ERNs (v0.99 Preview Available Now!)

edited February 2018 in Resources

Another wild tool from me to you is available now as a Preview! <3 Feel free to ask questions. Here’s some screenshots:

DISCLAIMER:

I am not affiliated with the company Intua. I am just an user. Please do not ask Intua for support of ERNs itself. Only if you find a bug AND/OR limitation of Beatmaker 3 with this should you post a thread. If you think there is something that should be a feature in Beatmaker 3, please make a feature request. You might understand what I mean as you play with link groups more. Thank you all!

DOWNLOAD:

File Size: 15.76 mb
Default Memory Usage: 182.5mb
https://www.dropbox.com/s/57qptqo8awugsrq/ERNs v0_99 - Preview.zip?dl=0

SUPPORT:

I am always here to help with any issues that you may experience or if you are having any trouble using this. Just post in this thread or PM me. :)

And here's all the ridiculous info for the preview version you might want to know:

HOW TO USE

For those unfamiliar with link groups, empty wavs, and instrument mapping:

SAMPLES AND PLUGINS LOADING/LINKING/OTHER

On PAGE TWO in 64 view (PAGE SEVEN in 16 view) are some preset pads to load your own samples or plugins. They are labeled LdnLnk Assign a linkgroup 1-12 to see how this works after loading if you plan on staying inside the ERNs bank.

You can also load plugins to ERNs pads if you wish. It will just ovveride the naming scheme I used to keep you organized. You can always rename it back if you wish. Don't forget!

It is suggested to not load audio samples on ERNs pads themselves unless you map to a new layer/existing layer and the assigned keys of whatever pad you are viewing are matched. This takes work. Save yourself tons of trouble and don't load samples onto ERNs' pads

Plugins can also listen on the banks midi input or pads midi input. Customize to your liking. :)

SAMPLE/PLUGIN EFFECTS PARAMETERS SETTINGS MUTES

Adding effects, adjusting any sample settings, modulations and muting ERNs scale pads does nothing. Do this to where your samples/plugins are located. Exception: Plugins on pads, AU parameters (Looking for a proper feature request for link groups) :)

AUDIO TRAINING IMPLEMENTATION

This preview version does not have training or games any kind. Just the empty patterns. You can get them by loading patterns when you load the bank. There are a few small info tidbits and midi. Nothing special at this time. It currently covers nothing but an understanding of the Major Formula. More will come in future releases including chord design and training. There are pads reserved for the audio trainers on Page Two.

M1 PIANO LG1-12

The piano is being referenced 12 times on PAGE TWO (PAGE 8 in 16 view) For each 12 pads you see they are assigned link groups (LG 1-12). Each piano sample also has a polyphony of 12. This is to create a playable keys mode outside of keys mode and to prevent choking if you stay inside this bank.

The M1 Piano files can be bypassed with mutes or deleted. The more deleting you do, the more choking the piano will do if you are going to play keys outside of keys or utilize multiple scales with the M1 Piano pads.

COPY/PASTE

Save resources. If you load this bank in your sessions and are not going to use the instrument or training itself, then I suggest copying ERNs pads to other banks and then unloading the ERNs bank.

EQUAL PATTERN TRANSFER

Any midi recorded to the ERNs bank from the scale pads can equally be transferred to another bank and pad in whichever method you use to do this. This includes the keys outside of keys mode.

SCALES

< NO SCALE > in BM3 SCALES MODE is the layout for actual scales per pad. Each pad has modes in < NO SCALE > built into paging via semitones. Each one is uniquely different. Scale modes will be covered in audio training at a later time. Even if you don't know theory. I suggest you play with this to see how your music changes. I'm doing this in sections.

CHORDS MODE (TEACHERS)

Chords do not play out on ERNs pads by default. They instead teach you the actual chord in whichever pad you are viewing in KEYS MODE. This can only be bypassed with plugins I believe.

KEYS MODE OUTSIDE OF KEYS MODE

The 16/64 pads in ERNs are also a completely polyphonic instrument. Each pad is playable and also highlights it's octaves. It covers a 5 octave range. You can play all sorts of strange things with this or combine it with each scale type. Even customize the starting key range regardless of labeling.

16 CUSTOM SCALE/CHORD PRESET PADS

Unnamed pads in ERNs can serve three purposes. To serve as any octave of a specific key, colorless for some specific audio training challenges/games, or for you to build your own custom scales/chord sets with the empty riff notes included in the resources folder.

ERNs FOLDER

Here you will find all the premapped empty riff notes to build anything you want. A drag and drop on mappings will assign everything automatically for you. You don't even have to worry about where you drop it. It's always root/high/low and velocity 127. This can be adjusted in any way you wish after dropping if needed. This makes building things extremely fast.

