still suck?

Comparisons are almost always relative purely to the individual. With sweeping comparisons like “everybody wants something” it instigates a reaction with others because obviously it’s not everybody, they just want to speak it to fact. @Audiogus you might be able to discern the difference, but this thread is evidence enough that not everybody has that gene. Comparison is taken as “you’re calling my baby ugly” and then it’s fisticuffs. Sweeping generalizations are a sign of immaturity and these forums are full of people at different levels of maturity. Some can be objective, others cannot.

OP was commenting on how to get rid of the stigma of BM3 being a trap/rap maker. I don’t make either of those things, yet I use BM3. I think the only reason someone would think that is because they don’t understand the many ways you can do something. I can write pretty much anything I want with any decent IOS host. It comes down to individual preference on what one chooses to do that with.

Want to break the stigma? Put out demo songs with various genre’s. Then the evidence is irrefutable. But if everything that is marketed or created with BM3 ends up being trap, the less mature music makers think oh, I guess BM3 only does trap. And the trap song I heard sucks, so BM3 must suck. I don’t know really how you change that stigma other than promoting top quality music created in BM3 in multiple genres.

Even then, you get people comparing the songs and we are right back to square one, haha.

• @hansjbs said:
    Some comparaison to me are just a waste of time. Can’t compare BM3 to gadget or to NS2. You can compare Cubasis to Auria since the approach is similar. Can’t compare iOS to desktop. BM3 is not maschine and it’s not ableton. Let BM3 be BM3 and that’s it.
    Before BM3 I was using iMPC Pro, before that BM2 and iMPC so I prefer these types of apps. On desktop I use maschine and MPC, before that I was using fl studio, reason and Cubase. I can’t compare them because they each bring different vibes to my music and that’s what I like.

In my case the approach between NS2 and BM3 is very similar in that I never use the BM3 scenes editor and am just focused on working in the timeline exclusively. When I look at how I use BM3 compared to NS2 (sorry for the 'C' word here) they are very very close to each other, one just has a stronger sample editor/sample triggering method and the other has a smoother timeline for me. For sure, if people are into the BM3 scenes view in a big way, fair enough it is a very different creature then. For me though, I use them almost 80% the same way as for my interests they simply are 80% the same. I totaly get it if it isn't the case for other users.

• I should quantify that last post...

The purpose of software is to allow the individual to make music at whatever level or whateve way they want. It’s freedom of expression. Some are more experienced than others, but the joy of making a musical creation is there for everyone. We shouldn’t rob anybody of that or discourage it. BM3 is an inexpensive tool that lets me lay in bed and write music. That’s cool to me. It might be that somebody chooses to use BM3 to try and “make it in the industry” or “charge clients for work” and that’s cool too...but both are just vantage points of the individual and neither is wrong. So we should just try to be tolerant of each other’s use cases and congratulate one another on the fact they are using it how they want to. And if somebody finds that they want to use BM3 in a way that they can’t get it to be what they want, it’s ok for them to say so.

It’s the constant beratement by the unhappy that gets tiresome because they are unwilling or incapable of understanding that one person can like blue shirts, but another person hates them...and it’s ok. They want to force their view on it as the only way.

So I think we should celebrate the various BM3 uses and promote those. Not just the most amazing songs but the fact that people use it to create music at whatever level they are at. That’s community and it shows others that the BM3 community embraces it. That in itself promotes the product. There are great examples of those individuals on this forum. Keep it up!

• @drez

Great points. At least one more person feels the way I feel about BM3 being tied to Hip Hop/Trap. I said the same thing in the BM3 discord and here. Showcase the various genres that users pro or entry level make with BM3. I don’t think this stigma is real like the MPC to p hop stigma. It was mentioned a couple places and that’s it. Yes most videos showcasing BM3 are done by hip hop guys but we have dean daughters, soundtestroom, theaudiodabler and more that shows otherwise.
    Also since BM3 is not a pick up and go app since it’s so deep that a lot don’t give it a chance and dismiss it. I see a lot of post on the AB forum about people that use to complain and finally giving a try after almost a year later and now realizing how powerful the app is. This will hopefully be helped by Tom K @tk32 ‘s book.

• edited March 2019

@Audiogus said:

@hansjbs said:
    Some comparaison to me are just a waste of time. Can’t compare BM3 to gadget or to NS2. You can compare Cubasis to Auria since the approach is similar. Can’t compare iOS to desktop. BM3 is not maschine and it’s not ableton. Let BM3 be BM3 and that’s it.

