BM2 vs BM3

Why were so many functions from BM2 dropped from BM3? In various Internet forums I see a lot of long time INTUA supporters ranging from scratching their heads to completely revolting and getting App Store refunds. I understand BM3 has been rebuilt from the ground up but I believe a lot of faithful longtime BM2 users feel BM3 should have all functions from BM2 as a base then add new functionality. I'll put this out there I have been a fierce defender of INTUA for many years.

Comments

• edited July 2017

Which forums, admittedly i only visit here and Audiobus that are IOS specific, but i haven't seen one complaint about dropped features from BM2 at either of those.
    Which features are being missed specifically ?
    Not defending anyone here by the way, just asking.

• "Marek Dendy Dendeš i disagree.. in terms of DAW functionalities , BM2 is better than BM3...

BM3 have lot better sampler snd AUv3 support.. but except of this it doesn't offer nothing new in terms of DAW functionalities, what is worst, Intua dropped some DAW functionalities compared to BM2.."

• "Martin Neuhold But BM3 lacks the quality of audio tracks on BM2, I get all kinds of clicks and glitches when I use BM3's audio tracks in the way I used BM2. I used to run up to 20 audio tracks with loops and chord sequences in BM2. That doesn't seem to be possible in BM3 at the moment..."

• "Martin Neuhold Loran Pittman not yet, I'm not a member there. Actually I'm not really good at handling more than one communication platform...

To explain it more: As I wrote elsewhere, I usually use audio loops with tails and let the tail overlap with the next loop (was that understandable?). When overlapping, there are glitches beginning from the first audio track."

• "Karl Sander Buy it if you want a great sampler in the vein of MPC/Elektron. (Maybe) don't if you want a desktop style DAW"

• edited July 2017

There are more but the general consensus is BM3 has lost it's linear focus for pattern based production. I think both options should be available. Martin speaking up pushed me over the edge. He's been a major proponent for INTUA for years.

• I also am disturbed by the change. I love the sampler.....dislike the focus on pattern base. I want to love BM3 as much as BM2.....it just doesn't rock right in the linear department any longer. It also has taken away from the easy keyboard sampling it once had. I could quick load samples to a layer, then it would go on to the next keygroup automatically. Now it makes a new layer for each sample and you have to move it to the first layer manually. Then you have to manually place the key group. Not workflow friendly in this regard. The ease of copying and placing per track midi and Audio in the sequencer is gone. There is NO MIDI CLOCK send/receive. It's now just a sampler with pattern capabilities.
  • So what forums are these on ?

• Overall Bm3 kills bm2! Bm2 is a far simpler linear daw because it doesn't really do very much...from what I've seen so far Bm3 just needs a little ironing out here and there and a little user adjustment elsewhere. Things like midi out and midi import etc have all been confirmed as coming in updates'.. :) Patience ;) Everyone still has BM2 to use in the meantime if they genuinely prefer it overall...

And the things that Martin is complaining about sound more cpu related than daw functionality?
  • MIDI Import works now, there is a channel bug, but it works

• There's so much going on in BM3 and its easy to see roughly where intua are shooting for with it, that to me it doesn't make much sense to compare to bm2 so early on. It's like hating on intua for trying to cram all this functionality in and break new ground..

This feels more like the 'feature request and bug reports' stage.. Not 'Bm2 vs Bm3' or 'they broke it compared to the old program..'. It's not a bm2 OS update. It's a new thing ;) If people are still finding all these little workflow issues after a couple of months use and couple of updates then yeh, totally understandable, but for now it feels premature/pointless unless filing bug reports/requests..

Tbh I have little sympathy for people's hang-ups with BM3 (or any software/hardware) if they can't even be bothered to sign up to the company forum or email intua and place a bug report in a helpful manner for themselves/the company/the community. If people only take the most convenient route for themselves to vent (complaining on Facebook) then I'm not sure what they really expect to achieve in return ;)
  • edited July 2017

I understand the frustration coming from BM2 users if they look after some of its features / workflow in version 3.
    The app concept is pretty different but sure, some features are missing. That said, it took a while for BM2 to reach its current status. LOTS of updates.