BUGS/LIMITATIONS

THINGS TO BE AWARE OF:
This bank has the potential of exposing 5-10 bugs AND/OR current limitations of Beatmaker 3. I wanted to let everyone know this. @mathieugarcia is already aware of many of them.

Here is the list of experiences you may come across:

1 - Latch/sustains WHILE IN KEYS MODE (multitouch more than one finger) when doing scale runs will sustain a random note (making a one shot)

2 - Lost touches/incorrect note values - OUTSIDE OF KEYS MODE mostly related to slide behaviors or fast movements. Sliding your finger across a set of 4 pads in 16 view will show lost touches. You can actually see this bug sliding slowly in sampler view or performance view. Fast movements between pads can trigger incorrect note values. Causing #4

3 - Missed quantization - sliding does not quantize NOTE ONs. Only taps quantize. Related to unconfirmed bugs by users such as pad erase. Can't pad erase properly sometimes if NOTE ONs are not quantized.

4 - Choking pads when choking is off because incorrect note values sometimes happen when playing pads fast (think a finger drummer), the same note values sometimes trigger at the same time, causing a perceived choke even though choke isn't set. This also causes midi data to not be captured to the pattern editor. Edit: I’ve attempted to make a workaround for this and for other reasons by referencing the M1 twelve times.

5 - Layer issues - 3 bugs in one really. Sample selection in an existing layer is incorrect, collapsed versus uncollapsed between pads causes autoscroll, can also make pad layers disappear requiring a slide down to refresh. Also makes mapping screen seem incorrect when pad is selected. Sometimes sample edit screen will show ‘NO SAMPLE’.

6 - Pattern Numbers - they do not change properly when doing a combination of deleting/adding patterns. You can delete any pattern and it's pattern number will stay the same. Creating a new pattern after doing so puts it back... but the patterns can't be moved up and down. Causing disorganization.

7 - Bad Scroll lock in mappings this one is only exposed if a user is building an instrument (not with my samples included). When adjusting zones in any layer and adding another sample and adjusting it's zone, a scroll lock can happen at some point where you can no longer move back and forth through the 10oct keybed in mappings. It will auto scroll and ZOOM+ controls become broken. Reloading a bank or the same session doesn't fix this because the mappings window container in code is not tied to bank or sessions. The only fix is to restart BeatMaker 3.

8 - NEW Crash with effects Not related to ERNs, this is any project and only on instrument pads that are linked to other pads, but not ERNs pads themselves. Pressing the pad effect button on your own instruments and then playing on ERNs pads (any linked pads with effects as well) may crash BM3. This happens mostly when copying a pad that has effects from another bank and then linking it.

9 - NEW Pad Grid Edges pad grid itself is playable outside of performance view pads and even on all other navigation views. Lol. While playing outside of KEYS MODE/or inside KEYS MODE you may experience a control such as select, keys, mute, solo, a repeat, trigger, scales mode, chords mode, navigation, etc switch on/off even though you know for a fact you didn’t touch those buttons. If your finger still held down you will be able to still play the keys or pads.

If anyone using this can confirm these, I would seriously appreciate it. But don’t hunt for them. Let them happen naturally. Make music instead! :)

COLLABORATORS

I am looking for anyone who is interested in making some cool effects presets for this or macros for the M1 built in or other ideas. Got a cool idea, PM me your ERNs bank in a zip and I'll make it official in this one.

MOST OF ALL:

Have fun and let me know if this has helped you in your workflows or made music extremely fun to create. I accept all constructive criticism!

Peace out!

Tagged:

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • it looks very very cool, but so many questions! what do ERNs do in relation to what this is? I don't even know what a riff note is, much less an empty one. how do built-in personal music trainer and games work? my brain asplode looking at these screenshots. you shoulda made a short teaser video in the time you made these screenshots haha =P

• I have no idea what any of this does !!!
    Looking forward to twisting my melons on it though.

• @triton100 said:
    This looks pretty cool. Does your software requires the apc hardware or can it be used hardware free within bm3?

This isn't software. It's just a powerful bank using BM3s features. No Hardware required. :)

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Amazing job, @mefisme !

Thanks!. Hope this is okay!

• edited February 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2018

@ronji said:
    it looks very very cool, but so many questions! what do ERNs do in relation to what this is? I don't even know what a riff note is, much less an empty one. how do built-in personal music trainer and games work? my brain asplode looking at these screenshots. you shoulda made a short teaser video in the time you made these screenshots haha =P

@5pinlink said:

I have no idea what any of this does !!!
    Looking forward to twisting my melons on it though.

