MIDI Drum Pads with BM2

edited February 2012 in General
Anyone using external drum pads to trigger Drum Machine in BM2? I know the powered-ness of the device is an issue but the Korg Nanos all work. Would love to hear about peeps' experiences.

Comments

• edited 7:28AM
    Yup... Been giggin out with bm2... The low latency setting is a must for playing live... Using IK multimedia irig midi as input (has USB power port so you don't run outta juice). Triggering with spd-sx, octapad II, and ext triggers via octapad's trigger inputs. Kinda cool to be using 1985 and 2011 tech together hahahaha...

I'm diggin it the most, but there are some features I'd like to see and use in future bm releases...

-- Pad linking (where one pad triggers another, like in Reason Kong)

-- track switching or patch changing via midi. I would like to switch between drum sound patches "in song"... So would need to switch tracks with a trigger or dynamically load patches with a trigger. If anyone knows how to do that with the current release, please lemme know.

Other than that it's pretty solid... What are you looking at doing?

-d
    Hi
    I am waiting for this
    399679_112859072167770_100003310333869_75450_162670421_n.jpg

408985_112859702167707_100003310333869_75452_1743606437_n.jpg

385476_112860125500998_100003310333869_75455_2079320698_n.jpg
    Hope it is out soon enough.
    It is akai mpc fly for ipad 2.
    Cheers
    Dtrain,

The whole recording and track changing system in BM2 isnt't the smoothest, I agree. Pressing home, toggling over to another track, and then entering the drum machine/instrument with another long click is not a streamlined interface.

To access tracks a little faster I can think of a couple implementations off the top of my head. In the home screen a double tap on the scrollable track buttons on the bottom could immediately launch that drum machine/instrument. It would be nice if the home screen was also a touch wider. Another convenient way to launch a drum machine/instrument should be from the sequence screen. If you tap the track name it brings up the mute/recording/delete/rename menu. It would benefit workflow if one could double tap the track names in the sequencer to launch those tracks' instruments or drum machines.
    I hope you can use that MPC hardware iPad thingy with other apps... Would be nice if all those buttons were MIDI. But then again it also would lock up the iPad for MIDI so you couldn't sequence any external devices (MIDI out) or use a MIDI keyboard at the same session.
    Guvnah,

I'm playing a full kit, so can't really take the time to reach over with drumstick in hand and try to switch something on the ipad screen... So a midi control note assigned to a drum trigger would work better in my case to switch track focus. Again, don't know if this is currently doable in bm 2.2... Guess I need to spend some time with the manual hahah...

Intua... Think "Live performance" and you'll revolutionize!

-d
    What's midi controller has both keys and pads? Looking for one. 16 pads would be nice...
    Sorry for the offtopic before
    I own akai mpk mini and is dope for being portable
    25 keys 8 pads and 8 knobs
    Look here
    http://www.akaipro.com/mpkmini
    Mpk 25 has 12 pads
    Look here
    http://www.akaipro.com/mpk25
    BTW akai said that the mpc fly will work with any app that support midi or so I read...

Cheers
    Novation is another which is a bit cheaper than Mpk but comes down to what features you want.