BM2 vs BM3

2»

Comments

• @Laidback
    I feel you. I need that BM2 sequencing in BM3 in my life.
  • @KudZu_Tang said:
    @Laidback
    I feel you. I need that BM2 sequencing in BM3 in my life.

:)

• @samu said:

@hansjbs said:
    I don't understand why everyone is looking at BM3 to be a DAW.

Beats me too?!

Personally I see BM3 more like a "sampling workstation" with a pattern sequencer similar to the classic Roland W30 and not as a 'do everything and replace all other apps' app. It's another tool among others.

I guess some people are desperately looking for 'Ableton Live for iOS' and I feel those wishes should be sent directly to Ableton...

I've never used Ableton Live. I still have a W-30 I bought new in 1989. I wrote a lot of music for my band, theater and dance with the on board 16 track sequencer but I always hated working in patterns. It reminded me of sequencing our CZ-101 with a Sequential Circuits TOM and later the Alesis MMT8. It was doable but blocky. Once I bought Logic Audio by Emagic I was heaven, there was such freedom with a linear workflow. Gone were the days of strictly patterns and blocks of sequences. I could still create blocks of patterns but I could also play out long evolving parts over the top.
    When BM2 came on iOS I found the closest thing to my old Logic workflow and fell in love again. I really want to have that same love for BM3. It's so close, we just need the ability to add instruments back on the main timeline. I get that Machine, drum machine and pattern sequencer users don't see a need for it but it was there in BM2 and a lot of long time faithful INTUA customers do want the linear MIDI instrument workflow. Let's have both pattern and linear, BM3 will be a killer full DAW.

• I am sure it will come back pretty quick, it is the number one request as far as i can tell right now, we all want our own little tweaks here and there, but it seems that a vast majority of people want this, those that don't wont be affected by it being implemented, so it is a no brainer.

• Are people not in song mode? I'm not having all these pattern issues at all...
    Song mode seems almost exactly like it was on bm2...only difference I have stumbled upon is when a clip is dragged on top another it merges the data...so it must be cut...also there's a copy that allows you to edit a pattern once and it applies it to all the copies...that should be called clone, because it's confusing!

as far as bugs go, I don't care who releases apps, they always have bugs in the beginning...bm3 has a diverse user base, people from all walks use this app...so everyone is discovering different work flow bugs at once...makes it seem a heap worse than it is...I barely/or don't use half the buggy things on the app...so for me it's just a matter of waiting on updates to fix the few things that I could perhaps encounter.

Bm3 is also a fairly intense app...it does a lot! It tries to fill many aspects of music creation...so with that complexity comes an increased chance to have issues that are not quickly found etc.

But when you sit back and think for a second, of where this tool is going, and it was only 20 bucks...wow!
    Let me see you buy an octatrack for 20.00? What about an MPC live for 20.00 as well? If you want to compare tools...MPC live vs bm3 is probably the best comparison...and in many ways bm3 is more powerful, more portable, and has more battery life. Download the MPC/live manual and compare for yourself.

My suggestion is...let's all use it, let's figure out what's wrong, let's post it, let's let be patient and let our investment in bm3 also be an investment in the people who make it happen... intua itself...they always listen, they always add great new features, they always fix bugs...i can name many larger companies that do not, and their apps cost the same and do much less.

I have the highest confidence in intua!

• edited July 2017

@MicGee$ said:
    Are people not in song mode? I'm not having all these pattern issues at all...
    Song mode seems almost exactly like it was on bm2...only difference I have stumbled upon is when a clip is dragged on top another it merges the data...so it must be cut...also there's a copy that allows you to edit a pattern once and it applies it to all the copies...that should be called clone, because it's confusing!

as far as bugs go, I don't care who releases apps, they always have bugs in the beginning...bm3 has a diverse user base, people from all walks use this app...so everyone is discovering different work flow bugs at once...makes it seem a heap worse than it is...I barely/or don't use half the buggy things on the app...so for me it's just a matter of waiting on updates to fix the few things that I could perhaps encounter.

Bm3 is also a fairly intense app...it does a lot! It tries to fill many aspects of music creation...so with that complexity comes an increased chance to have issues that are not quickly found etc.

But when you sit back and think for a second, of where this tool is going, and it was only 20 bucks...wow!
    Let me see you buy an octatrack for 20.00? What about an MPC live for 20.00 as well? If you want to compare tools...MPC live vs bm3 is probably the best comparison...and in many ways bm3 is more powerful, more portable, and has more battery life. Download the MPC/live manual and compare for yourself.

My suggestion is...let's all use it, let's figure out what's wrong, let's post it, let's let be patient and let our investment in bm3 also be an investment in the people who make it happen... intua itself...they always listen, they always add great new features, they always fix bugs...i can name many larger companies that do not, and their apps cost the same and do much less.

I have the highest confidence in intua!

I also have confidence INTUA will iron out the bugs. I've been beta testing BM3 for the past 5 months and using BM2 as my exclusive DAW for the past 5 years. I have all other iOS DAWs but find them all lacking. Hardware and software grooveboxes hold zero appeal to me due to blocky, pattern based song mode limitations so I'm comparing BM3 to it's mother BM2.
    Yes Song Mode in BM3 is equivalent to the timeline in BM2. The difference between BM3 Song Mode and BM2 timeline shows when you attempt to arrange. In BM3 you have the 8 Bank limit, in BM2 you have unlimited Instruments on the same timeline. Arranging in BM3 Song mode each of those 8 banks, even though they have 1-128 Instruments, all those Instruments are locked into the same length when you move or copy them on the Song mode timeline. Each Bank is affected as a unit. In BM2 each Instrument is a discreet track to be copied, moved and arranged independently. It's a subtle yet profound and important difference. The 8 Bank limit is sufficient for basic pop song structure but fails when you have multiple elements spanning those artificial lines between sections.

• IMO - as it is at the moment, it's got a fair bit of evolution to go before it can be considered a real DAW ;)

• I didn't think of BM2 as a DAW either. And yes i know what a DAW is and what it means. We can sit here and go back and forth all day about the true meaning of a DAW but no one got time for that. Can BM3 do everything that everyone thinks a DAW can do No. Should it? In my opinion no because it would never be a finish product. Beatmaker to me is like an MPC or Maschine on an ipad.
  • @philowerx said:

" Arranging in BM3 Song mode each of those 8 banks, even though they have 1-128 Instruments, all those Instruments are locked into the same length when you move or copy them on the Song mode timeline. Each Bank is affected as a unit. In BM2 each Instrument is a discreet track to be copied, moved and arranged independently. It's a subtle yet profound and important difference. The 8 Bank limit is sufficient for basic pop song structure but fails when you have multiple elements spanning those artificial lines between sections."

BOOM !!!Best way to sum it up, we all want the BM2 arranging like mode back hehe :)