Quantize strength

edited September 2011 in General
I want to request that quantize strength or a "soft" quantize feature be added to the next update. I almost never quantize 100% because it is too perfect and unhuman. Being able to reduce the quantize to 70 or 80% helps a great deal in keeping things like piano lines or acoustic drum tracks sounding more natural.

Comments

• Hi,

I believe you are talking about adding a swing function when recording. We'll probably be adding this feature in a future update.

Cheers,
    Colin
  • edited 5:43AM
    Not at all, swing lags every other note, common to jazz. What I am talking about is what some programs (MusicStudio) call "soft quantize"...Cubase calls it "iterative quantize"...and some programs just allow a "quantize strength" in percentages. All this means is that instead of snapping a note perfectly to the grid, it moves the note closer to the correct timing but not completely. For example if you are quantizing using a quantize strength of 80%, the notes will move 80% closer to the grid instead of every note being 100% perfect. This is critical to making music sound natural and human while allowing the ability to correct timing. "Hard" quantizing is good for electronic music like dance and such.

Please try to add this feature, the ability to only hard quantize went away decades ago
  • Hi,

There's a swing function which you can apply after a recording has been made.
    You can find it within the Pattern Editor, select the notes you want to soft quantize, and press the Quantize (small note icon) button. A popup will come up that will give you the possibility to add swing to the selected notes.

Cheers,
    Colin
  • edited 5:43AM
    I find this swing function confusing a bit. I use certain swing settings in reason, logic, and on hardware boxes etc...when i apply that value on beatmaker 2 i get totally different results. 57% swing on bm2 is nothing the same as it is on any other platform? Also i think this feature should have a percentage of swing parameter as well.

Ideally...
    The swing should be able to use a chop file for pole points.
    The swing should be similar with the swing of other machines and sequencers.
    The swing should allow the user to dial in percentage of strength.
    And if you wanna blow my mind have a heavy/light setting that can be altered to push pull.IE..a timeline that when placed in the front of the file adds push swing, and after the halfline pull swing? Jus an idea.