ERNs (EMPTY RIFF NOTE samples) - a fancy name I made up because of three things. WAV files do not have to produce sound. Silence is a tool. So these wavs produce no sound. They are
    .WAV files that follow the RIFF specification originally implemented by Microsoft and still used today by wavs. When you carve away data chunks from a .WAV. It becomes really small. At a certain point you reach the header of a WAV file. The smallest usuable WAV is I think 44 bytes (an 8000khz 8bit mono WAV with no samples). You could also consider the term like writing a musical riff. The NOTE in this is special. These are a little bit bigger (108 bytes each) I've premapped every single note in metadata. In the banks folder you will find the entire 10 octave keyboard samples. If you build your own stuff, each file premaps to the root key, high key, low key in zones and layers.

Built in musical trainer uses patterns that you can watch or interact with. The trainer itself uses an included M1 piano samples instrument sampled from a guy on KVR forums. He will be accredited in the Readme file. Trainers can be anyone, but I suppose it will be me with this. Audio plays along with each pattern teaching you music theory and other things. Games are like tests challenges and other fun stuff to strengthen knowleged and hands on iPad. One is obviously SimonSays. :). Videos for this is tough at the early stages. Plus the screenshots were uploaded at 5am without sleep. I'll get to them as soon as I can. :)

• MORE INFO:
    There was never a problem with chords mode or scales mode in beat maker 3. It was more so a potential problem with scales mode and chords mode used simultaneously. Because scales mode changes the pads locations for easier play. this is why chords are stuck to the scale you selected and you will never learn scales either. ERNs changes behavior and perspective so that chords and scales are even easier to be played/learned. That’s because I’ve mapped them all for you! When you were using entire zone when loading a sample, all the coloring was spread across the entire pad grid. This is only a problem if you don’t know your basic music theory. Because zones and layers don’t have independent coloring system, BM3 KEYS mode is like a traditional keyboard on PERF VIEW but difficult to read as all pads are colored. This is all fine. There’s nothing wrong with chords and scales modes in BM3. At its most fundamental level, the ERNs bank gives you a proper layout to make music.

Turning this:

Into this (a scale of choice):

Now you will be able to see notes in a scale, notes NOT in a fundamental scale, and all accidentals more clearly. No note is muted. Chords easier to learn play. This is how powerful Beatmaker 3 is. Allows you to build tools like this. I’ve just made for you so you don’t have to. <3

• Cool Knowledge:
    Don’t know who Neil Harbisson is? He’s a cyborg. Not a joke.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Harbisson

• Im still completely lost lol

• @philowerx said:
    Wow!

Right?

@triton100 said:
    Wow! I see. That’s really cool. Will be so useful and help me brush up my music theory. Gosh that’s so generous.

Beatmaker 3 is the only DAW intuitive and powerful enough to change your perception of music and make theory something so easy that by the time you run though this, you will become a better producer/performer. It seriously takes like 30 minutes or less to grasp it. This thing is so powerful I might have to include a warning since it can induce emotional states by the artist creating music. All music does this, but since Beatmaker 3 makes music creation extremely easy, users are probably going to experience these phenomena more often.

@5pinlink said:
    Im still completely lost lol

That’s okay! When you play with it, hopefully it will make more sense and be useful to you. :)

• This is beautiful.

• @5pinlink said:
    Im still completely lost lol

I was afraid I couldn’t understand because of language issue, but apparently I am not alone to not understand ! 😂

• @Sygma drag or load a sample onto a pad, and go into keys mode on that pad. Can you play a C# minor scale in that 16 or 64 view without using scales mode?

• @mefisme said:
    @Sygma drag or load a sample onto a pad, and go into keys mode on that pad. Can you play a C# minor scale in that 16 or 64 view without using scales mode?

This is what scale mode is made for, no? I am sorry as I know that you put a lot of effort on it, but I just can’t see what you are doing!

• edited February 2018

Scales mode currently hides all notes not in the scale, and the visible pads collapse into a kind of 'safe' (idiot) mode, so it's impossible to play off-scale notes. This also means the user never learns about scales and intervals, therefore never improves their music theory understanding.

@mefisme has devised a method by which the in-scale notes can be highlighted, but all the other notes can still be seen and played, allowing more advanced use of accidentals in melodies and modified chords.

At least that's what I've concluded so far. I think it will make more sense when we can try version 1 (which I'm really looking forward to)

• edited February 2018

@tk32 said:
    Scales mode currently hides all notes not in the scale, and the visible pads collapse into a kind of 'safe' (idiot) mode, so it's impossible to play off-scale notes. This also means the user never learns about scales and intervals, therefore never improves their music theory understanding.

@mefisme has devised a method by which the in-scale notes can be highlighted, but all the other notes can still be seen and played, allowing more advanced use of accidentals in melodies and modified chords.