We're carefully going through the (huge) amount of feedback we receive to nail down what we should fix, polish or even bring back. Right now it's all about priorities and making sure the current feature set works are expected.

BM3 isn't the magic solution to the iOS world either! We should be grateful to have such a varieties of DAWs, synths, instruments, controllers, etc.

Back to work!
    Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• @mathieugarciamathieugarcia
    I have faith in your team. Looking forward to seeing what the future updates bring.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't understand why everyone is looking at BM3 to be a DAW.
  • @hansjbs said:
    I don't understand why everyone is looking at BM3 to be a DAW.

Beats me too?!

Personally I see BM3 more like a "sampling workstation" with a pattern sequencer similar to the classic Roland W30 and not as a 'do everything and replace all other apps' app. It's another tool among others.

I guess some people are desperately looking for 'Ableton Live for iOS' and I feel those wishes should be sent directly to Ableton...

• I personally always found ios' only real strengths over pc to be portability and expressive/performance kind of stuff via touchscreen.

For 'daw' work pc+daw+mouse+VSTs is way too far ahead/more powerful.

Been hoping BM3 develops in to a deep sampler 'instrument' (seems to have elements from octatrack/mpc live/digitakt/op1 etc and a bunch of its own strengths). With a good arsenal of performance tools. Something you can plug a controller in to and jam on/possibly even use as main sampler for shows etc. + it's killer sofa jam ideas scratch pad on top ;)

Everyone has their own take on what they'd like it to be/how they'll use it. Be interesting to see where intua take it..
  • edited July 2017

@hansjbs said:

Because BM2 is a DAW. If the ability to add Instruments to the main timeline were added back in and/or Banks increased the issue would disappear.

• @hansjbs said:

Because it is one.

• @ALB said:

@hansjbs said:

Because it is one.

It's almost there, just needs some tweaks.

• I dont understand how anybody could think BM3 isn't a Digital Audio Workstation, its main thrust is to work with Digital Audio, be it in the sampler or direct on the timeline.
    It is the literal definition of a DAW.
    Digital Audio sampler
    Unlimited Digital Audio tracks
    Powerful mixer with unlimited effects

Ok it needs a lot of tweaking here and there, and a better MIDI sequencer set up, but yep its a DAW, and a pretty good one too.
  • @philowerx said:

@ALB said:

@hansjbs said:

Because it is one.

It's almost there, just needs some tweaks.

Whether you like as a DAW or not, it does indeed function as a DAW. At times I wish it did things a bit smoother, easier, and in a more obvious fashion (I would feel better about this last if we had a full-fledged manual). Just growing pains, I think. I assume that it will have the functionality of BM2 before too long.

For me, first and foremost - it needs to be more stable. I really like many of the features, but I don't want to waste too much time with it and lose work. So I'm mostly waiting for updates to drop. Soon, I hope...

• @5pinlink said:
    I dont understand how anybody could think BM3 isn't a Digital Audio Workstation, its main thrust is to work with Digital Audio, be it in the sampler or direct on the timeline.
    Digital Audio sampler

Ok it needs a lot of tweaking here and there, and a better MIDI sequencer set up, but yep its a DAW, and a pretty good one too.

Totally agree!

• @philowerx said:

@5pinlink said:
    I dont understand how anybody could think BM3 isn't a Digital Audio Workstation, its main thrust is to work with Digital Audio, be it in the sampler or direct on the timeline.
    Digital Audio sampler

Totally agree!

The problem lies in the fact that some people don't actually think/know what a DAW was/is, they assume that a DAW is a MIDI sequencer with audio tracks, when it actually isn't, the MIDI sequencing is a nice part yes, and in some cases of DAWs it came first, but not always.

• edited July 2017

@5pinlink said:

@philowerx said:

@5pinlink said:
    Digital Audio sampler

Totally agree!