In my case the approach between NS2 and BM3 is very similar in that I never use the BM3 scenes editor and am just focused on working in the timeline exclusively. When I look at how I use BM3 compared to NS2 (sorry for the 'C' word here) they are very very close to each other, one just has a stronger sample editor/sample triggering method and the other has a smoother timeline for me. For sure, if people are into the BM3 scenes view in a big way, fair enough it is a very different creature then. For me though, I use them almost 80% the same way as for my interests they simply are 80% the same. I totaly get it if it isn't the case for other users.

It’s different for me. I can’t use NS2 like I can use BM3 but it’s just a matter of preference for me. It was the same with NS1, for whatever reason I just can’t get inspired as much with it and it’s A GREAT APP!! I would make a quick loop in NS2 using obsidian but that’s about it but that’s why I can’t see the comparison between the two and why people always go so hard for that. I think the developers of both apps are correct. They are better at complimenting each other.

• @hansjbs said:

@Audiogus said:

@hansjbs said:

It’s different for me. I can’t use NS2 like I can use BM3 but it’s just a matter of preference for me. It was the same with NS1, for whatever reason I just can’t get inspired as much with it and it’s A GREAT APP!! I would make a quick loop in NS2 using obsidian but that’s about it but that’s why I can’t see the comparison between the two and why people always go so hard for that. I think the developers of both apps are correct. They are better at complimenting each other.

Exactly. I was a die hard Reason user starting at 1.0. When Ableton Live came out, I thought this is pretty cool, it’s. Excel for audio, but I can’t do any MIDI...this is stupid. Obviously, I wasn’t their target audience at launch. So I kept using Reason. When Midi and Arrangement view came around, I thought now I need to take a look and I started rewiring Reason into Live and it was amazing! After while, the workflow of Live became mature enough for me to say goodbye to Reason because the workflow of Live was more enjoyable to me. Sure, I could use VST’s or whatever, but that wasn’t the draw for me, it was the workflow of how I made music that kept me in Live. Then when Push and Push2 came out, I can’t escape it. They just kept modifying that workflow and modifying it until it was closer to a traditional DAW and also the session view that many others are now integrating into their products. I absolutely love Ableton Live, it’s my favorite DAW to work on and I’ve invested thousands into VST’s.

BUT...that doesn’t mean I have no place for BM3 or NS2 or Auxy in my music life. I love laying in bed and working on music on my IPad with BM3 or NS2, or being at the coffee shop and pull my phone out and make some thing in Auxy. Pulling out AUM and just creating source material is it’s own workflow and reward. All of these things are useful to me at the right times. I can pull this stuff in to Ableton Live or... not. Whatever I feel like doing, I have so many options and I’m thankful I do!

There is no or, only and. Enjoy the tools at your disposal, there are so many. My brother is a handyman, does remodels a lot. He has so many tools, so many similar tools and I ask him “don’t you have like 6 saws?!?”. He tells me “sure, but i’m so glad I do because in the specific situation, it saves me time and does the best job. I need those different saws. Try to rip this 2x6 with a jigsaw and you’ll see”.

So am I with my music remodeling :lol:

• @hansjbs said:
    Also since BM3 is not a pick up and go app since it’s so deep that a lot don’t give it a chance and dismiss it.

This is a great point. I think there are a ton of new music makers on iOS because it’s a cheap way to get into it and indeed, an app like BM3 is super daunting for somebody in that demographic. They complain about things because they don’t understand how or why and then the internet happens and entitlement kicks in so let’s go to the forum and let everybody know that this app is garbage because I personally don’t like it or worse this app is garbage. It’s impossible for anybody in the entire world to make music with it because I can’t. Can’t be done. Fight me. and then the fireworks :lol: . So many trolls because of anonymity.

• @drez “Excel for audio”

😂

• @drez said:

I love laying in bed and working on music on my IPad with BM3 or NS2, or being at the coffee shop and pull my phone out and make some thing in Auxy.

My brother is a handyman, does remodels a lot. He has so many tools, so many similar tools and I ask him “don’t you have like 6 saws?!?”. He tells me “sure, but i’m so glad I do because in the specific situation, it saves me time and does the best job. I need those different saws. Try to rip this 2x6 with a jigsaw and you’ll see”.

So am I with my music remodeling :lol:

This is why i’m Grateful for iOS.make music anywhere.

I get that a lot, people who comes to my home studio don’t understand why I have an MPC X and a Maschine MK3...they do the same things they say. My answer is usually ok but I get a different workflow on what I decided to use and that brings a different vibe to my music which to me is worth owning both. I don’t like being in a box. I still use FL Studio from time to time and if I still had reason I would still use it also.