At least that's what I've concluded so far. I think it will make more sense when we can try version 1 (which I'm really looking forward to)

Yes, you got the general point dead on. Good job! Can’t wait for you to use it! :)

Almost all pad based controllers do the ‘safe’ thing because it is easier to play on physical pads (unlike touch screens) But I like to call these layouts that companies of controllers and software do ‘slow production/performance mode’. Not idiot mode. Idiot would imply someone that already had the knowledge and didn’t use it to their advantage. Since we are dealing with a touch screen, it makes equal sense to map the physical scales or chords visually (just like a training keyboard) right on the pads. This does some crazy and amazing stuff for ‘you’, the artist.

Even if you don’t use the built-in trainer for theory and just the scale pads in this bank, you will know fundamental scale design and chord design just by using ERNs (natural memorization of note position on the grid). This is completely transferable to the keybed in BM3 or on physical hardware (real pads, real keys). Making you super efficient in workflow (production, performance)

Your hands and fingers will strengthen for touch screen controllers. For both synths and finger drummers. With practice you can play chords and scales with one hand or both. You can learn crab-walks on iPad. Strengthen that pinky. Utilize the thumb. Hammer on/pull offs, slides. The works. (A true iPad musician)

Scale and chord design/progressions is now completely available with ERNs bank pads or completely custom with the samples I have included (already was available). If you want a custom layout for keys for a particular song go for it! An artist may have a go to Melody or scale that they use often.

ERNs also simplifies trialing samples and plugins, or getting up and running quickly in your productions or for a performance. Instead of building each instrument and wasting time per pad, you can link a sample or multisampled instrument to link group one, or make custom link groups to trial sample layering. Or assign a plugin to the entire bank, or assign plugins to individual pads. Or all 4 at the same time.

ERNs does go much much further than this, but that’s the main points. ERNs is not just a trainer. It’s a super creative production/performance tool for BM3.

• paging up/down just became more powerful as well. modes (Ionian, Dorian, locrian, etc..) were always there, but now they are visually there.

• edited February 2018

This isn’t the greatest example as I wasn’t really trying to perform here, just was improvising with one hand and testing some other things (BM3 bugs/limitations). I could have recorded this silently without a click but I didn’t have my audio interface hooked up to send my click to my headphones. I also left the metronome on for too long. Sorry.

In the video I am showing that I’m in the Key of C by letting them run at 1/8 notes. Then I play inside a F major ERNs pad, then I play some chords using the minor blues scales layout built into BM3 (because I wanted to have a minor tonality, liked the layout, didn’t have to but wanted to show the ERNs layout inside BM3s scale modes), then I completely mess up some improvisation. Haha.

EDIT: Its driving me nuts I don’t know how to get high quality. It takes like two hours before it shows in HD when embed outside of YouTube. Grrrr

• Trainer options:

Alright boys and girls, the beginning of the week has begun. I'd like to get the preview out with an audio tainer but I haven't implemented it yet. This would mean no games or followable training in the preview. I can release the preview without a trainer, or implement a text to speech AI to train for the preview. If you want the trainer now, This will cause delays in you playing with this. Would you be alright with the preview not having the trainer?

• Preview now, trainer later, Please! 🆒

• I think I get it. Bring it on.

• edited February 2018

Just tidying up some file management, CPU/mem resources, and clearing out all my testing so everything is at defaults. It’s 1am here, should have it posted soon. If not in the next couple hours I’ll get it up tomorrow guaranteed. This preview version also doesn’t have tweakable macro effects for the M1. You can tweak this yourself if you wish. The M1 is still very popular for layering with other instruments. If you don't want the M1, just delete the pads on page 2, don't want the patterns to at least see how training will look, just load without patterns. :)

EDIT: Important information and download moved to the top thread.

• Wow, what a pro!

I hope to have some time later this week to sit down and really understand how this works.

Thanks @mefisme

• edited February 2018

@tk32 said:
    Wow, what a pro!

I hope to have some time later this week to sit down and really understand how this works.

Thanks @mefisme

Just play with it. It's already an instrument by itself anyways. But does alot more.

EDIT: Its 7am and haven’t slept. Meant to say you’re welcome as well! :smiley:

• edited February 2018

Important Information and details moved to the top thread. Here’s the hotlink to download:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/57qptqo8awugsrq/ERNs v0_99 - Preview.zip?dl=0

• @mefisme Just wanted to follow up that I've enjoyed what you've done here. I think I'll get a lot of use out of this with a little work. Looking forward to what comes next.

• @aaronp said:
    @mefisme Just wanted to follow up that I've enjoyed what you've done here. I think I'll get a lot of use out of this with a little work. Looking forward to what comes next.

Appreciate this comment. Any questions so far?