Loooooong samples? How long is OK?

edited October 2009 in General
First off- loving this app. I haven't done much music in a few years, but I spent several years as a serious Cubase/Reason Junky (not to mention fun outboard gear)... I kinda got away from that since I was sick of staring at computers. But with beatmaker I can get my music fix anywhere!

Anyways I've got some grooves happening that I'm happy with, now I'd like to add some spoken word vocal samples over the top. Beatmaker manual warns against loading super long audio files... how long is too long?

Would I be better off to load 8 30-second files as opposed to 1 4-minute file? Or does it matter.
I assume mono is best, are there other things I should do to reduce file size (i.e. downsample) to reduce file size or don't bother?

Comments

• edited 7:52AM
    I used to have problems loading long samples upwards of two minutes on the first gen iPhone, but I recently got the 3gs and haven't had a single problem. No memory warnings, no performance issues.

If you have the first gen you might have to try your workaround, but you shouldn't have any problems with the latest model.