Is BeatMaker right for me? Mostly want rhythm tracks

edited December 2009 in General
Hi,

I've read the rave reviews for BeatMaker, but still would like anyone's thoughts on whether or not this is right for me. I'd primarily use it as a drum machine, practicing guitar and bass and using this from my iPod Touch into a nice PA.

I've never composed music, but who knows, I might try. I've played along enough with the free GrooveMaker to realize at least a drum machine device would be really helpful, esp. as I'm learning bass and need to know how to come up with good grooves on my own.

My biggest concerns are 1) getting past the learning curve quickly enough to just find some good grooves, 2) finding enough old-school rock rhythms and sounds pre-packaged (I enjoy techno and dance rhythms as well, though.)

Any advice much appreciated,
-- Joe

Comments

• edited 11:43AM
    Beatmaker is perfect for creating small drum loops. At some point you will need to get down and dirty and make them from your own samples. There are plenty of prepackaged drums loops available on the web for free, but you get what you pay for.
    Try gigbaby it's a four track recorder with built in drums for $1.. plenty of selection and easy to use.. beatmaker is not for you unless you are composing rhythms (that is, making beats) beatmaker is a composition tool.

If you want to add base/synth lines/etc with drums you can try groovemaker, it's a kind of press start and here you go loop mixer with customizations.

Then, for free.. you've got instant beat player which has nice clean kits and prebuilt beats, though not a bunch. (hey it's free..)

I don't want to bung up a sale for the beatmaker folks--but.. that's the honest answer.
    I make sampled beats and BeatMaker can work like an MPC if you use it right. With a few simple techniques
    like using Velocity adjustments ( even 0 for mutes or cut offs) and pitch you can compose in BeatMaker.

Look on this forum and YouTube for some tips.

BeatMaker can be for you if you use it in the right way ,and by that I mean the way that only a few of us know
    how from using similar programs.

They are called Work Arounds use those untill Intua adds the features we request.