The problem lies in the fact that some people don't actually think/know what a DAW was/is, they assume that a DAW is a MIDI sequencer with audio tracks, when it actually isn't, the MIDI sequencing is a nice part yes, and in some cases of DAWs it came first, but not always.

I'm almost 60 years old and it's been fascinating watching and participating in the evolution from those strictly audio beginnings. Being a synth and sampler head from way back, I won't even consider using a DAW if it doesn't have audio and MIDI support. BM3 is so close to perfect, I can almost taste it.

• I agree with Philowerx, BM3 is super nice but if you bring back by any way you can the linearity of BM2 for arranging full songs , then you have a perfect application.

Some here argue thats BM is not a Daw, but to me its really close to one and the only thing that annoyed me on this new version (all improvements and new features are super welcomed , intua guys did a huge work) is this pattern way to deal with arrangement (a bit "a la" maschine) which is not the best solution workflow wise for us guys who produce music since 20+ years and wants a more traditionnal timeline editing mode.

So in a nutshell pls bring back the simple "add instrument" on the timeline that we can see directly the midi track of every instrument and record and arrange on the fly.

Thanks very much Intua, merci beaucoup pour votre superbe travail :)

• edited July 2017

Trust me, a lot of these people who proclaim BM3 as not a DAW because it doesn't have freeform MIDI (Yet by the way, @mathieugarcia has already said they are looking at how to bring it back) should go and try Cubase on the Atari ST, the most advanced software sequencer for tight hardware MIDI sequencing (to this day) MIDI out the kazoo, and as far from a DAW as you could possibly get haha

BM3 is a DAW, it is that simple, the missing features from BM2 will either be reborn or eclipsed, time moves on and so does technology and UI/X design, like i said, go look at how horrific the Cubase on Atari was, amazing sequencer, would anybody use it instead of a modern system, no because technology and UI/X has moved on, was it a better software MIDI sequencer, yes.

• edited July 2017

@5pinlink said:
    Trust me, a lot of these people who proclaim BM3 as not a DAW because it doesn't have freeform MIDI (Yet by the way, @mathieugarcia has already said they are looking at how to bring it back) should go and try Cubase on the Atari ST, the most advanced software sequencer for tight hardware MIDI sequencing (to this day) MIDI out the kazoo, and as far from a DAW as you could possibly get haha

BM3 is a DAW, it is that simple, the missing features from BM2 will either be reborn or eclipsed, time moves on and so does technology and UI/X design, like i said, go look at how horrific the Cubase on Atari was, amazing sequencer, would anybody use it instead of a modern system, no because technology and UI/X has moved on, was it a better software MIDI sequencer, yes.

Agree with that @5pinlink but take Maschine, the desktop version, majority of the users are not happy specially cause of the sequencer to deal with the scenes and pattern, its super nice to create a 8-16 bars idea but definetely not to do a full song. BM3 is a bit the same now while BM2 sequencer was super fast and well implemented. Basically keep all the BM3 new fonctionalities which are excellent and bring back the sequencer way to deal with things of BM2 and everybody is happy :)

I was a bit frustrated by BM3, cause at first i was really wowed by all new things and i created a 16 bars idea in 5 mns, sounding as good as my full daw, then i wanted to arrange the full song and even after having understood the pattern logic behind BM3 it took me forever to try arrange the full song and cause i had to create a pattern each time i wanted to add a new instrument variation instead of punch it in where ever i want to like in BM2 timeline, after having something like 17 instruments it became a real puzzle and i eventually gave up. We are not talking here about an old or new way, but the easiest way to implement a sequencer and the best workflow.

People tend to forget that patterns and scenes mode is usually well suited for simple groove boxes which have max 4 or 8 instruments, the issue is this kind of architecture becomes tedious when you start to do arrangement that exceed this 8 instruments logic. BM3 is way more than a simple groovebox, its a fabulous tool and almost full fledge DAW (yes i said it, it's a daw to me) that just needs to bring back his daw-like sequencer :)