People seem to always want to tell you things and drop their beliefs on you to swallow without thinking. Who cares if I have 6 drum machines and 12 software DAW as long as I’m using all of them and I’m happy doing so mind your effin business. Lol

• @GusGranite said:
    @drez “Excel for audio”

😂

It did look like that :D :D :D

• @znomusic said:
    iOS apps are great like toys for childrens, sorry for telling that ( I’ve buy plenty of the best, like BM3) but if you want doing great stuff you must turn to computer.
    Bm3 is a Ableton clone that is place between hard and software, for those (like me) who wanted a standalone possibility to play live. But the thing is that on stage you’not Play on you touch screen, you need real faders and boutons, that is where BM3 hurts, mapping some parameters just for fun....
    Some bugs that make decades to be fixed...
    An hypothetical Mac OS version that never comes ...
    frustration : that is the word.
    So much time lost to réalise that if I want compose, I better spend my time with reason, logic, live or reaper and for live performance : sp404, mpc1000 or live, microkorg, kaospad and so on ....
    And thanks god : Akai Force that is the solution that I did not found in BM3.

I’ll continue to play for fun with apps but now I build projects with real tools

@znomusic your talking crap ..errrm Gorillaz album all done on ipad plus many more Groups Bands etc, I have an MPC an Akai S950 PROTOOLS Blah blah ..bm3 competes with all those hardware machines as well as other apps. Dont get me wrong each to their own but why you posting that on an app forum...madness.

• edited March 2019

The biggest question I personally have is if the remaining bugs will ever get fixed?!

The most annoying current bug for me personally is the 'automatic monitor muting' when recording samples!
    Meaning it's impossible to monitor the input signal in the Audio Recorder while recording samples...

Like WTF?! (Who the F screwed up the 3.0.12 update, like seriously).
    Just fix it already!

@mathieugarcia knows I've been a long time supporter of BM3 and I've promised to keep my mouth shut...

I don't care who fixes but someone has to!

Peace out...

• @samu said:
    The most annoying current bug for me personally is the 'automatic monitor muting' when recording samples!
    Meaning it's impossible to monitor the input signal in the Audio Recorder while recording samples...

Agreed wholeheartedly - the fact that this has not been fixed YET is beyond bad.
    This was BROKEN in the update - we're not asking for a new feature.

Please fix what is broken at least. ;)

Too many issues overall, lack of proper midi mapping and clock still, etc.... Have really taken away my interest in making BM3 videos at this time....

HUGE LET DOWN for me personally....
    I'm really surprised there was no update to at least FIX the broken audio monitoring issue.....

Just my 2 cents, Still love BM3 and not looking to start any fires here or piss anybody off please, so respond with kindness or don't bother please. 😀 👊

• edited March 2019

@DeanDaughters said:

@samu said:

Agreed wholeheartedly - the fact that this has not been fixed YET is beyond bad.
    This was BROKEN in the update - we're not asking for a new feature.

Please fix what is broken at least. ;)

Too many issues overall, lack of proper midi mapping and clock still, etc.... Have really taken away my interest in making BM3 videos at this time....

HUGE LET DOWN for me personally....
    I'm really surprised there was no update to at least FIX the broken audio monitoring issue.....

Just my 2 cents, Still love BM3 and not looking to start any fires here or piss anybody off please, so respond with kindness or don't bother please. 😀 👊

:blush:

• @beatmakerstorm said:

@znomusic said:
    iOS apps are great like toys for childrens, sorry for telling that ( I’ve buy plenty of the best, like BM3) but if you want doing great stuff you must turn to computer.
    Bm3 is a Ableton clone that is place between hard and software, for those (like me) who wanted a standalone possibility to play live. But the thing is that on stage you’not Play on you touch screen, you need real faders and boutons, that is where BM3 hurts, mapping some parameters just for fun....
    Some bugs that make decades to be fixed...
    An hypothetical Mac OS version that never comes ...
    frustration : that is the word.
    So much time lost to réalise that if I want compose, I better spend my time with reason, logic, live or reaper and for live performance : sp404, mpc1000 or live, microkorg, kaospad and so on ....
    And thanks god : Akai Force that is the solution that I did not found in BM3.

I’ll continue to play for fun with apps but now I build projects with real tools

@znomusic your talking crap ..errrm Gorillaz album all done on ipad plus many more Groups Bands etc, I have an MPC an Akai S950 PROTOOLS Blah blah ..bm3 competes with all those hardware machines as well as other apps. Dont get me wrong each to their own but why you posting that on an app forum...madness.

I’ve may be too much attempt on bm3, I must be wrong ... may be the the workflow is just not for me. BUT there are some issues that should be corrected as been mentioned many times by others and me. The fact that you can’t read a wav in song mode when you play loops in scene mode. The wave stops. No update for correct this.

• edited April 2019

I just remembered, if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all. So I’ve edited this post 😄